Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

That ... is mock-up framing. Get your whips and barbs ready.

cca

cca

Poor quality windows!
Cheap precast panels!
VE run amok!
"Looks like the Kensington!"

Just practicing.

cca

Is it a Boston law that requires it? I never see mock ups anywhere else, and every project here has one

Poor quality windows!
Cheap precast panels!
VE run amok!

Just practicing.

This made me smile!

My new favorite:
"Oy, not another Waterside Place!"

Poor quality windows!
Cheap precast panels!
VE run amok!

Just practicing.

To add to that,
Before it gets built...
*looks like its going to be nice
When some panels start going on...
*oh my god its waterside place...
When its all finished
*that turned out better than I expected...

Is it a Boston law that requires it? I never see mock ups anywhere else, and every project here has one

I see them elsewhere.

The Peabody Essex Museum rather famously did 23(?) different samplers of its last museum addition before deciding on which brick and other materials to use. I recently looked to see if there were any samplers set out for the new addition, which is still in design, but didn't find any.

Any project over 100,000 sf or is in a significant historic location is required to go thought large project review. One requirement is to have a mock-up. So ... yes ... it is required. Also ... its just a really good idea. I would never design a building without one.

cca

To add to that,
Before it gets built...
*looks like its going to be nice
When some panels start going on...
*oh my god its waterside place...
When its all finished
*that turned out better than I expected...

This is the most accurate quote on aB

Sampler just went up. Can someone get a pic? Initial impression is pretty whatever, will have to see what it actually looks like when it's completed.

Filler building. Too bad we get so many fillers, and so few show pieces.

Now now. We mustn't be so negative. I am sure the whole will be much better than the sum of the façade parts. Just like the pig is greater than a single pig cell...oh wait....never mind.

I walked by this the other night, and my impression of the mockup was very positive. It basically takes Jacob Wirth quality glass, and addresses the problem of the "flat" cladding that many people have with that one. So we get the high quality glass and solid cladding with depth, not to mention an extra 100'+ over any of the recent resi's we have gotten in the rest of the city. IMO, this will be the building that finally "puts it all together" and will be the kind of filler residential we should hope to see more often! (MT is a special case, not totally comparable)

I think this was a bit more thorough of a description of AB self-loathing, from Bos77.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?p=174637

You haven't been on here that long... There is a cycle:

1) Post article from Globe, Herald, or BBJ
2) Excitement ensues for 3-10 posts.
3) Rendering released. 10-30 more posts, possibly from only 2-5 members about the architectural apocalypse being upon us.
4) Community meeting time... NIMBYs/BRA suck, this wouldn't happen in NYC, etc.
5) Revised proposal released. Floors cut, value engineering done, and discussion about alucobond.
6) More community meetings and bitching. Something keeps being posted about "lack of vision and the Krafts/seaport". Thread also derails into some ridiculous topic like this thread, independent movie houses now closed, or DTX BIDs.
7) Construction may or may not start. Surprise BRA or Mass Dep/DOT permitting issue.
8) If construction continues, some awesome folks will do their damnedest to document it all with a gallery of pics.
9) For every 1 pic there is a ration of 5-10 posts judging materials like precast and glazing. 50% chance of thread derailing again. And with construction not even at 10% complete people will declare the building to be the end of Boston.
10) Building complete, it turns out 'not as bad' as people thought or 'better than a parking lot'. Thread dies.

The facade looks like a rehash of the first set of the Millennium Towers + Park Lane Seaport.

It's the kind of thing I would've expected to see 15 years ago.

Back