14670372558_e280f797f8_b.jpg

14854517094_69b91bf9a1_b.jpg

14670358399_e18d4dd7ef_b.jpg

14833975806_30d8863139_b.jpg

14856619722_bb9a940d6a_b.jpg

14853870771_8ca488c582_b.jpg

14670311068_e2150d5146_b.jpg

14856577292_cc65d2a8bb_b.jpg

Is that a regular Starbucks or a Dumb Starbucks?

Also LOVE those new buildings.

Brighton Beer Garden owners want to turn it into
bbeer.jpg

Of course, the neighbors love it - they just want half the height and twice the parking, which much more befits a "traditional village center"

http://www.universalhub.com/2014/owner-brighton-center-brewpub-wants-replace-it

Question: As a Brighton resident, how do I find out about these meetings where such crazy nimbyism goes down? And how did such resistance generally crumble in Southie, where buildings like this seem to be starting every few weeks now with hardly any noise?

Of course, the neighbors love it - they just want half the height and twice the parking, which much more befits a "traditional village center"

I didn't read it that way. The neighbors want the development to rent spaces from an existing lot, not add new spaces to the project.

Also, this would be about 3 more stories than exist anywhere else in Brighton Center. I agree that "small town" does not remotely describe this area, but I don't think it's NIMBYism run amok to ask for a building to conform with those around it. It might not be the best idea, but it isn't crazy.

I didn't read it that way. The neighbors want the development to rent spaces from an existing lot, not add new spaces to the project.

Valid point - perhaps I overstated the argument - but assuming that's a non-starter, the result is the same.

I don't think it's NIMBYism run amok to ask for a building to conform with those around it. It might not be the best idea, but it isn't crazy.

No, it is indeed crazy. "I'll let my neighbor build a house, but only as long as it looks like my house." And that's an argument soundly rooted in what... some old-timey conception of aesthetics in Celebration, Florida? It's not soundly rooted in anything else. We know that diverse architecture in an area works fine. We know diverse uses in an area is a plus. We know that that three additional stories of an apartment building will not make an entire neighborhood suddenly unlivable. So... yeah, it's crazy. And yet it somehow works, because you can't fight crazy with logic.

Anyway... what's the as-of-right zoning here along Market?

Brighton Beer Garden owners want to turn it into
bbeer.jpg

http://www.universalhub.com/2014/owner-brighton-center-brewpub-wants-replace-it

Question: As a Brighton resident, how do I find out about these meetings where such crazy nimbyism goes down? And how did such resistance generally crumble in Southie, where buildings like this seem to be starting every few weeks now with hardly any noise?

https://m.facebook.com/BAIAonline?_rdr

South Boston does not have a Harvard that has eaten up this town. The residents in this area have had to fight some big battles. They are smart and they know how to ask all the right questions and push all the right buttons.

They are also very angry ...

cca

South Boston does not have a Harvard that has eaten up this town. The residents in this area have had to fight some big battles. They are smart and they know how to ask all the right questions and push all the right buttons.

They are also very angry ...

cca

Wow. You make Harvard seem like such a negative influence.

But the good news is there are 49 states that would fight for the chance to take the ominous threat of Harvard off of Allston's hands. So they CAN yet preserve all those warehouses and grass pockmarked parking lots.

Last edited:
Actually it IS Harvard that has been "preserving all those warehouses and grass pockmarked parking lots." Landbanking.

The neighbors want to see the land developed.

Actually it IS Harvard that has been "preserving all those warehouses and grass pockmarked parking lots." Landbanking.

Mea culpa. Multitasking today and my typing got ahead of my brain -not the first time. (I KNEW there was a reason why Bostonbred made perfect sense today!).

Yeah, come live in Allston for a bit and you'll have a whole new perspective on Harvard.

But not developed too much.
North side of Western Ave., west of N. Harvard St, I believe all the properties that Harvard owns are fully leased, or nearly so. the Boston Skating Club property will be available for something, once the Skating Club builds its new place next to the 'Pike. (Neighbors aren't gushing over that move and development.)

