AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

The continuous curtain walls look good. Wish there had been a bit more depth between the windows and precast on the other walls though to make them a bit less flat, a bit more dimensional.

Somehow, until this very last round of pictures, I thought the building was a T, not an L. I like it less now..

Well, it is really supposed to be two rectangular buildings that had an unfortunate and substantial collision into each other.

The main tower massing reminds me of a giant cheese grater. Tray getting that image out of your head.

The best side, in my opinion, is the one presented to the theater district.

This building and the Kensington both appear to be mooning the Common with their bad sides. In contrast, the Archstone building feels like it is designed to be viewed from the Common, since that angle the visibility the ugly wing.

A lot of this is due to the street orientation of the buildings.

The side you see from the Common of the Kensington and the AVA Theatre District is the back side of the building (relative to their street orientation).

The side you see from the Common of the Archstone Boston Common is the front side of the building.

15266304957_b0333fb402_b.jpg

15452519542_51f69c7b97_b.jpg

A lot of this is due to the street orientation of the buildings.

The side you see from the Common of the Kensington and the AVA Theatre District is the back side of the building (relative to their street orientation).

The side you see from the Common of the Archstone Boston Common is the front side of the building.

That's part of the problem. Architects and developers think that a building has a front or back, as if it exists in 2D space. Instead, they should remember that it exists in 3D space and they should instead pay attention to where the party walls are or will be.

Happened to be out by this building today and snapped a picture.

Not bad looking, honestly, though if it was taller it'd really make a nice statement.

this is going to look gorgeous when its all lit up at night.

caught two thing's flying in front of this building

Last edited:

Back