Berklee Expansion Plans | Back Bay

Yes, buildings, plural, which weren't as tall. Several buildings were torn down and replaced with one massive slab of a building. The scale is completely different.

You guys really do hate Church Park, don't you?

Back to Berklee, anyone know what are they doing to the roof across from Starbucks? The parapet and cornice is gone. They also built a protective wall above one of the bays. Elevator work?

The Church Park building is ugly and out-of-scale, compared to the row of buildings that it replaced. I didn't say anything about gaps.

Tell you one nice feature of Church Park which Boston could use more of -- the pedestrian arcade with reasonable weather protection

Today my wife and I walked from the MFA up Huntigton and then up Mass Ave to Newburry St. during the early phases of Irene's tropical downpours -- there were only about 3 places to shelter from the weather wihout going inside a store and the Church Park arcade was well appreciated by a sigificant number of folks

the wide overhang of Church Park would probably do quite well even with some wind driven rain where as the few awnings we also used for temporary shelter might not even be up in tomorrows gusts

I have to say I almost always agree with your comments, but here I must disagree. I detest the arcade: It's dark and dingy, and it's jarring to the streetwall. Awnings do a much better job, at least visually.

I have to say I almost always agree with your comments, but here I must disagree. I detest the arcade: It's dark and dingy, and it's jarring to the streetwall. Awnings do a much better job, at least visually.

Agree -- as long as there is no wind

BUT even in the absense of Hurricanes, Tropical Stoms, NohEastahs -- Boston is windy

Perversely the plexglass awnings which used to grace some of the buildings opposite to Macy's along Washington St., actually worked quite well to keep one out of the rain -- -- except for their ultimate problems of dirt and lack of shade in the mid summer sun

That skin piece they showed could be very interesting but you don't get a sense of that from the rendering at all. It might actually make the tower dramatic... or lipstick on a pig... too hard to tell. Whatever, it's still a great project and should help clean up this rather grungy section of the city.

Bronze skin? So it will be green in 10 years?

^^^^^^^^^^

They mentioned that it was bronze/stainless steel so probably not! It it were copper clad then definitely yes!

File under: wait & see

Side-note: Is it me, or does Berklee President Roger H. Brown sound exactly like Terry Francona?

File under: wait & see

Side-note: Is it me, or does Berklee President Roger H. Brown sound exactly like Terry Francona?

Would that be the current "well it went ok for the first 2 pitches" Francona or the much more confident and effervescing one of say 2 weeks ago?

Demolition is well under way:
berklee_dorm_demo.jpg

Looks like it had a cornice-ectomy. They're depressingly common around here.

However, it may be some consolation that it looks like the Berklee building next door is getting a rare cornice-plasty. Hopefully.

Sometimes the steeples disappear because nor'easters or hurricanes or winter storms destroy them. Don't know if that's the case here.

Here's a new rendering I haven't seen, from Twitter:
160_Mass_Ave_Twitter_icon.jpg

Sometimes the steeples disappear because nor'easters or hurricanes or winter storms destroy them. Don't know if that's the case here.

Ron quite few churches including the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, New Old South Church, and Kings Chapel never had steeples or spires-- even though they have towers or Campanile

Back