Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

today another drive around the block
033-7.jpg
035-9.jpg
036-6.jpg
038-9.jpg
039-7.jpg
040-9.jpg
041-10.jpg
042-9.jpg
043-9.jpg
044-10.jpg
045-4.jpg
front/ back?
050-8.jpg
052-8.jpg

I'm afraid this will turn into one of those 'cold' adaptive reuses. Those projects where the old warehouse is preserved, and the brick walls and wooden beams left exposed, but the architects fail to improve upon it. They're usually offices, where cheap materials or design elements are used, and even though they have all the rustic touches, they feel more sterile and bland than a standard, contemporary building would. I don't know if I explained that well enough, but I hope everyone knows what I'm talking about. Anyone else feel this way?

This was coming out amazingly until that spire started being attatched and that crown turned into screen instead of glass. Now it can only get worse from here as it finishes up.

I don't like how far the spire sticks out from the building itself. I think it would be better if it literally stuck to the corner of the tower.

For better or worse, this facadectomy conjures memories of a weighty Ronsonol table lighter at grandpa's house in Miami the 1960's. If only they'd consider piping gas to the spire for a small flame...

From now until Mayor Menino dies, all we can have in this city are stumps. Taking that as a given, I actually like what the architects were able to do with this stump...

The slight angle to the harbor-facing facade is a very nice, slightly unusual touch that helps mitigate its stumpiness.

I'll hold off judgement on the flagpole and crown until it's complete, but I think given the boring, blockish stump that has been decreed for this (and all) sites, the architects creatively worked towards a pretty good solution.

Generally, I'm trying to be more positive on this forum. If financing and political trends dictate that all we can have is a 25-story stump, then I like seeing architects working creatively within that context. Compare it to the Filene's tower or the Fan Pier thing... In that respect, Atlantic Wharf is shaping up to be a pretty nice addition to the city.

But... until it opens, we'll have to wait and see.

Remember, 45 Province was a winner until about a month before it opened and all of a sudden there was a giant black wall and a hat so ridiculous, Aretha Franklin could have worn it to the inauguration.

^

I could be mistaken, but I thought Menino asked for the tallest building in Boston to be built? The "Belkin Tower" which at 70-80 stories is not exactly a stump. I was also under the impression that it was the Mayor and BRA who wanted a re-design of this building because the original design was too boxlike and had funny looking v beams on the base of it? I could be wrong but I thought Logan Airport had a hand in the height of buildings along this corridor.

I'm afraid this will turn into one of those 'cold' adaptive reuses. Those projects where the old warehouse is preserved, and the brick walls and wooden beams left exposed, but the architects fail to improve upon it. They're usually offices, where cheap materials or design elements are used, and even though they have all the rustic touches, they feel more sterile and bland than a standard, contemporary building would. I don't know if I explained that well enough, but I hope everyone knows what I'm talking about. Anyone else feel this way?

Can you give an example of a "hot" adaptive reuse building?

Quincy Market?

In which way will the lobby be different from the heart tower's?

about an hour ago,2nd peice of the spire has been added!
062-8.jpg
063-9.jpg
064-8.jpg
065-9.jpg
066-9.jpg
yesterday from camb.It should of been a few more stories higher!
058-6.jpg
044-11.jpg
045-5.jpg

Last edited:

Parts of Quincy Market are what I'm talking about, but parts of it are 'hot' simply by virtue of the mass of people.

I'm at a loss right now for an example of a 'hot' adaptive reuse, I've never been to see the Hearst Tower so I can't really comment on it. Quincy Market is close, but it doesn't seem like a reuse to me, if one didn't know better, they'd think it was a new construction. I know what KZ is talking about though, and he's right, but I never counted those big, tinted glass things as a part of the Market itself.

Ah, yes! Ames Hotel is a great example of proper adaptive reuse. As is the Liberty Hotel. I'm trying to think of some non-hospitality uses, to no avail.

Last edited:

Back