Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

^

IMG_0361.jpg

ooh I love the giant saw blades. Reminds me of Home Depot.

Why does this building (and the BU dorm tower) have to look like an upside down Walther PP, lower frame and thumb rest facing up?

I actually think this tower would look better if half of the slope of the slant was steeper, instead of just having a straight slanting roof.

Why does this building (and the BU dorm tower) have to look like an upside down Walther PP, lower frame and thumb rest facing up?

The shape of the BU dormitory is an obvious nod to it's older sibling, the BU Law tower.

Why are the developers saying this will be completed in 2011? It looks like it could be finished by March 2010.

I really like this project and I dont understand the heat it's been getting here.

The tower itself isnt fantastic, but it's shaping up to be pretty decent. I think it's glass skin and prominent location add a welcome bit of visual richness to the Financial District skyline. The slanted decorative roof screen was a good move too, IMO. It really helps stretch the building's squat proportions, giving it a more vertical orientation.

But the tower itself is only one part of this project. I feel that anything above the 5th floor or so (probably, actually lower) is purely sculpture viewed from a distance, pretty much imperceptible by people walking on the streets below. The way most of the public will experience this building is from the street. In an age when most would bulldoze the entire block, this developer chose to preserve these facades (and one whole building), thus, for the most part, preserving this little slice of precious fabric. For this, I think they deserve to be commended.

Take a close look at the last two photos. A section of the spire (mast?) was delivered and is on the flat bed truck in front of the building.

In an age when most would bulldoze the entire block, this developer chose to preserve these facades (and one whole building), thus, for the most part, preserving this little slice of precious fabric. For this, I think they deserve to be commended.

Agreed. Keeping the old facades is a great nod to the history of the area. While it's easy to find fault in any project and pick apart small details, this one is pretty good overall. I concede that "they could have done much worse" is a weak standard for buildings, but most recent construction can't even live up to that.

Take a close look at the last two photos. A section of the spire (mast?) was delivered and is on the flat bed truck in front of the building.
Is this what ur talking about,had I seen it I would gotten a closer pix!
011-13-1.jpg

That's it. You can also see two circular elements on it. Keeping with a "mast" theme - they're remarkably analogous to a couple o' crow's nests.

I'm looking forward to seeing this hoisted up.

no need to wait
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-68.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-67.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-76.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-83.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-82.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-81.jpg

Last edited:

Apparently, I only take my camera out on overcast days. Here's a few from today.
DSCI0021.jpg

DSCI0022.jpg

DSCI0023.jpg

DSCI0030.jpg

DSCI0031.jpg

DSCI0032.jpg

DSCI0036.jpg

DSCI0035.jpg

Enjoy.

I like the look of the spire attachment. It made me think of several of these of different lengths and widths, in neon, attached to the top sides of the Prudential building, IMO, could be very effective on that particular building.

Back