93 Mass Ave (Other Side Cafe) | 93-97 Massachusetts Ave | Back Bay

Re: 93 Massachusetts Ave

I was as big a doubter as anyone about Best Buy----and I don't even know if they've managed a year in the black yet---but they have solid amount of traffic because it's more than just music. And it's not just televisions.

Maybe Tower Records at its peak had more visitors, but that record store model is dead. You're older and maybe don't get it yet, but the latest music is downloaded on iTunes/Amazon. The labels aren't paying for extravagant release parties anymore. The music store as a destination is a dinosaur concept. Why lament those "good old days"?

I was as big a doubter as anyone about Best Buy----and I don't even know if they've managed a year in the black yet---but they have solid amount of traffic because it's more than just music. And it's not just televisions.

Maybe Tower Records at its peak had more visitors, but that record store model is dead. You're older and maybe don't get it yet, but the latest music is downloaded on iTunes/Amazon. The labels aren't paying for extravagant release parties anymore. The music store as a destination is a dinosaur concept. Why lament those "good old days"?

Every time I go into that Best Buy, the cashier lines always have a good amount of people in them. I would like to think they do just fine.

Best Buy is great for eletronic gear (tv's, pc's/laptops, etc.) and mainstream music and DVD's. For any non-mainstream music and foreign/obscure/artsy movies forget Best Buy; I've had luck at Newbury Comics.

That said, the Best Buy near me gets plenty of foot traffic.

I honestly can't imagine a worse place to purchase music, movies, or consumer electronics than Best Buy.

Full disclosure: I'm a fucking snob.

Er, but you can't exactly buy a TV at the Apple Store. Or is yours vintage?

Everything best buy sells can be found cheaper on amazon.com.

Is it good for the street? No, but it saves me money

Best Buy selling TVs probably isn't so great for the street, anyway. It's not like you can walk them home, in most cases.

Plus they don't even put TVs in the street level windows like some old-timey appliance store...

TVs in those windows would lead to many attempted smash and grabs at that location. I doubt Best Buy wanted to spend the money on the security glass required to avoid that problem.

TVs in those windows would lead to many attempted smash and grabs at that location. I doubt Best Buy wanted to spend the money on the security glass required to avoid that problem.

Plus, the property wasn't really designed for that sort of display, given that 75% of the retail space is on level 2 or 3, and that the ADA ramp is inside the entire west set of windows ...

Sidewalk TVs would be useful for sporting events.

Sidewalk TVs would be useful for sporting events.

Very popular in the window of Cardullo's in Harvard Square, which shows every Red Sox game. They pipe the sound out to the sidewalk and people set up chairs to watch. Sometimes they show other sports events as well, such as Patriots and Celtics.

Everything best buy sells can be found cheaper on amazon.com.

Is it good for the street? No, but it saves me money

I would rather and do, limit what I buy online. Prety much only plane tickets and sporting event/concert tickets. I prefer to go to a store, see what I am buying and get it that day.

I honestly can't imagine a worse place to purchase music, movies, or consumer electronics than Best Buy.

Full disclosure: I'm a fucking snob.

Hahaha, gave me a good chuckle. I feel like that around some of my friends.

I would rather and do, limit what I buy online. Prety much only plane tickets and sporting event/concert tickets. I prefer to go to a store, see what I am buying and get it that day.

Amazon actually offers same day delivery in Boston. Order by 11am, get it by 7pm.

BRA Approves Revised 93 Massachusetts Avenue Project in Back Bay

The Board approved revised plans for the 93 Massachusetts Avenue/407 Newbury Street project, which was previously approved on June 3, 2008 as an approximately 48,862 square foot commercial development that consisted of a rehab of the existing four-story building and an approximate 27,362 square foot, 65 foot new addition along the side and rear of the site. The development team, Kensington Realty Trust, has now modified the project, reducing its size and mass (now 30,140 square feet), needing no zoning relief.

The height of the new addition has been reduced to 54 feet, the same height as the existing structure. The present uses of the property, which are general retail/restaurant on the ground and basement levels and office uses on floors two through four, will continue in the renovated building.

Total project cost is approximately $16 million. Construction is expected to commence in spring of 2011. The project is expected to create approximately 120 construction jobs.

Unsurprisingly, pretty non-descript looking.

93+mass+view2_op1_0913.jpg

Does The Other Side Cafe remain, or get demolished, in this new plan?

Was it worth it, just for that roof terrace, to break the streetwall and lose some square footage? Is this really much better than what's there now? Looks like an oldish school building.

this sucks! Though glad to see they saved the old building,really what is the point of the new addition?

Back