Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Re: Avalon Exeter (formerly New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center)

9769397733_c5a68258da_b.jpg

9769037112_d5e1017028_b.jpg

9769219776_7a77c2ce03_b.jpg

Not that it's that important, but out of curiosity: how tall is this now that it is topped off? 296 feet? Is it taller than Liberty Mutual?

9707729926_1b998f376c_b.jpg

I think the city has exceeded its quota for this style of window.

I usually dislike the "colossal order" look with double-height windows but here it does no harm, and actually I like how it stands out from Copley.

I agree, not generally a fan of the double height windows, I think it makes buildings look shorter, but here it works well.

The Colossal Order really makes it look much shorter than it actually is. I was stunned a little while back on this thread when everyone was celebrating this as the "tallest newly-constructed tower." It looks so short because of those windows.

I should add that the fact that it looks shorter is a win because it allowed a tower of that height to get built there. Who knows what it would have been chopped down to if they hadn't rendered the windows like that.

Out of curiosity, how feasible would it be to demolish the other Exeter towers?

Those blades up top should be hawt. And notice how there are vent panels in between...the interplay of silver Alucobond (yeah yeah I know) and shadowy grilles should add a good dose of moodiness to this one.

Agreed about the windows- it's impressive how much taller this looks when you view this from the narrow side, or when the windows aren't to visible.

The top of this is going to look pretty classy.

As for demolishing the other towers- they're very well integrated into the space, as I understand. Big parking garages below, which might make them expensive and very inconvenient to demolish. I personally would like and wouldn't be surprised at a reclad at some (perhaps far future) point, however. They could use them.

How expensive would a reclad be? I don't think (or want) them to be demolished (we need the housing) but I agree they are very ugly. How expensive could it be to just replace the exterior with all glass?

How expensive would a reclad be? I don't think (or want) them to be demolished (we need the housing) but I agree they are very ugly. How expensive could it be to just replace the exterior with all glass?

Careful, you may end up with this (3 Columbus Circle):

AAGAAR28-03.jpg

It looks kind of silly.

GAMMA_web.jpg

...except in this case that would be a welcome improvement.

One of my coworkers lives in the Avalon tower immediately behind the Mandarin and the Legal Seafood Prudential Center. He said that the management is trying to get younger tenants to come in, so they are changing the name to AVA at the Prudential Center and updating the building. Not sure if they're doing exclusively interior renovations or also exterior renovations, but at least it's a move in the right direction.

Careful, you may end up with this (3 Columbus Circle):

AAGAAR28-03.jpg

It looks kind of silly.

GAMMA_web.jpg

I appreciate you pointing out an example of where what I am talking about has been done before. In this case like kz1000ps it would be a welcome improvement. Of all the buildings in the city I think these towers along with 225 Franklin could really use an all-glass reclad.

In the case of 3 Columbus Circle and the Edward Stone building next to it, I don't think a reclad was necessary. I actually just learned a couple of weeks ago about the reclad of the Metlife Tower in NYC in the early 60s. I kept wondering why the building looked beautiful in all of the old pictures but was underwhelming upon seeing it in person (and seeing it in recent pictures). Such an architectural crime!

The Columbus Circle examples made my blood boil...the lollipop museum going away was one thing, but then to attack the classic 1920s brick pile behind it was too much. Still pisses me off when I go by it.

NYC development overall is hugely depressing. It's a constant tale of developers targeting great old pre-war buildings, razing them and then either having empty holes for a very long time or building the cheapest pre-fab/concrete or all-glass crap you can imagine. Entire swaths of the Garment District (the most Gotham distillation of New York in one neighborhood) are getting knocked down for cheap hotels. Nearly sickening to observe NY development.

Boston has it much better these days - both in terms of where we develop (i.e., relatively few masonry pre-war buildings get razed) and in terms of what we develop (quality on balance is a LOT higher vs. New York, where the big-money starchitect projects get the ink but 80% of development is crappy cheap-o hotels).

Per kz1000ps, a recladding of the Prudential Center towers (minus the Pru itself) would be a good move in this case - unlike in the NY case.

^have you seen Waterside Place?

Also, the Pru is ugly and needs a major Madonna-like facelift.

Armpits, while I agree with you 100% about the atrociousness of Waterside Place, at least it didn't replace some gorgeous old building that used to be there. It replaced a whole lot of nothing.

I'd argue that the Pru needs a good bath more than anything, but I'd love if they could "restore" the panels somehow- though that might fall under the facelift/reclad you speak of.

Back