Aerials

Yeah, there still be farmland in Allston in 1925. It was fast reaching its end because of the boom times of the '20s, but financial panics in the teens hit developers hard and WWI caused further delays in building. Some grasslands and agriculture on the outskirts ended up lingering on a bit longer than 1890's planners expected them to.

Great link, goldenretrievers. What a fascinating doc. Thanks for posting it.

It's astounding how far the Harbor Islands have come since 1969. Raw sewage being dumped into the harbor, smoldering mountains of garbage, heaps of broken glass, decrepit ruins -- it was like some post-apocalyptic landscape. And the city itself, amidst the height of urban renewal, didn't look much better. So bleak. It's like looking into some dark parallel universe. Boston is still trying to fix the mistakes of the second half of the 20th century.

Wow, great find! I was 19 when this video was made, so so incredible that so much has happened in Boston since, mostly for the good of the city. It was like Boston was in a coma for years and woke in the early 60's, her first steps coming back to life (from my eyes living in Bridgewater) was with the building of the Pru, followed by Government Center, then the Aquarium, then Quincy Market, along with the the opening up of the harbor with many of the old warehouses being restored into apartments and condos. So amazing to see so many changes, to ride to the top of the Pru, visit the Aquarium, hang out at Quincy Market, it was so unlike anything seen in the city. The Big Dig, the Harbor Clean-up, the expansion of the HarborWalk, the Seaport, and so much more. The old girl's back and more beautiful and vibrant than ever. The only thing that no longer exists that brought positive thoughts for a brief moment was seeing that Yellowbird at Logan.

Amazing video. Boston was a trainwreck in those days.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Wish I got a shot right at take off. Avalon North makes such an awesome impact on the skyline on the north side.

DZH that shows perfectly how much Boston has grown. Its becoming huge.

Damn this has been the week for the best aerials we've ever gotten in this amount of time.

Back