Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Probably using a building maintenance crane like is on the top of Millennium Tower.

Thank you for the compliments on my earlier pictures.

From 3/11

From 3/12

The North Point building in the foreground is so much whiter than this, and so much worse.

^Tufts! Haven't had the chance to bring my big camera up there yet. Great views, great shots!

My reaction to this building is summarized by me shrugging and going "It's finnnnne..." Anyone else? It's mediocre but it's not awful.

It's on the boring side, but its not terrible

The whole thing is boring but that is besides the point. This building occupies on otherwise tough site to build on usefully, and it is built next to a civic institution that should remain the primary focus. There, so far, is nothing wrong with this as designed. Good is enough here.

cca

Not to be a thread derail ... but, my sister comes in to North Station every day and says there seems to be more drunk men / vagrants than there used to be outside the exit near Avalon.

If true, can anyone think of a reason there would be a noticeable uptick?

Not to be a thread derail ... but, my sister comes in to North Station every day and says there seems to be more drunk men / vagrants than there used to be outside the exit near Avalon.

Basketball/Hockey season?

The whole thing is boring but that is besides the point. This building occupies on otherwise tough site to build on usefully, and it is built next to a civic institution that should remain the primary focus. There, so far, is nothing wrong with this as designed. Good is enough here.

cca

Actually it is a legitimate point. This building sits at a major gateway into downtown Boston. Could it have aspired to a more pleasing design? Absolutely.
This is not boring due to the complexity of site build-out, its boring because its Avalon.

Absolutely love this tower. why? can't give a good reason other than it's not close to ugly and it's the next part of the new Boston... Sunken Cent Artery + Ted Williams tunnels + Greenway + New Garden + four 450-500' towers rising above + new North Station + 1 Congress + 3 ~680-780' DXT towers + several 335-450' turd towers + mostly damn good infill.... ok, they whiffed on a 600' crown at the Garden, but, could anyone have dreamed all this up 25 years ago? i can barely imagine what the 10,000 new views on the ground will be like in 4-7 years. Next cycle, Chiofaro's tower solved + probably new City Hall w/ at least 1 skyscraper, + State Service Center, Center Plaza redo's w/ new +600' towers + a new Suffolk Court bldg all in less than 20 years... maybe 2~3 more skyscrapers in Back Bay and a few going +500' in the Fenway. Let's go!!

i must be dreaming.

Last edited:

My anecdotal observation is just as impressionistic as your sibling's, but, I highly doubt there's been any uptick. That troubled crowd has been there for years. Why?

Because Bay Cove runs a methadone clinic across the street at 66 Canal Street.

A vitally important service for deeply troubled individuals facing hardships we can scarcely contemplate. But it still leads to chronic nuisance/quality-of-life issues for the bourgeoisie passersby.

Realistically, this crowd just oscillates between the North Station periphery, as a major transportation depot, and Haymarket Square, as its polar major transportation depot.

Regarding when they've been at Haymarket Square, it has catalyzed this, um... lively and spirited civic debate.

Sorry to perpetuate the thread derail, but again, the notion this problem has somehow recently emerged is deeply misleading, based on my perception and awareness that Bay Cove has been there for years, trying to help these unfortunate souls.

Anecdotal as well, but I've felt an increase in homeless/beggars/drunks/addicts around the Theater District area which is where. It used to be there was just a beggar in front of the 7/11 and the Emerson dunks but now I see guys passed out in doorways or lying on the sidewalk next to buildings much more frequently.

The "increase" I have felt occurred after Long Island was closed so it's quite possible this is just the fallout from that closure.

Oh, I forgot I wanted to come back to this.
Her "perception" is different, that's all; and, anecdotal, as well.
If this is the "normal" and we're at ~full-employment (< 4.2%), what will it be like once we hit the next recession.

Back to condo and apartment talk, please!

Back