Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Awesome update! This building is a nice addition to the skyline and helps push out the cluster. Hopefully the top is as well done as the rest of it, and nice gleaming new windows for the original brick structures are going to look great.

Also, Id never noticed this before. Anyone ever used this?
IMG_3710.jpg

City Water Taxi is a great way to get across the harbor. $10 to or from Logan (though be advised that you then have to get a shuttle bus to/from the terminals).

It's not really faster than a taxi and about the same as the T depending on where you're going to, but it's a great way to arrive to the city, cutting across the harbor with the financial district as a backdrop.

cool i am going to have to try it out!

Also i love the top of this building now. It adds a good amount of height.

THIS MORNING SCREEN GOING UP!
050-15.jpg
051-13.jpg
052-15.jpg
055-12.jpg
060-6.jpg
057-15.jpg

That crown is the only saving grace of this very atrocious building.

City Water Taxi is a great way to get across the harbor. $10 to or from Logan (though be advised that you then have to get a shuttle bus to/from the terminals).

It's not really faster than a taxi and about the same as the T depending on where you're going to, but it's a great way to arrive to the city, cutting across the harbor with the financial district as a backdrop.

Since its a flat rate I might take it from the cruise terminal to north station one day

IMG_3693.jpg

I feel that with a great city you should be able to pick it our from amongst others just by looking at it.

I have no idea which city this is.

IMG_3693.jpg

I feel that with a great city you should be able to pick it our from amongst others just by looking at it.

Maybe with this pic, sure, people would have no clue as to what city this is. But you could take pics of most cities of unfamiliar areas/buildings or generic looking areas and say the same thing. However, a picture of Swan Boats, or Paul Revere's statue, or Beacon Hill or the Back Bay viewed from the Charles or even a view of the city from the harbor would be identified by many, many people as Boston.

Last edited:

To be fair, you could say that about virtually any arbitrary slice of corporate skyline in any city.

Was the City Water Taxi the boat used in "The Spanish Prisoner"?

Was the City Water Taxi the boat used in "The Spanish Prisoner"?

I'm glad to know I'm not the only fan of that film. I believe the boat was operated by the T.

"Never trust a Japanese tourist"

If you shifted that frame just a little bit, it would include the Rowes Wharf arch with International Place behind it. That's a very distinctive view from the water, which would immediately identify the location as Boston.

But even in this frame, the Federal Reserve Building is iconic.

If you shifted that frame just a little bit, it would include the Rowes Wharf arch with International Place behind it. That's a very distinctive view from the water, which would immediately identify the location as Boston.

The picture was taken only to show this project, I doubt tourists and such would use such an angle.

IMG_3693.jpg

Doesn't Stubbins' Fed Reserve give it away? I like this building, thus far anyway. I admit I've often been seduced by the combination of old and new.

Van why do you call it atrocious?

Van why do you call it atrocious?

I'm saying it doesn't have the balls to be a pure glass box and tries to dampen the effect by adding all these useless elements that do nothing for it.

I'll hold off final judgment until it is done but I have never been a fan of this building no matter the renderings. It reminds me of a poor man's Hearst Tower, of which I am also not a fan.

Great pics! Looking at that "design" I really think we would have been better off with a minimalist glass box with none of the extra "details" like that strange grid or random flag poll thing (in the renderings). The problem is the architects didn't have to balls to do such a thing, not in Boston anyway. The design we are left with is the most watered down snore fest on the Greenway (and that is saying something).

There is no rhyme or reason to the design, it is all thrown together by a no-talent architect because he liked the various elements when they were used more appropriately in other buildings. Nothing on this makes any sense, it looks like it was put together by some douche bag kid who thought each part was cool.

This building is terrible because it doesn't even know how bad it is, it thinks it's actually working, like each element (which would work well if used by itself) actually works together. They don't; if you were to construct this building with the emphasis on only one of the elements (crown, slant, GRID BABY!, spire, etc) then it would actually work and be attractive. But instead you get the exact opposite effect, visual noise that doesn't even try to inspire or challenge and certainly isn't interesting.

If this building was a boring glass box at least it would be honest. The Clarendon, which it seems many people who hate that like Atlantic Wharf, sticks with it's shtick of playing with the grid and pulls it off rather well. The W hotel is a big ugly glass box but it is ONLY a big ugly glass box. Fan Pier may be a one-trick pony but it knows it and pulls off that one-trick simply and effectively. I could go on but I hope you get the idea. Atlantic Wharf is trying to do too many things at the same time and failing at all of them.

This is the neu-metal of modern architecture. This building is the architectural equivalent to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5886Nb_psg

At least I can laugh at that video. I can't laugh at Atlantic Wharf, it's too real.

Last edited:

Maybe with this pic, sure, people would have no clue as to what city this is. But you could take pics of most cities of unfamiliar areas/buildings or generic looking areas and say the same thing. However, a picture of Swan Boats, or Paul Revere's statue, or Beacon Hill or the Back Bay viewed from the Charles or even a view of the city from the harbor would be identified by many, many people as Boston.

very true the skyline from across the charles with the hancock and prudential are unmistakenly boston.

Back