Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Allston and Brighton are really turning on.

An amazing transformation.

IMG_9503_zpssojiwsby.jpg
[/URL] http://s301.photobucket.com/user/boston02124/media/2017 summer/IMG_9506_zpslj0eu5td.jpg.html

Does anyone know anything about these apartment buildings just downhill? They're kinda like an early version of an ugly building, but Im kinda drawn to them. I guess they're technically art deco?

Is that Mt. Hood Rd and the old Hasiotis Funeral Home up at the top in the photo?

Does anyone know anything about these apartment buildings just downhill? They're kinda like an early version of an ugly building, but Im kinda drawn to them. I guess they're technically art deco?

We actually have a separate thread for the development Boston02124 has photographed (nice photos, btw)...it is here:

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=5426&highlight=the+aberdeen

Meanwhile regarding the older buildings in the neighborhood: yes, there was some period art-deco in that area. The architect of the new development discusses the art-deco motif being used in the new development as inspired by it (though he doesn't mention the adjacent buildings specifically):

From Boston Magazine:
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/property/article/2015/10/27/the-aberdeen-brighton/
Architect Stephen Tise, of Newton’s Tise Design Associates, cruised the area for design cues; he found them at the art deco–style Parklake Apartments overlooking the Chestnut Hill Reservoir. “We were inspired by them—especially the industrial-style, oversize corner windows and polychromatic brick detailing,” says Tise, who hopes to echo “iconic New York art deco residential buildings from the 1930s.”

Last edited:
We actually have a separate thread for the development Boston02124 has photographed (nice photos, btw)...it is here:Thanks I Wd have never found it, what was here before?

Thanks I Wd have never found it, what was here before?

The parcel had a gas station on it, which was torn down and abated a few years ago. Parcel sat vacant for a while as the development plans were sold a couple of times (John A. Keith provided the history on the other thread). At some point the neighboring Best Western hotel got involved and worked this into their strategic plans (I'm not sure if the parcel was augmented with land from the hotel parcel). Either way, the current developer bought in late last fall and immediately kickstarted this after it had been stalled for a while.

Is that Mt. Hood Rd and the old Hasiotis Funeral Home up at the top in the photo?

Yes.

Maybe Mods can move Boston's photos from post 1390 over to the project thread?

^
The original proposal sounded pretty cool, but I seem to remember it being watered down. Glad about the approval but I hope it's a good development, given its location.

5 floors vs 6 floors is critical in hyper-sensitive Boston,

that a project gets held up a year–because it just matters that much.

Utopia is a daily struggle.

You get it wrong and people could die.

5 floors vs 6 floors is critical in hyper-sensitive Boston,

that a project gets held up a year–because it just matters that much.

Utopia is a daily struggle.

You get it wrong and people could die.
Sadly true. Exactly what did the activists accomplish here? Nothing has been improved, only time, money, and energy have been wasted. This particular case isn't that important as only one unit was lost but what of the projects that get reduced by 40, 50 units? That's eighty or so people who won't have homes because they will never get built. This is something to celebrate? I guess to the self-absorbed, traffic-fearing, on-street parking entitled neighborhood organizations it is because they unfailingly behave this way every time.

Back