Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

It's only 1/2 mile up to the B line too. Between that, the new CR stop, and the 66 and 57 running pretty regularly, it's a good transit spot. I'd be nervous about building condos there, but who knows what the area will be like when New Balance and Lower Allston get built out. Maybe Deep Ellum is a leading indicator of what's to come.

If this works out for him, for $1.5mil he got an absolute steal. Wish I were this gutsy!

Dude, this is right across Union Square from my house. I like the no additional cars idea a lot, and I hope it works out that way, because an additional input of traffic right there is probably going to jack up the traffic in the Square something fierce (more than it already is). If it works, though, I would be a fan of the additional retail space. Also, I agree that once the commuter rail station happens, whoever lives here would be able to take prime advantage.

Meanwhile, in Brighton:

8392162027_ff271a3e2d_b.jpg

375 Market:

8393247188_3486a8ea74_b.jpg

8392161549_6c5400c916_b.jpg

I didn't get any closer than that ^ today on account of how chilly it is, but here's a shot from yesterday with the phone:

8392163045_6726cf7f85_b.jpg

I don't really have a problem with all the parking in the Mt Vernon projects. I think a lot of it is more "car storage" then active parking. I used to live on Royce Road, and in the winter you would see a lot of cars in the lot behind sit covered in snow for weeks without moving, I imagine its the same with these garages. I would much rather this happen in a garage then taking up a street space.

The parking is there because NIMBYs wanted it there, and Bruce was only willing to push the point so far. I've talked to him about it. He managed to get a sub-1:1 ratio on one of the projects by promising that overflow would go to his other garages.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/allston_brighton/2013/01/demolition_underway_at_site_of.html

Demolition for New Balance’s planned $500-million development in Brighton has begun.

The former Barry Controls and Briggs New York warehouse buildings and the adjacent parking lots are being torn down as part of the first phase of demolition.

Related

New Balance, new headquarter designs
Crews began razing the property at 38-40 Guest St., which is visible from the Massachusetts Turnpike next door, in November. Demolition there is expected to finish within the next two weeks, followed by site work, company spokesman Matthew LeBretton said in an e-mail.
A building on adjacent property, at 180 Guest St., is scheduled to be razed in March, and also followed by site work, he said.

That building was has most recently housed one of two headquarters run by the Massachusetts Electric Construction Company, a national electric contractor.

New Balance hopes to break ground on new construction later this year, LeBretton said.

The development next door to the company’s existing headquarters calls for building a 1.45 million square-foot “health and wellness district” across about 14 acres of property.

The project plans include constructing a new headquarters, sports complex, hotel, and up to three office buildings along with retail, restaurant and recreation space on Guest Street and a new commuter rail station.

New Balance has said it hopes to complete the six-phase project within about a four-year span. The commuter rail station is expected to open in 2014. The headquarters, sports complex and the hotel are expected to be completed by 2015. The office buildings are expected to be built by 2017.

which is visible from the Massachusetts Turnpike next door.

I have a great view of the site on my ride into work each morning on the Pike. Looking forward to when construction starts and seeing the progress from day to day.

Try to extort as much as you can ...

I think having to include "affordable" housing units in these are enough "community benefits".

Unions, Neighbors Criticize Allston Apartment Project, By James Cronin, Banker & Tradesman

Calls for an all-union job with local workers and a community benefits package to mitigate construction and other issues aimed at a major Allston property owner peppered a community meeting Wednesday night for a new apartment project from the Mount Vernon Co.

The Boston-based landlord has proposed a new 108-unit rental project at 75 Brainerd Road, just a block from another 79-unit apartment project the company has under construction at 66 Brainerd Road. Mount Vernon's first development project in the area, a 100-unit property called the Element at 65 Brainerd, is already complete ...

Then there's the fact the project is not planned as a purely union job ...

Complete story: http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news153688.html

The company is planning to commission about $100,000 of public art to display onsite and on the median that leads cars along Griggs Street from Commonwealth Avenue.

Lovely reporting there. The 'median' along Griggs Street?

If you have more specific questions, I was there. Haven't had time to type up more.

The construction has unleashed a swarm of rats on neighboring buildings and Mt Vernon did not do enough to mitigate that. The Vicomte has spent upwards of $40,000 on pest control.

A few nearby condo-owners reported that the addition of cars from the completed building is causing traffic to pile up on Brainerd Road. All those additional off-street parking spaces that were forced on the development by the BRA and one set of car-zealous residents are now causing headaches for another set of residents by turning Brainerd Road into a congested thoroughfare. What a surprise!

The warm 2011-2012 winter, poor trash management, and an increased focus by the City of Boston on Back Bay and Beacon Hill have also contributed to the "swarm of rats."

I drove on Brainard daily for the past year plus a few months every single day 10+ times a day. The only "traffic" is from the fact that one side or the other is typically blocked off due to construction, and even when its not the construction workers tend to double park. Brainard is still pretty sleepy. At most traffic backs up 5 cars deep at the intersection with Harvard, and that's typically only when someone is trying to make a left.

Maybe my drivers and I using corey-brainard as a bypass for comm are this "additional traffic"?

I drove on Brainard daily for the past year plus a few months every single day 10+ times a day. The only "traffic" is from the fact that one side or the other is typically blocked off due to construction, and even when its not the construction workers tend to double park. Brainard is still pretty sleepy. At most traffic backs up 5 cars deep at the intersection with Harvard, and that's typically only when someone is trying to make a left.

Maybe my drivers and I using corey-brainard as a bypass for comm are this "additional traffic"?

Maybe? :)

I'm curious: why are you using it as a bypass for Comm Ave?

Back