The NW corner of Barry's Corner has the Samuels' project and a second building, owned by Harvard. The NE corner of Barry's corner is the old Charlesview, which will be demolished, and become the site of another Harvard building. multi-use, but not cultural.

South side of Western Ave, west of N. Harvard Stt., there is the new Charlesview, and further housing near Holten St., where there was a machine shop IIRC. The remnant parking lot that remains is for remnant supermarket for the once-upon-a-time glorified strip mall. Harvard Ceramics took over the old Verizon garage, and I believe a local Harvard-sponsored education learning center has moved there as well. (Was on the north side of Barry's Corner.)

South side of Western Ave., east of N. Harvard St. Development of he SE corner of Barry's Corner is blocked by Harvard not owning all the parcels there. Further east, work has again started om the new Science buildings. Further east on Western Ave, there is to be a hotel/conference center.

Aside from that, the empty former trucking terminals and the Beacon Yards and the Mass Pike Allston tolls/interchange are all owned by Harvard, and yes, there are no development projects on the horizon for this land. So it is land-banking.

Across the street, the various new buildings will all be HBS, which is still so cramped for space it is demolishing two of its existing buildings.

As for Allston, only 10 percent of the housing units are owner-occupied.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/5/5/allston-housing-investor-students/?page=2

When one combines Allston with Brighton, the percentage is about 20 percent.

So exactly who are the complaining NIMBYs in Allston, and what properties do they own relative to the land-banked Harvard land near Genzyme and the Beacon Yards?

North Allston has a higher owner occupancy rate than south of the pike, in the parts not owned by Harvard. Harvard used straw buyers to gather up many of the properties and sit on them, preventing others from coming along and doing something.

People have been waiting for Harvard to start developing for over ten years now. They finally did get something going, just this past year, in Barry's Corner. That's great, but, it's about time. I know that Harvard moves at a glacial pace, but that doesn't make it good for the neighborhood.

Many locals envisioned Western Ave as a vibrant business district, both west and east of Barry's Corner. Harvard is supposedly on board with that, but again, they move slow. And they renovated in place some problem parcels that were supposed to be changed, like the McDonald's, instead of rebuilding them in a more street-friendly orientation.

North Allston has a higher owner occupancy rate than south of the pike, in the parts not owned by Harvard. Harvard used straw buyers to gather up many of the properties and sit on them, preventing others from coming along and doing something.

I don't buy the argument that during the worst financial crisis in generations, independent developers were clamoring to buy contaminated industrial properties in a gritty part of Boston 6+ miles from CBD so that they could turn them into some sort of mixed-use Valhalla.

Harvard owns a lot more than just the old industrial parcels.

Yes, they used straw buyers (Beal, IIRC) early-on. And yes they own a lot more land than the old freight terminals and the Beacon yards. But Beacon yards / the Pike land was bought in a bidding contest, BU losing out.

I have always thought the locals had unrealistic expectations about retail/commercial development at both Barry's Corner and along Western Ave west of North Harvard St.

With Arsenal Mall just a bridge away, what sort of significant retail was ever going to come and survive on Western Ave.? A Family Dollar store?

Many in Allston don't want undergraduates near/in Barry's Corner. The new basketball pavillion is too close. And certainly no bars, taverns, or other 'attractive nuisances' that would draw undergraduates. Some objected to Stone Hearth pizza getting a license to serve wine/beer. In short, whatever development occurs in Barry's Corner should be antiseptic, --no BU/Harvard/BC students need come near. It will be as lively as the center of South Hadley.

Harvard owns a lot more than just the old industrial parcels.

The Swiss Bakery parcel had LNAPL and PCB plumes from the parcels east, south and west all encroaching on it. It's not just the old industrial parcels that got contaminated.

They spent six figures just removing contaminated soil before even counting buildout costs. All so they could rent the space to a Swiss Fucking Bakery. Do you think Harvard is making a killing on that deal? Do you think an independent developer (without an interest in the long-term prospects of the neighborhood) would have done that?

Back