Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Sure, but this is public transportation. It serves existing neighborhoods. Same deal with the proposed "West Station". WTF is that?

The station was paid for by the Boston Landing developers -- they get naming rights.

You want neighborhood naming rights; pay for the station with public funds.

RE West Station -- I cannot justify that name. But I also don't see an easy alternative. The obvious landmark of the area, Beacon Yards, will cease to exist when this area is redeveloped (and the station is in use), so that naming won't make sense in 20 years.

The obvious landmark of the area, Beacon Yards, will cease to exist when this area is redeveloped (and the station is in use), so that naming won't make sense in 20 years.

Some would argue that Back Bay ceased to exist when that neighborhood was developed. As in, the bay is pretty much gone.

^Beacon Yards would be a great name if thu actually developed it as a district that had some real mixed use. I'm worried that Harvard is gonna totally blow it and turn it into blocks of mind numbing elkus manfredi designed institutional architecture with the occasional residential tower and scattered pret a manger and other mid grade chain establishments.

Remember Beacon Park was a horse track before it was a railroad yard, so the name has a history of sticking.

^Beacon Yards would be a great name if thu actually developed it as a district that had some real mixed use. I'm worried that Harvard is gonna totally blow it and turn it into blocks of mind numbing elkus manfredi designed institutional architecture with the occasional residential tower and scattered pret a manger and other mid grade chain establishments.

Stop worrying. That is almost entirely likely to be the end result.

Personally I do like Beacon Yards, if the name lives on in the area as the neighborhood name.

I have to think "West Station" is a placeholder.

Some station shots from today. Track 1 was barricaded while crews removed the last of CP-4, but as of last weekend the Allston single-track pinch was officially eliminated. Note that the western lead to Beacon Park has also been severed - CSX has been backing in from CP-3 for several weeks now.

1XyFPQf.jpg

eg2sAWH.jpg

qXkfqqT.jpg

iQt55F9.jpg

That's nasty.

I mean, in reality it's a pretty shitty little entrance and Market Street deserves better, but just seeing a T station along Market Street is fucking great.

Edit - I realized that's Everett Street, which can get away with a dinkier entrance. Anyway, now that they have the station, all they need is a the schedule to bring rapid transit to this part of the city. Easier said than done, yes... but still...

That's nasty.

I mean, in reality it's a pretty shitty little entrance and Market Street deserves better, but just seeing a T station along Market Street is fucking great.

Edit - I realized that's Everett Street, which can get away with a dinkier entrance. Anyway, now that they have the station, all they need is a the schedule to bring rapid transit to this part of the city. Easier said than done, yes... but still...

Did they totally mess up the alignment on the fence and steps or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

The landing appears to align with two panels of the fence, but they haven't demolished both yet.

People are soooo fast to shit on something before its completed and then have to take it back later.

What is the plan to the track layout. Are they going to keep the bypass past this station outside of the platform tracks? Theres a ton of room and a lot of tracks immediately past the station anyone know what the plan is for these? Theres also many places where they could create a turnaround for DMU's. I think all lines should extend out to rt 95, and DMU's were announced that they aren't off the table just yet. I really hope that comes to fruition.

The landing appears to align with two panels of the fence, but they haven't demolished both yet.

Unfortunately Mass DOT only allows 1 section of guard fence to be removed when working on an overpass like this. The alternative is to move the guard fence posts and center the opening on the platform/stair. However rearranging a guard fence, planning new attachment details for posts and rearranging anything on a Mass DOT bridge requires coordination and approval from Mass DOT. This is clearly something the project team, not surprisingly, opted not to deal with during design and construction as the stairs and elevator are both not connected structurally to the bridge what so ever.

Boston Landing will be Zone 1 according to the schedule.

This saves money for those commuting from the suburbs to Boston Landing, but raises the prices for nearby residents headed downtown.

Edited to add: I just realized that means it costs less to travel from Worcester to Boston Landing ($6 for Interzone 8) than from Boston Landing to Yawkey ($6.25 for Zone 1)

Boston Landing will be Zone 1 according to the schedule.

This saves money for those commuting from the suburbs to Boston Landing, but raises the prices for nearby residents headed downtown.

Edited to add: I just realized that means it costs less to travel from Worcester to Boston Landing ($6 for Interzone 8) than from Boston Landing to Yawkey ($6.25 for Zone 1)

It's 1A now. Whether it was a whoopsie or a backtrack.

http://www.universalhub.com/2017/whoopsie-mbta-says-it-goofed-new-brighton-commuter

Back