45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

A dozen new 45 Province listings have hit MLS. This would directly contradict any rumors that they are going rental anytime soon (or going to auction).

It's interesting that they now consider themselves in "Beacon Hill" according to MLS.

45 Province Street U:702 1535 SF, 6 room, 2 bed, 1.5 bath $1,159,000
45 Province Street U:2N 1615 SF, 6 room, 2 bed, 2 bath $1,188,000
45 Province Street U:1905 1291 SF, 5 room, 2 bed, 2 bath $1,194,000
45 Province Street U:1406 1405 SF, 6 room, 2 bed, 2 bath $1,195,000

5/31 Kind of sort of taking its place among the skyline

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

Abomination

IMG_4441.jpg

How exactly did that wall happen anyways? Is there an abutting footprint next to it?

My guess is that value engineering eliminated the stairwell windows above the commonly used floors (1-4).

I like the wall. It's unusual and makes the glass and brick edges more noticeable. I think fake windows or stairwell windows that nobody looks through would be just as aesthetically meaningless as a blank wall, and would diminish the framing. It's actually a bit like an inverse portrait. The content is on the edges, and the blank part (normally the frame) causes the content to stand out. We are just accustomed to seeing an external blankness surrounding the content, but why restrict ourselves to that?

People on this forum seem to think that profit is not involved in any development. The developer is always looking to maximize his profit and windows on that side would have added a lot of value so for some reason the developer did not add windows.There was a plan to add a high rise addition to the Tremont Temple and that is probably why there are no windows. Sooner or latter this addition will happen.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=3114&highlight=tremont+temple

lets hope^ today blended in with 53 state
441.jpg

The 'blank wall' is indeed where the core of the building is - elevators, mechanical shafts, stairs, etc. The lot is very narrow - only about 50' - so wrapping units around the core was not possible. The lot is hemmed in by an alley on that side, separating 45P from the Omni Parker hotel - so for the first approx 15 floors - the side/rear of the hotel is about 20' from that wall. Given that it would be a solid wall, it came down to how to compositionally express it. I like the description above of a reverse frame. The idea was to use a different material, other than the terra cotta and glass - so metal panel was used. To me, the larger zone of solidity is less an issue than that of its exact articulation - which is perhaps too monolithic. Some subtle tonal variation in the color of panel, creating an interesting patterning would have helped alleviate the single-toned monolithic-ness of that plane.

a little closer,still wish they finnish the top better than this .Is this tower or its top lit up at nite?
483.jpg
481.jpg

Unfortunate about the wall but it's a nice building otherwise. I like the street level..........btw wouldn't 111 Huntington have looked amazing in place of One Beacon St. Such a prominant spot for a building that can be found in just about every other city.

If the city ever forced a radical reclad and sidewalk meeting buildout of the ground levels (not the anemic glass cubes and overhands that were grafted on a few years ago, but something significant like the Saltonstall) of One Beacon, One Federal, and One(?) Boston Place, the skyline and street level experience would thank them.

I don't think One Boston Place's wraparound plaza is a problem; the new and empty storefronts sure, but I've always found that open space to be well used by both workers and tourists.

a huge advertising banner has been put up on the blank wall...

it says...

"The Height of City Living"

couldn't snap any photos...

yep it's for real allright...doesnt look as 'stickerish' in person though...that's just too nice of a photo

HDR: the autotune of digital photography.

Holy fucking shit.

Where is a restrictive sign ordinance when you actually need it?

Do not tell politicians about the availability of this adspace, or we'll be getting "Beacon Hill is broken" billboards up there forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back