Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

From the Globe article this morning: http://bitly.com/1wxLyjk

The $250 million complex, to be completed in 2017, will also include retail space in a new passageway between Nashua and Causeway street.

The project will feature a 2,000-square-foot terrace and a separate indoor lounge on the 35th floor with 360-degree views of the city’s downtown, Boston Harbor, and the Charles River. It will also include a fitness center and Wi-Fi lounge.

The retail-lined passageway through the base of the complex is likely to feature a mix of small shops and cafes, although no leases have been signed. A small public open space will also be constructed near Nashua Street and Lomasney Way, and 220 parking spaces will be contained within the new building.
Studios with 500 square feet will cost about $2,400 a month, while three-bedroom penthouse units will rent for $7,500 and up. Under the city’s affordable housing policy, AvalonBay will build 30 units on site for low- to moderate-income tenants. It will pay an additional $2.6 million into a fund to have additional affordable units built elsewhere in the city.

nashua_street_night_tower.jpg

06_NorthWest%20Passage%20Retail.jpg

25northstation_graphic1.jpg

I thought this thing was going condo?

Also, 2017? Ugh

I like the commercial component, but "internal passage"? You mean a "stab alley"?

I like the commercial component, but "internal passage"? You mean a "stab alley"?

True but with the TD garden development that might be a very successful alley. and the alley might spur development on the parking lots on the other side of the on ramps. that is far too close to downtown and transit to be a sea of parking.

True but with the TD garden development that might be a very successful alley. and the alley might spur development on the parking lots on the other side of the on ramps. that is far too close to downtown and transit to be a sea of parking.

If there are people going through it 24/7, it'll be fine. Otherwise, it'll be a classic lack of eyes on the street. Seriously, it violates one of the most tried and true principles of urban planning.

So is that a parking podium, or are they using the existing garage? The article's phrasing makes me think the former is the case.

^ Yes, a parking podium on floors 3 through 6. Up ramp will next to and on the south side of the elephant ramp.

If there are people going through it 24/7, it'll be fine. Otherwise, it'll be a classic lack of eyes on the street. Seriously, it violates one of the most tried and true principles of urban planning.

Sure, but there's probably going to be a fair number of commuters heading out that door, plus all the Garden events, plus all the residents going to and from their apartments. It doesn't scare me that much.

the 415' doesn't include the top. It looks like it will be closer to 450'.

From what I remember, the passageway that had been there before construction began was also basically an alley. It never seemed unsafe or stabby... It's adjacent to North Station, there are always people moving through.

Someone was stabbed Friday night right around the corner in an alley on Friend Street.

I thought this thing was going condo?

Also, 2017? Ugh

It'll be 2015 in 60 some odd days. So 2 year construction for 400+ ft sounds about right. Although it could he a little quicker since there's no below grade construction.

Does Anyone know if there is any sort of plan or potential for a plan for the 2 triangular lots in front of this?

With this and the new garage proposal and the other garden developments we could have a big new cluster of buildings (more new skyscrapers than anywhere else in the city, especially if you include the government center garage, which really isn't too far away.

Those lots could make interesting additions to the future skyline.

Does Anyone know if there is any sort of plan or potential for a plan for the 2 triangular lots in front of this?

With this and the new garage proposal and the other garden developments we could have a big new cluster of buildings (more new skyscrapers than anywhere else in the city, especially if you include the government center garage, which really isn't too far away.

Those lots could make interesting additions to the future skyline.

One of those lots is going to be the front plaza and driveway for the Avalon building, I think. The other is the Last Tenement, so I don't think that's going anywhere...

One of those lots is going to be the front plaza and driveway for the Avalon building, I think. The other is the Last Tenement, so I don't think that's going anywhere...

That sucks about the plaza, plazas are generally a waste of space (with a few notable exceptions).

I know the story of its continued existence but who owns that? is there any potential of development including that building?

Back