Avenir

No, they really aren't. Right as I go into the tunnel every day on 93, I am amazed at how much bigger this gets at such a rapid rate. Moreso, the views towards the Fleet Center from the South and SouthEast sides get blocked more and more. It's quite impressive.

April 5:

Avenir3.jpg

I was so disappointed when I heard this is going rentals. I thought it would appeal to first-time homebuyers. You can't beat the location, transportation-wise. Yes, it will fill a need for renters, too. Not cheap, though!

Did anyone see the Bruins commercial on NESN where some of the players are dressed in hard hats and hockey sweaters? They were sure to flash the "Dimeo" banner a few times, and it's a corny commercial, but it's cool to see anyway. It must have been filmed in the past week or so because it looks almost like it's in its current state in the ad.

it's like a mr. potatohead building -- stick the outside walls on to your apartment like a potato mustache or nose.

Whether or not this building will turn out nice, only time will tell. It will however go a long way to knitting the fabric of the Bulfinch Triangle back together. Right next to this building are 2 large lots for future development, complete with trees and street lights. It looks like a massive subdivision out in the suburbs. Hopefully when these get filled in the area will feel like a real neighborhood.

2430344970_729cae7a95_b.jpg

2429533523_78a4c773e5_b.jpg

2430347362_d96292f0a0_b.jpg

2429535965_d64fb11181_b.jpg

The building appears massive in that last pic. The massing resembles a cruise ship run aground on Canal St.

This just got topped off last week. If you look closely you can see the white beam in the upper right corner. They also took one of the cranes down on Saturday.

I still wish they had used this parcel for a taller building. Although this building seems like a nice addition, I think it would have been nicer for a high rise, at least like 20 storys. That is a big chunk of space for one building...

Height may be limited by what the tunnel can support, and also by a desire to conform to the existing Bulfinch Triangle building heights.

The entire length of the Central Artery Tunnel can support large/tall buildings.

? Huh? I thought the tunnel can only support 4-story buildings.

The entire length of the Central Artery Tunnel can support large/tall buildings.

I don't believe so. For starters, there is not enough space between the tunnel roof and the surface to support basements and sub-basements of any appreciable depth. Second, the tunnel was not designed with weight-bearing walls and pillars sufficient to support a large building. I believe the only part of the Big Dig designed to support a tall building was the vent structure that was morphed into the Intercontinental hotel, and the cement and steel that went into building that was formidable.

If they can build tall buildings over the Pike, which is just empty space, they can build over the tunnel. Just use the same method.

I think that height is just right for that area. In fact, it amazes me how dominating it is in its contruction state alone.

Seeing how the Avenir building effects the North End parks shows how much closing in the edges of the Greenway will help it be successful.

Back