100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: New residential mid-tower set for Pier 4

New fence in place at this site. The barge, with the crane, has been moved to a position half way up the pier. Looks like it's being positioned to work on the pier. As you can see, on the left of the photo, this side of the pier is sinking. In some places as much as 2 feet.

Pier 4 Boston 5/31/12

Nice wide angle.

Yeah. I remember I think it was my first trip over to Anthony's. It was a company outing and they rented the function room. The food was very good, but I couldn't beleive how much it felt like I might fall through the floor (in someplaces it felt like the carpet was the only thing keeping me dry). The pier and the building are in pretty rough shape.

ran across this ... I don't think it's been posted before:

imagegen.ashx

http://hanoverco.com/capital-markets/hanover-pier-4

updated rendering:

imagegen.ashx

http://hanoverco.com/capital-markets/hanover-pier-4?val=equity

Hopefully they continue to realize this thing needs more and more glass until the whole building is covered in it.

No matter how they to dress it up, it's just another stump for Boston's seaside Stumptropolis.

No matter how they to dress it up, it's just another stump for Boston's seaside Stumptropolis.

At this point, it's pure damage control.

Well, I at least like the black glass.

That new rendering looks pretty good, it sucks there is a height limit but thats just what it is and what we are getting is a lot better than what is there now so Im happy with it. This is going to be an entire new destination in boston and the street life is looking like it will be pretty good so Im satisfied.

The border between the white surface and dark glass is too clearly defined.

Quoting the 2008 Globe article on Kairos Shen:

So what might Boston evolve into under Shen's watch? While he insists his personal design aesthetic is not relevant when it comes to the future look and feel of Boston, that's hard to believe after watching him draw all over an architect's preliminary designs. He likes understated, contemporary, modernist design. The man knows what he likes, and don't be surprised if that's what developers and architects begin to work into their proposals and designs.

But Shen also hates flash, or designers who toot their own horn architecturally, and he has the architectural background to know it when he sees it. "I prefer the understated and sophisticated approach," he says. "I feel like . . . everybody wants to make a monument. Developers push the architect to do it because they want to stand out, because they have to market themselves.

My question: How much does Shen control the aesthetics of new developments?

After reading this article about him, I can't help but feel that he is part of the reason why we can't really expect much more than the (largely) unimaginative, shitty prefab Elkus designs with a token glass curtain wall or two thrown in that we've come to see lately. While I agree with the Mies quote "It is better to be good than to be original," at the very least WE NEED A BETTER "GOOD" TEMPLATE. A generic all-glass building that isn't just a box, ex. with some curves/shapes/spire thrown in is easy to design and better than most of what is being proposed.

Also, I am extremely disappointed that Shen is against any kind of iconic building. What kind of message does this send about Boston? I'm not a huge fan of most of the brutalism we got in the 60s/70s, but at least Kallmann McKinnell & Knowles/Paul Rudolph had the balls to create powerful, iconic structures, just like Bulfinch and H.H.Richardson did back in the day. Boston is always going to be chiefly known for its historic treasures, but that DOESN'T mean that we can't continue to be architecturally relevant.

I think that with the right leadership Boston could become the Athens of America again. Sorry for the rant...I was hoping that since we haven't made much progress repairing what we lost with the destruction of the West End, Scollay Square/Pemberton Square that the Seaport could be different :(

The seaport is not going to get anything that can be as iconic as downtown could or the back bay. Everything is so short that it doesnt really matter. We just need a good street life here and we can have a view of the iconic towers that we hopefully will get downtown from the seaport. Im much more concerned with getting a few 600 footers and an 1000 footer in downtown than I am about the seaport i just want it to be nice for what it is.

There's a considerable difference between "understated, contemporary modernist design" and pure crap.

The seaport is not going to get anything that can be as iconic as downtown could or the back bay. Everything is so short that it doesnt really matter.

Most of what characterizes the Back Bay is short, no? The Hancock and Pru and a cast of lesser buildings are in the Back Bay, but this probably isn't what most people think of when they talk about the Back Bay, is it?

Regardless of height, the pre-war characteristics of the Back Bay -- small plots, diversified architecture, good mix of residential, retail and office -- could have been applied here. But they weren't ... and when you have a neighborhood where every block is a building and every building is a block, the most you can hope for is that some of those buildings be eye-catching or interesting as you've got bad bones from the get-go.

Most of what characterizes the Back Bay is short, no? The Hancock and Pru and a cast of lesser buildings are in the Back Bay, but this probably isn't what most people think of when they talk about the Back Bay, is it?

Regardless of height, the pre-war characteristics of the Back Bay -- small plots, diversified architecture, good mix of residential, retail and office -- could have been applied here. But they weren't ... and when you have a neighborhood where every block is a building and every building is a block, the most you can hope for is that some of those buildings be eye-catching or interesting as you've got bad bones from the get-go.

Itch -- the Back Bay and the South End had and have plenty of 19th Century Cookie Cutter buildings --its just not on the major streets where the rich folk built and could hire the best in architects.

It's not necessary or necessarily even desireable that each building be a direct competitor with its neighbors -- its much more important that to a large extent necessary that it be a good neighbor to its neighbors. The reason the Back Bay is successful is that as you go along block by block the architecture slowly evolved in time and the buildings reflect that process. The other thing that works in the Back Bay is that there are some very nice buildings that stand out from the others in style and finish -- but don't overpower them (with a few exceptions).

When calling for small blocks, like the Back Bay -- you've got to remember that the plan for filling assumed that all of the lots were laid-out for single family houses with the only exception being the churches. When the Back Bay was being constructed no one imagined Newbury Street or Boylston Street to be today's continuous strips of commerce - -and of course no one could imagine a JH tower (old or new).

Today - essentially all that you can afford to build in a valuable downtown area such as the SPID are steel or concrete frame structures with whatever type of cladding strikes your fancy hung on the frame. These kinds of buildings are much larger than the Back Bay single family houses (even if the families were quite large and wealthy) which were built out of masonry and wood -- no structural frame buildings. They perforce end up being sited on much larger plots and so there will be a lot fewer of these kinds of buildings.

However, while a challenge -- these larger buildings can still work-out well if they are neighborly to:
a) the pedestrian on the near sidewalk -- ground level activity and some interesting things at or slighly above walking eye field of view
b) the driver or rider on the street -- mostly how one building related to its neighbors shoulder to shoulder and across the street
c) pedestrian approaching from some distance -- say exiting from the T Station -- the overall view of the building from the ground up at least a few floors

Howerever, except for the view from a downtown highrise, a harbor ferry or landing at Logan - -the tops of the buildings in the SPID aren't all that important.

There's a considerable difference between "understated, contemporary modernist design" and pure crap.

And in his case, he meant crap. If anyone wants to talk about ego, it seems like Shen has the biggest one of all. This guy makes me sick.

7705381210_b9093b5431_b.jpg

7705379110_642f412a7a_b.jpg

7705377702_07265205e2_b.jpg

Suddenly... new development... EVERYWHERE!

Back