Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Yes, they used straw buyers (Beal, IIRC) early-on. And yes they own a lot more land than the old freight terminals and the Beacon yards. But Beacon yards / the Pike land was bought in a bidding contest, BU losing out.

I have always thought the locals had unrealistic expectations about retail/commercial development at both Barry's Corner and along Western Ave west of North Harvard St.

With Arsenal Mall just a bridge away, what sort of significant retail was ever going to come and survive on Western Ave.? A Family Dollar store?

Many in Allston don't want undergraduates near/in Barry's Corner. The new basketball pavillion is too close. And certainly no bars, taverns, or other 'attractive nuisances' that would draw undergraduates. Some objected to Stone Hearth pizza getting a license to serve wine/beer. In short, whatever development occurs in Barry's Corner should be antiseptic, --no BU/Harvard/BC students need come near. It will be as lively as the center of South Hadley.

By "many in Allston" do you mean Paul Berkely and the Allston Civic association? Hah.

I also agree that there are a lot of unrealistic expectations. Yes it has been 10 years, but look at the pace of other projects throughout Boston. How quickly should the purchasing of the land, the planning, the design, working with the city, etc. have happened? What's realistic?

I live in Lower Allston. I know many old-schoolers who talk about Harvard as if it's the enemy but they were certainly excited when the underwhelming two-family duplex next door to me was sold 4 hours after it was put on the market (for a ridiculous asking price).

joebos, back in another decade when Havard proposed its first building at Barry's Corner, which was to be built where the former Verizon garage / now Harvard Ceramics building is, there were objections. The building was to be used for art conservation/storage, and had exhibition galleries on the second/third floor, IIRC. (Design was contemporary, done by a California firm whose name escapes me).

The objections were directed at both the design and purpose: i.e., the building and galleries were not grand enough for their vision of a re-vitalized Barry's Corner. And neighbors on the west side of N Harvard St (SE corner of Barry's Corner) objected because gallery-goers could peer into their backyards. A PM from an occasional poster here claimed that, supposedly, the abutting neighbors were willing to sell their four or five houses to Harvard as a block. And Harvard declined the offer.

One thing about Harvard's land acquisitions in Allston is it seems to have studiously avoided buying residential property. I believe it bought only one, and that is a three decker on the north side of Western Ave., way down near the Olmstead stables.

It wasn't that Harvard couldn't afford the asking price for the N. Harvard St. block, but I'll speculate and say that Harvard didn't want to set a precedent, because then, where does the willingness to sell and Harvard's buying of residential properties stop?

I'm sure there are underlying tensions in Lower Allston, between property owners with $ visions and want Harvard to hurry along with its development, and property owners who want to stay in their property for a long-time.

And its not without precedent for Harvard to buy residential property. It has done so in Cambridge, although the purchases seem to have been of distressed buildings, which Harvard then renovated at great expense (private developers wouldn't spend that kind of money). If you walk around Green St., Banks St. Athens Terrace?, look for houses with the fire alarm annunciator by the front door.

banks18_ext_02_detail.jpg

^^^ 18 Banks St Cambridge, an example.

I live on Glenmont Road in Brighton (a one-way sandwiched between Foster and Lake for those of you unfamiliar with the area) and I received a notice in the mail last night from an architect looking to redevelop a single-story structure located behind 8 Glenmont Road. Details are few (they haven't submitted or even designed anything yet), but they are holding a meeting at the site next week to get input before they start the design process. What I know: the structure tucked away back there is a single-story garage. According to the letter, they would like refurbish the garages and build ten units on top. I hope to go to the meeting and if I can; I'll post an update should there be anything worth sharing.

Map (It's the structure immediately behind 8 Glenmont): https://www.google.com/maps/place/8...2!3m1!1s0x89e378467448128f:0xa4eab6126141150c

As I was driving by the other day, I noticed activity at the site of the 99 Tremont St Apartments (BRA page: http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...lopment-projects/99-tremont-street-apartments). I only got a quick glance, but it looked like they were taking soil samples. The trucks that used to populate that lot are also gone and a fence has gone up. It's pretty quiet now, but it looks like there might be some construction equipment behind the fence. This is my first weekend home in almost a month; I plan on doing a walking tour of Brighton and hopefully snapping some photos of the various projects.

Concept for 145 unit, 6 story, 9000 sf retail, 100 parking spot development at 5 Washington Street (the gas station behind Whole Foods).

Sorry for crummy pictures.

IMG_20141002_195932.jpg

IMG_20141002_200052.jpg

Oh nice, good to see more density there. I walk by there every so often and always thought the space was wasted. Seems like the render also includes ground-floor retail, which would be great there. Also this development will take the space of the next door office building too it seems? I wonder if the zipcar space that's currently there will be moved into the new building's parking.

The developer stated that they were hoping to have 10 Zipcar spots included. But this is all very preliminary. They have not yet filed with the BRA.

And of course, the usual suspects were out decrying the density, so it may yet get cut back. And who knows what Brookline will try to do, even if the development is entirely on the Boston side of the line...

There were honestly people decrying the density? It's a six-story, 100+ unit building surrounded by other 5-10 story, 100+ unit buildings, immediately adjacent to a grocery store, and a short walk in either direction from the B & C lines.

Some people...

Yes, there were people whining about density and denying the existence of the ten story buildings around it. The architects were having none of it, thankfully.

Concept for 145 unit, 6 story, 9000 sf retail, 100 parking spot development at 5 Washington Street (the gas station behind Whole Foods).

Is this Boston or Brookline? Not trying to be pedantic, just curious.

Google shows it as Brookline, but being 5 Washington suggests Boston, right? Not sure where the line is here.

The parcels are on both sides of the lines but the developers are sticking to the Boston side for new structures.

Back