30 Dalton St. Residences | Back Bay

Really tall buildings in moderate sized cities like OKC and Indianapolis always come off as desperate and try-hard to me, and they always look goofy on the skyline. Context matters in architecture and I don't think these buildings can be evaluated on their own merit. No matter how nicely they are built I find them grotesque and insulting - like they think the ability to build an 800+ foot building makes them a better city than they are. You aren't fooling anybody.

Indy's is only 700' to the roof, with the 2 twin spires "officially" making it taller than the Hancock. As a hardcore Patriots fan and a hardcore skyscraper enthusiast, I have multiple reasons to despise cheating Indianapolis. Considering that I broke my toe the only time I was ever in that city, I do, in fact, hate the city's guts and everything about the place. It has all the vibrancy of a peanut butter sandwich.

Derailed_thread_by_StareOfGreed.jpg~c200

Really tall buildings in moderate sized cities like OKC and Indianapolis always come off as desperate and try-hard to me, and they always look goofy on the skyline. Context matters in architecture and I don't think these buildings can be evaluated on their own merit. No matter how nicely they are built I find them grotesque and insulting - like they think the ability to build an 800+ foot building makes them a better city than they are. You aren't fooling anybody.

So Boston must have been a desperate and try-hard city when they built the Pru. Come on, man.

So Boston must have been a desperate and try-hard city when they built the Pru. Come on, man.

Not that I'm a big fan of the Pru but you're comparing apples to oranges. Boston is a dense, large and old city running out of land. Plus the Pru was conceived as part of a greater "high spine", not some stand alone monument to waste and ego.

But this is off topic..

Last edited:
Not that I'm a big fan of the Pru but you're comparing apples to oranges. Boston is a dense, large and old city running out of land. Plus the Pru was conceived as part of a greater "high spine", not some stand alone monument to waste and ego.

But this is off topic..

Or maybe, just maybe, Devon Energy wanted to consolidate all their offices into one location, hence why, they built the 850 ft tower. Maybe they wanted to make both a statement and make their company more efficient. Maybe a city building tall towers aren't because they are a tryhard. I remember a couple of companies in Boston that did that with their two tallest towers too...not so apples to oranges are they huh?

Or maybe, just maybe, Devon Energy wanted to consolidate all their offices into one location, hence why, they built the 850 ft tower. Maybe they wanted to make both a statement and make their company more efficient. Maybe a city building tall towers aren't because they are a tryhard. I remember a couple of companies in Boston that did that with their two tallest towers too...not so apples to oranges are they huh?

Ok then. You think the Devon Tower is great. I think it's a horrible joke and a giant middle finger (literally) to decent architecture. Both are subjective opinions that can't be proven right or wrong so why not just leave it at that?

Yay, infill! It's still not looking any better the more the facade fills in.

After my most recent (and third) visit to Chicago last weekend, I think I have a much better feel for what sort of infill I wish we had at this site, but I think I'm pretty much resigned to this just being a background building that's only offensive in its austere boringness.

I don't think the building is bad as infill--pretty solid. My biggest disappointment is the greyness of the paneling. From my roof I have a great view of the cluster of buildings on this end of the Prudential and if the paneling would have been in a bright white, it would have really injected some visual stimulation among the rather drab CSP/Hilton/Sheraton surrounds.

Back