Boston Marathon Bombings Thread

Re: Open Thread

The first suspect who died did so due to an explosive device strapped to his chest....this is the one we saw lying face down on the ground for that long stretch of time.

Also, there are apparently a number of unexploded pressure cookers along Dexter stretching down to Laurel.

police at house with motion devices. waiting for FBI and bomb squad. possible "safe house"?

My friend's house is the one at right....this is from one of her friends:

boston20130419watertowne.jpg

5 guys in cuffs taken out. reason unknown.

My friend's house is the one at right....this is from one of her friends:

boston20130419watertowne.jpg

They jacked a Mercedes SUV, then got gas and paid with the $ they stole from 7/11. The car had tracking software in it like all new cars so the police tracked it to watertown. The Mazda you see is one they took after being confronted, it has a coexist bumper sticker on it.

Interesting reading the first hand accounts here, what a terrifying night. Hope everyone in this area is staying safe indoors for now.

Entire city and metro area on lockdown. No one is allowed outside right now. Please be safe. ALL MBTA service is suspended. Taxi service is suspended.

Entire city and metro area on lockdown. No one is allowed outside right now. Please be safe. ALL MBTA service is suspended. Taxi service is suspended.

Hubway also shut down.

Literally like some scene out of a warzone or a movie in Watertown.

I'm right across the river from Watertown, what a shitshow. Sirens all night, helicopters everywhere. Other then that its creeply quiet, the pike is making barely any noise, the only people outside are my neighbors and I, on our respective roofs. No cops in my neighborhood (yet?)

What I find most mind boggling at this point is why these guys stuck around. Assuming there was an element of advance planning one has to wonder why they didn't just do the deed and skip off to Logan for a flight out of the country.

Fell asleep for 3 hrs, looks like I didn't miss much. For a change my neighbors are happy to have a heavily armed neighbor.

Lurker can probably tell you more about the Chechen mindset. In my day, the "Soviet nationalities problem" was viewed positively. Well, the genie is truly out of the bottle.

See the following for the mindset of Chechen terrorists and tactical issues: http://www.hsaj.org/?fullarticle=2.3.3

The Head of the Chechen Republic has already made a statement saying that:

These two men are innocent and the media is only trying to ruin the image of Chechnya.

So... I was hopeful this would end quickly, the T would resume service, and we'd all go to work as planned.

Now it looks like the entire metro area could be shut down for the entire day.

Is everyone ok with this?

Why shut down the CR and Amtrak? Are they also roadblocking the Pike, 93, Route 9, and every other major car route in and out? Is the T shut for our safety? So that Djoker can't get back to Cambridge on the 70?

1 Million+ people can't get to work. This is going to be economically devastating. In my opinion - and feel free to weigh in with disagreement - this is the exact opposite of what we should be doing in the face of threat. Quarantine the immediate area, sure, but shut down a top 10 US city on a weekday? Who's really won here?

What I find most mind boggling at this point is why these guys stuck around. Assuming there was an element of advance planning one has to wonder why they didn't just do the deed and skip off to Logan for a flight out of the country.

Probably because they either

1) Didn't think they would show up in any camera or video, and thus won't be caught

2) Believed that because of the amount of people at the marathon, the police would end up arresting the wrong people (which wouldn't be surprising because their first suspect of interest was innocent)

When they saw that the FBI was able to traced the suspects down to those two, they probably had a discussion on what to do and decided to rob some place for money, hijack a car, and get out of state as fast as possible.

Shepard are you serious? They found another fucking bomb today at Comm Ave/Charlesgate. One suspect is still on the loose. No one should be out. The MBTA is shut so they don't blow the fucking system up. Economics are not important right now. This is international terrorism.

So... I was hopeful this would end quickly, the T would resume service, and we'd all go to work as planned.

Why shut down the CR and Amtrak? Are they also roadblocking the Pike, 93, Route 9, and every other major car route in and out? Is the T shut for our safety? So that Djoker can't get back to Cambridge on the 70?

1 Million+ people can't get to work. This is going to be economically devastating. In my opinion - and feel free to weigh in with disagreement - this is the exact opposite of what we should be doing in the face of threat. Quarantine the immediate area, sure, but shut down a top 10 US city on a weekday? Who's really won here?

Quarantine the immediate area? The suspect is rumored to be either in CT or MA, not some small area. Also the two have been throwing bombs when being chased. You want people on the highway when the second suspect is doing that? You're kidding me.

Considering that these guys were engaging in open gun battles and there are reports of them hurling explosives at police, yeah, I disagree. I'm perfectly fine with shutting the city down until this guy is dead or in custody.

What's the alternative, in your mind? "Yeah, so there's a wanted terrorist, armed and extremely dangerous, running around the metro region. We have no idea where he is, but uh... just don't worry about it, okay? Pretend like nothing's happening."

Where you are you guys getting your facts? Just curious - not challenging you. I had thought the Charlesgate incident was just a suspicious package - precautionary. I hadn't heard anything about Connecticut. From what I'm seeing on TV and the internet there is only activity in Watertown where they seem to think he was injured and from where he wouldnt have gone far...

Anyway, things in Watertown appear to be "picking up" so to speak and maybe this is coming to the end... fingers crossed.

Back