Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Like the grey precast, should be used more often around here. Works well with the brick.

IQxcDhg.jpg

B&T is reporting that NB has filled their old office building and has a letter of intent for office space in the skating rink. The article also discusses some of the nearby developments and general Allston multi-family market.

Some angles on the residential I haven't seen posted:

Draining into plants is pretty cool feature of the Boston Landing parking lot.

IMG_2160 by David Hall, on Flickr

I don't like that they put a fence up between the Stop and Shop and the stairs, you can only enter via the NB parking lot. Maybe that will change when Stop and Shop redevelops. I think part of the goal was to prevent people from parking at Stop and Shop to commute or using the Stop and Shop parking lot as a Kiss and Ride.

Signs are scrolling "Welcome to Boston Landing"; doesn't show up well in pictures.

I don't like that they put a fence up between the Stop and Shop and the stairs, you can only enter via the NB parking lot. Maybe that will change when Stop and Shop redevelops. I think part of the goal was to prevent people from parking at Stop and Shop to commute or using the Stop and Shop parking lot as a Kiss and Ride.

Signs are scrolling "Welcome to Boston Landing"; doesn't show up well in pictures.

More likely is that the S&S folks will want their own entrance and may suggest something that connects the S&S site with the center of the station.

I was biking around the vicinity this weekend and this thing is really visible from a lot of different parts of Brighton. Impressive to see it from the ends of north beacon and Faneuil.

I'm not entirely sure but isn't the hotel supposed to be even taller than the residential? This is really turning into quite the complex.

They appear to be right around the same amount of floors, not sure on the height though. So either way there is still the hotel to add to this, the indoor training facility/track next door to this too, and then the Celtics facility already has steel out of the ground. It really is booming here.

Heres the sports facility.

2.4.2016+Northeast+Perspective+FINAL_B1.jpg

113015bostonlanding003.jpg

G1_Proposed_View+from+Arthur+and+Guest+Street.jpg

The-Residences-at-Boston-Landing-Brighton-Apartments-For-Rent-Brighton-Boston-The-HYM-Investment-Group-NB-Development-Group.jpg

new-balance-development.png

Last edited:
Another thing to notice is there is still an empty space in between the bruins and celtics facilities.

03-BL_Main_WestPike-1.jpg

Heres a massing model...nothing proposed yet though, but still more room to grow at parcel C2.

41577790-boston-landing-render-jpg.jpg

Horrible picture, but you can actually see the new building looking up the Charles from Harvard Bridge. Extends the skyline from this angle at least!

BEir0zl.jpg

With the commuter rail station open, the residential tower topped off and the Celtics facility steel going up, I'm hoping we hear something soon about movement on the hotel construction.

Do I read this right: ribbon cutting was Friday and station officially opens Monday? (are trains already stopping there?)
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/InformationCenter/WeeklyNewsletters/MassDOTNews05192017.aspx
May 19, 2017

Baker-Polito Administration Celebrates Opening of Boston Landing Station ribbon cutting

BostonLanding.jpg

The Baker-Polito Administration, state transit and local elected officials, and New Balance executives celebrated the ribbon-cutting of the new $20-million Boston Landing Commuter Rail Station, privately financed by New Balance, and restoring commuter rail service to the Allston-Brighton community for the first time since the 1960s, effective for riders on Monday, May 22.

The ceremony was attended by Governor Charlie Baker, Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito, Transportation Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack, MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board Members Steven Poftak and Monica Tibbits-Nutt, MBTA Chief Administrator and Acting General Manager Brian Shortsleeve, MBTA Chief Operating Officer Jeff Gonneville, Keolis Commuter Services General Manager and CEO David Scorey, Representative Michael Moran, Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh, New Balance Chairman Jim Davis, and other state and local officials and private partner executives.

"The opening of Boston Landing Station highlights a successful collaboration between the state, city, and New Balance to expand development and transit opportunities for the Allston-Brighton community," said Governor Baker. "Rewarding projects such as this one spur local economic development and community growth as we continue to prioritize investments that make our public transit system more reliable for riders."

The station, located adjacent to the Massachusetts Turnpike on Guest Street, will be the seventeenth on the MBTA Framingham/Worcester Commuter Rail Line, which has undergone additional infrastructure improvements, including restored double-tracking and the replacement of more than 50,000 rail ties, to increase performance reliability and reduce heat-related speed restrictions. The MBTA’s private Commuter Rail operator and partner Keolis Commuter Services helps to identify infrastructure upgrades and implements many of these enhancements throughout the network in close coordination with the MBTA.

"Strong public and private partnerships are working together to improve reliability and transit options for the communities served by this line and the whole system," said Lieutenant Governor Polito. "The addition of Boston Landing Station, along with infrastructure and schedule improvements, will help deliver greater performance for residents and employees of this neighborhood, and all along the Framingham/Worcester Line."

Construction of the $20-million station began in October 2015 and was financed by New Balance, who will continue to pay for all maintenance costs of the station for the first ten years of its service. A successful example of public-private partnerships and transit-oriented development, Boston Landing Station comes as part of the 15-acre, 2.15 million square foot Boston Landing Development site, which will at full build-out include new office, lab, retail, restaurant and open space, a 295-unit mixed-use residential complex, a 175-room hotel and the practice facilities of the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics. Significant improvements to local public roadway and infrastructure are also planned.

"MBTA and MassDOT, with the support of Governor Baker and Lieutenant Governor Polito, are committed to collaborating with external partners such as New Balance in order to provide the public with transit options," said Transportation Secretary and CEO Pollack. "Boston Landing Station is an example of a private-public partnership that will generate jobs, encourage mass transit use, and serve as a catalyst for more economic activity in this neighborhood."

Six morning peak hour inbound trains and six afternoon peak hour outbound trains will stop at Boston Landing Station Monday through Friday and trains running on Saturday and Sunday will make station stops. Trips between Boston Landing and South Station are a Zone 1A fare, $2.25 for a one-way ticket and $84.50 for a monthly pass.

it seems like most of the press releases about this project show the resident tower interchangeably with the hotel tower, then list a 295 unit, 17 story residence tower in addition to a 175 room hotel. But they never show the resident and hotel tower as distinct buildings. Instead, they show the hotel tower with logo about where the resident tower stands or vise-versa in all the renders.

Since we know this is the resident tower, does anyone have any information or renders clearly showing where the hotel will be built?

Last edited:
So I've gotten myself sucked into a relationship with a Boston gal and I've been making a lot of trips up by bus where my introduction back to the city is always by the Pike going by this project, and let me say that after being out of the city for a whopping two and a half years this transformation instantly makes me feel like a stranger in not only Boston itself but the neighborhood I lived in for five years (six if you include Allston). I can't imagine what it's like to have a 17(!!!!) story tower lording over that area now... surely my camera would be have a field day. And a commuter rail station? I would've killed for ANY alternative to 40 minutes on the 57 bus just to get to freaking Kenmore.

Sorry, nothing of note to add other than my own selfish ruminations, but holy cow this project adds quite the emphatic "YOU'VE ENTERED THE NEW BOSTON" anchor to the city's western entrance.

Welcome back. You should see it in person - the entire area is a construction zone, some stuff hasnt even started rising yet.

Back