Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

sorry guys and gals i mispoke; very lately Boston.

i wasn't (at all) trying to say i didn't like it.

i like it. i'm looking forward to the hotel and final look.

and that project next door up next by God.

I like how the protective wrapping has just been taken off and these panels already look dirty.

get a couple noreaster's on 'em.

sorry guys and gals i mispoke; very lately Boston.

That is to say ... very lately EVERYWHERE. This is the type of massing and materials I have seen in LA, SF, and Chicago in the last 4 weeks that I have been to all those places. Its the hegemony of our economy making its affect felt on our built environment. Welcome to living nowhere in particular.

cca

That is to say ... very lately EVERYWHERE. This is the type of massing and materials I have seen in LA, SF, and Chicago in the last 4 weeks that I have been to all those places. Its the hegemony of our economy making its affect felt on our built environment. Welcome to living nowhere in particular.

cca

Yes....but the hegemony of a faceless economy simply replaced the hegemony of kings & queens, then the hegemony of railroad barons and industrialists w/ egos who wanted nice buildings, then the hegemony of insurance and banking companies who wanted nice buildings...

I agree with you, cca, but when/where was there ever a time when great design emerged in a non-hegemonic state?

E.g., when have people with no power/money ever been able to convince society to bear the cost of great design for great design's sake?

Yes....but the hegemony of a faceless economy simply replaced the hegemony of kings & queens, then the hegemony of railroad barons and industrialists w/ egos who wanted nice buildings, then the hegemony of insurance and banking companies who wanted nice buildings...

I agree with you, cca, but when/where was there ever a time when great design emerged in a non-hegemonic state?

E.g., when have people with no power/money ever been able to convince society to bear the cost of great design for great design's sake?

Sound points.

In the times you noted there was at least regionalism. Add technology, mass production of building products and common comfort standards into the mix, and you have a worsening case. Not a new problem, just an expanding one.

Sound points.

In the times you noted there was at least regionalism. Add technology, mass production of building products and common comfort standards into the mix, and you have a worsening case. Not a new problem, just an expanding one.

Nice, cca. Yes, there's a difference between the "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" situation and the very real and modern changes that are presently occurring/expanding.

Although I wonder often on whether in an absolute sense anything really is changing at all, versus that it is.

...Not a new problem, just an expanding one.

Well said. We've never been truly free from hegemony, but, there seem to be trends these days away from existing underlying value systems and social compacts that used to be in place (local, regional, perhaps) and heading in the direction of a mass-produced / cost-optimized soul-less geography-less reality.

An example of a local system of values is that of Innsbruck, Austria...where everyone commits to building a ridiculously bright colored house (we're talking about a trend that has pervaded for 100's+ years, and still pervades) because it is gray and snowy there a lot of the time, and the burst of color from the buildings is literally part of the fabric of their community. No one would dare build a drab colored house here - the value system trumps economics:
1994.jpg

...Although I wonder often on whether in an absolute sense anything really is changing at all, versus that it is.

I think yes & no...
1) some sort of hegemonic system in place: yes, almost always throughout history
2) erosion/abandonment of local value systems: perhaps this is a relatively new effect

I'd like to see color added to the concrete at Harbor Towers, Longfellow, Mass General Campus, etc.

Perhaps getting in bright blue, navy & dark green..... w/ the twin given a coralishy color,

making a considerable improvement .....

i believe it would pay back at least some by raising property values.

I'd like to see color added to the concrete at Harbor Towers, Longfellow, Mass General Campus, etc.

Perhaps getting in bright blue, navy & dark green..... w/ the twin given a coralishy color,

making a considerable improvement.

That was so not the point of above, but OK

Back