AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

Oh, wow! That looks great. Agreed with van about the verticality/horizontal bands but this is certainly a worthy development/Kenisington blocker for the area.

Yes, it looks like a circa '83 Upper East Side rental tower is in the process of being devoured by a jazzy new random-facade tower. But somehow I kinda like it!

Yes, it looks like a circa '83 Upper East Side rental tower is in the process of being devoured by a jazzy new random-facade tower. But somehow I kinda like it!

Kz -- apparently the architect doesn't realize that in Boston because of the non-Cartesian Street Grid -- you don't really need to create faux accidental intersections of buildings -- weirdly angled juxtapositions of Towers and lower structures are a given in Boston

Wow that core is close to the sidewalk! This has huge potential :)

The good thing Im seeing about this is that street level is a giant glass curtain and after that its just thin bands over a lot of glass, so even if those bands are cheap precast they are thin enough where it wont really matter and it will look good. This is going to be awesome.

Sharp.
This will so shame the Kensington, anyone have a 30 story paper bag it can hide under or maybe Christo can wrap it up.

11934861473_4c9fc5f685_b.jpg

I am looking forward to when in a few years you will have a new glassy tower pressed against the 150 year old (and wonderful) Jacob Wirth building. What a fantastic juxtaposition you cannot get in cities like Houston or Atlanta.

I am looking forward to when in a few years you will have a new glassy tower pressed against the 150 year old (and wonderful) Jacob Wirth building. What a fantastic juxtaposition you cannot get in cities like Houston or Atlanta.

Atlanta actually has a dense downtown area with plenty of old buildings. Once you head into Midtown and beyond, it becomes much more suburban and centered around just 1-2 major streets.

This is the overpass to enter downtown from midtown. The main highway (85) switches across the city here.

Last edited:
Looks like those pictures might have been taken very early in the morning, but I am just guessing.

They were taken the day after Thanksgiving, 2012, so not a ton of people on the streets. Although, like Boston, most of the people who WERE there were concentrated into specific areas, and not necessarily the heart of downtown. Also, I tend to purposefully leave people out of my pictures. This was probably the case down in Atlanta, which I found more intimidating at 1:00 in the afternoon than I find Boston around 11:00-12:00 at night. There were some really scary characters near the overpass in that last picture.

I don't know. This picture of Houston might say otherwise.

dannyy-840241-albums-houston-metropolitan-area-pic69997-downtown-houston-street-level.jpg

Atlanta's downtown area is tiny though. And it's very much a dead zone during non-work hours. There are a couple of cool nightlife spots near Centennial Park, but the scene is about the same as Friend/Canal St on a non-gameday evening.

The real "happenin" area of the city is Buckhead, which is nice, but it's also over 6 miles away from downtown, which is a further distance than DT Boston to Brookline. Stuff like that makes me happy Boston is so small geographically. I really do miss the ability to get everywhere in such short distances.

Very nice picture...however that's not "typical" downtown Houston.

Regardless, he said that it cannot be found, implying that such setting doesn't exist. Apparently it does.

Back