Avenir

Hmmm...one story schools aren't cool, for sure. That's why, at our school, the freshman are kept on the bottom so they can learn from the upperclassmen how to walk in the hallways.

From www.lesvants.com:

3-26-09_boston_stock_4452-236%20copy.jpg

This is as good a place as any to say, I'm so tired of having to walk down those side entrances to the Garden / North Station. Build something!

You bet. It's been far too long in that condition, and I am sick of having to look at that gaping cavity.

You're talking about the gaping lot next to the Garden, right? Next to the concrete wall/projection screen?

I've always though it would be wicked cool to have a hotel there, that mimicked the facade of the old Garden. I guess it wouldn't need to be a hotel, but it would certainly be appropriate. A few killer bars/restaurants/clubs on the first few floors. Maybe a sweet sports merchandise store. Perhaps a big-name heavy hitter, like ESPN Zone or NBA City?

Right you are!.....but, that hideous GSA/federal building would have to go. That takes my nomination for the worst/ugliest building in Boston, bar none!

Default Re: Avenir
You're talking about the gaping lot next to the Garden, right? Next to the concrete wall/projection screen?

I've always though it would be wicked cool to have a hotel there, that mimicked the facade of the old Garden. I guess it wouldn't need to be a hotel, but it would certainly be appropriate. A few killer bars/restaurants/clubs on the first few floors. Maybe a sweet sports merchandise store. Perhaps a big-name heavy hitter, like ESPN Zone or NBA City?

Cue jokes about demolishing the Garden just to put up a replica.

Anyway, one thing Bulfinch Triangle doesn't need are more sports bar & grill places. But if there are going to be more, it doesn't seem like there's any lacking for entrepreneurship in that category - no need for these "killer" chains.

They should have just left the old garden standing and turned it into a museum. /sarcasm

I never understood why that was torn down, since a hotel next to a major sports arena makes obvious sense.

It was a flophouse quality hotel towards the end. Whatever grandeur it once had was long obliterated by the time the wrecking ball came to deliver judgment.

Much like the original Garden, the hotel should have been gutted to a shell and completely rebuilt on the interior with a certain stylistic homage to the original. The office parkitecture which replaced both buildings is a travesty.

Such a shame that was ever torn down, I never knew it existed. Hopefully it will be more up to date with "modern innovations." CZ, I see your point about the sports establishments, but face it, sports sells-especially in Boston. So what if there's a replica of the Garden? A monument to the original? North Station + the Garden needs a hotel. It would only be better if a developer had the foresight to build a hotel that deviated from the architectural status quo on the Greenway right now. Some faux-historicism would do good. And bring back all sorts of sentimental memories for those who enjoyed the golden age of the Bruins and Celtics.

Between that old hotel and the old North/Union Station, this area used to be beautiful. It's such a shame we lost so many beautiful buildings.

Between that old hotel and the old North/Union Station, this area used to be beautiful. It's such a shame we lost so many beautiful buildings.

In considering that, shouldn't there have been a higher expectation of what's getting built in the Bulfinch Triangle?

Alcobond, precast, brick veneer, glass...done!

I like the T sign (first pic)
I like that the multispace meters have made it to that part of town
I like how big the front is.
I like the roof over the sidewalk on the side (why not the front too?)

That is pretty nice for a landscraper. I wish the T entrance was a bit more pronounced.

I'm kinda worried about the Causeway St. side. Looks like the base has an 80s corporate skyscraper feel.

How many things in this town are called archstone? maybe its only 3 or something but it feels like 50. Lame name anyway.

Back