Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

I passed by the New Balance site -- hasn't changed since demolition concluded.

Took a trip down to Brainerd Road during the 4:30 downpour and the new guy is looking pretty sharp.

9356576500_6517b6a336_b.jpg

I just went with my sister today while she signed a lease on an apartment here (The Edge). Interior is nearing completion (they say one week for finishing touches), move-in starting August 1. This building is as advertised, inside and out. She's going to be paying $2700 for a 2-bedroom. The apartment isn't huge, but very nice. Sadly none of the pictures turned out great. Overheard a couple of the staff talking, I'm pretty sure they rented out the final apartment today (or maybe there is one left).

Those are great buildings - as good as most of what's going up in Copenhagen, which seems to me to be the European city with the best contemporary architecture.

Too bad that highly visible downtown projects (Kensington, Waterside Place, Dainty Dot's replacement, the Suffolk claptrap they want to raze the MDC building on Beacon Hill for) can't reach this level of quality...

Whoever it was that suggested a couple months back that it looks like an ice cream cake (or something to that effect) I can't thank you enough...I see this almost every day and ever time I go by now all I can think is neapolitan sundae. It softens the blow for sure!

i can't believe there is no info on the ceramics building going up at barry's corner. ill try and get a picture.

i can't believe there is no info on the ceramics building going up at barry's corner. ill try and get a picture.
I believe this is Harvard moving its ceramics workshop across Western Ave. into a former Verizon warehouse that Harvard has owned for some years.

This site was to be the location of a new Harvard art museum / art conservation/storage building. Not all Allston residents were keen on having this building. This art-related building was the first Harvard-proposed new building on its Allston property. From all that I read, any art-related building in Allston is off the table.

9353817119_079e07d92f_b.jpg

And the next project just across the street:

9356563578_69a7201597_b.jpg

You can thank The Mount Vernon Company for almost single-handedly transforming Brainard Rd. I'm glad to see their efforts are such a success - hopefully they'll keep doing more of this. If the aB awards had a best developer category, they'd be my choice.

You can thank The Mount Vernon Company for almost single-handedly transforming Brainard Rd. I'm glad to see their efforts are such a success - hopefully they'll keep doing more of this. If the aB awards had a best developer category, they'd be my choice.

Agreed on all counts. And it's nice to see that this latest project is also their most bold, which bodes well for this final building just getting under way.

Also, I just breezed through the PNF for "Icon" and this was the only picture (lots of pages were missing). 50 studios, 58 one bedrooms.

eb8u.jpg

To clarify a bit, the Brainerd Road set of projects was started by a different company and they went under, and Mt Vernon bought it. They deserve credit for seeing it through, for sure. But the "Allston Green District" is mostly hype. The only kind of "Green" that Bruce is interested in comes in paper form. I don't hold it against him, but there was a much bigger opportunity here that's been passed up, and I don't think he deserves any special accolades for just trying to make a buck.

Back