Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

It's the kind of thing I would've expected to see 15 years ago.

Why, because it looks like they actually care and tried to make an effort? (as opposed to Kensington, Waterside Place, Grandmarc, Jacob Wirth's "flat" cladding, etc)

I guess I'm just curious why people are having problems with a mockup that seems to address every complaint this board has had for the past 5 years.

They are still cutting through the roof of the garage exposing the support columns.

What then? Is the garage staying and the tower going over it? How will they support the tower if they keep the garage there? I honestly have no idea what the deal with this one is.

What then? Is the garage staying and the tower going over it? How will they support the tower if they keep the garage there? I honestly have no idea what the deal with this one is.

Full garage is staying. They are going down to the last floor (level 5) and drilling out the support columns closest to Nashua st. They will be reinforcing them with additional steel and concrete.

Is it accurate to assume progress on this will take a lot of time to notice at street level?

Why, because it looks like they actually care and tried to make an effort? (as opposed to Kensington, Waterside Place, Grandmarc, Jacob Wirth's "flat" cladding, etc)

I guess I'm just curious why people are having problems with a mockup that seems to address every complaint this board has had for the past 5 years.

The glass portion looks like a carbon copy of the Ritz Carlton design that wasn't that great when it was first built a long time ago. The precast looks like the same junk we've been complaining about for years.

I don't mind a pleasant surprise that makes me admit I was wrong (the Treehouse, Jacob Wirth's) but seeing the same ingredients that haven't worked in the past doesn't instill optimism.

Is it accurate to assume progress on this will take a lot of time to notice at street level?

I'm guessing that with the garage already in place -- once the reinforcement for the support columns is done and the ground floor is poured -- the tower will be ready to rise

This spring / summer / fall should be a great time for watching

By this time next year there will be 3 very tall residential towers well underway:
  • Millenium -- nearing its top
  • North Station Nashua St.
  • Four Seasons at CSC

and possibly more springing forth including Copley?

There's a mobile crane on site. They'll use the mobile one as much as they possibly can until they have to switch to a permanent one. This helps to streamline costs.

There's a mobile crane on site. They'll use the mobile one as much as they possibly can until they have to switch to a permanent one. This helps to streamline costs.

That explains it. I wasn't right by it, and was instead looking from the Longfellow Bridge and river towards the Galleria. A large permanent crane would have absolutely been visible from some of the angles I had, but a mobile crane is small enough to not be seen unless I'm up close. I am very excited about this one!!! Currently the second most exciting project in the city that is out of the ground!!!

That explains it. I wasn't right by it, and was instead looking from the Longfellow Bridge and river towards the Galleria. A large permanent crane would have absolutely been visible from some of the angles I had, but a mobile crane is small enough to not be seen unless I'm up close. I am very excited about this one!!! Currently the second most exciting project in the city that is out of the ground!!!

Post 556: http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=223665&postcount=556

The steel columns going up are short (about 10' tall) stubs (my words) being fitted to the top of the garage support columns. Yesterday they started to cut through the roof of the garage right along the west wall of the Garden. Much prep work needs to be done before we see a real crane.

The steel!

The steel columns going up are short (about 10' tall) stubs (my words) being fitted to the top of the garage support columns. Yesterday they started to cut through the roof of the garage right along the west wall of the Garden. Much prep work needs to be done before we see a real crane.

From 3 mins ago.

Tower crane will be on site at the end of the month.

Sorry for the shit quality. Paranoid about taking pics of the site next to federal offices.

rp9EjKM.jpg

Edd9crv.jpg

You can see the steel sticking up just past the top of the onramp to 93 North / 1 North, by the Science Museum (and Storrow/Memorial). This is going to be HUGE for the area. Any chance this ends up catching Millennium Tower by the time it tops out? Steel is obviously faster.

You can see the steel sticking up just past the top of the onramp to 93 North / 1 North, by the Science Museum (and Storrow/Memorial). This is going to be HUGE for the area. Any chance this ends up catching Millennium Tower by the time it tops out? Steel is obviously faster.

DHZ -- kind of depends on your definition of "substantial finished"

Steel frame can be very fast in rising -- but finishing each floor is slow as before you can proceed with utilities and interior walls you've got to lay the deck underlayment, add rebar and pour the concrete for the floor -- In addition, for worker safety you have to have a floor of some sort to catch someone falling inward every few floors as you go up.

Poured Concrete structures give you the whole of the structural work including the floor all at once, and you can start putting in utilities as soon as the floor is walkable.

Back