315 on A | 315 A Street | Fort Point

Re: 319 A Street Rear

What a great building. The facade is terracotta, right? How does terracotta compare to precast in terms of cost? Maybe it's just me, but I feel as if terracotta is leading to better looking buildings (this, MassArt, 45 Providence) than other types of precast.

9358713683_ed597542fe_b.jpg

Notice the slight color variations in the terra cotta on the tower portion which gives a pleasing variety of shades without being garish. Compare that with the godawful variations on Waterside place.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, "household" requires a legal family correct? You can't just round up two friends and call yourself a household can you?

Not necessarily. Household is generally defined as a family unit, but with the evolving understanding of "nontraditional family units" (unmarried couples/parents, gay partners prior to gay marriage, etc.) the courts have generally treated anything acting as a family unit (eating meals together, sharing cots, etc.) as being a household. Of course in a housing application you'd have to make that case for yourself.

What a great building. The facade is terracotta, right? How does terracotta compare to precast in terms of cost? Maybe it's just me, but I feel as if terracotta is leading to better looking buildings (this, MassArt, 45 Providence) than other types of precast.

Just a quick clarification: MassArt is actually not terracotta. It's Alucobond (metal paneling).

^ I'm pretty sure the "sharing costs" has to go beyond splitting the rent and utilities. Typical roommates do not make a household.

^ I'm pretty sure the "sharing costs" has to go beyond splitting the rent and utilities. Typical roommates do not make a household.

I agree. The list I cited was merely illustrative and no single factor (besides legal/blood relations) is dispositive of a group of people constituting a family unit. As for "sharing costs", I was more referring to group purchases of food or other tangible assets like furniture or appliances. For instance, housing co-ops often get around zoning laws this way.

When you take a close look at it you''ll see that the courts have tied themselves in knots trying to find a useful definition of "family unit", particularly when the our understanding of it has changed and the outdated definitions contained within our statutes/bylaws/ordinances would lead to ridiculous conclusions (i.e. the recent College Hill decision by the SJC.)

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/household

Household
Individuals who comprise a family unit and who live together under the same roof; individuals who dwell in the same place and comprise a family, sometimes encompassing domestic help; all those who are under the control of one domestic head.

For the purposes of insurance, the terms family and household are frequently used inter-changeably.

Cross-references
Head of Household.

West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
household n. a family living together, all of whom need not be related.

Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.

^ So that does exclude a bunch of friends rooming together?

So the official name is 315 on A, not 319. Maybe we should update the thread title?

Re: 315 on A (formerly 319 A Street Rear)

Anything similar to this in the works for the Fort Point area?

The messed up part about this is that this is a nice building. However, the people living here have to stare at Waterside Place and the people in Waterside place get to stare at 315 A.

It is the ToC Paradox

Not sure of materials, or current status, but 399 Congress has a similar look..

residences%20at%20399-thumb.jpg

It was approved a while ago no idea when construction is starting though.

Same architects - ADD Inc.

good, maybe there will be 2 new attractive buildings in the area. Maybe seaport square will surprise me but I doubt it.

^it's funny how in just one year everybody has forgotten the awesomeness of Liberty Wharf. So that''s at least 2 nice buildings.

^it's funny how in just one year everybody has forgotten the awesomeness of Liberty Wharf. So that''s at least 2 nice buildings.

Don't forget about Channel Center. Pwc looks promising as well and im not sure about the general consensus on the ICA.

Back