Boston Marathon Bombings Thread

Re: Open Thread

So... I was hopeful this would end quickly, the T would resume service, and we'd all go to work as planned.

Now it looks like the entire metro area could be shut down for the entire day.

Is everyone ok with this?

Why shut down the CR and Amtrak? Are they also roadblocking the Pike, 93, Route 9, and every other major car route in and out? Is the T shut for our safety? So that Djoker can't get back to Cambridge on the 70?

1 Million+ people can't get to work. This is going to be economically devastating. In my opinion - and feel free to weigh in with disagreement - this is the exact opposite of what we should be doing in the face of threat. Quarantine the immediate area, sure, but shut down a top 10 US city on a weekday? Who's really won here?

There's going about your business after the fact to prove resilience, and then there's being reckless in the face of an ongoing violent police action across multiples towns with a terrorist at large. The latter is pure stupidity.

I don't really hear many people whining about not being able to go to work today.

So... I was hopeful this would end quickly, the T would resume service, and we'd all go to work as planned.

Now it looks like the entire metro area could be shut down for the entire day.

Is everyone ok with this?

Why shut down the CR and Amtrak? Are they also roadblocking the Pike, 93, Route 9, and every other major car route in and out? Is the T shut for our safety? So that Djoker can't get back to Cambridge on the 70?

1 Million+ people can't get to work. This is going to be economically devastating. In my opinion - and feel free to weigh in with disagreement - this is the exact opposite of what we should be doing in the face of threat. Quarantine the immediate area, sure, but shut down a top 10 US city on a weekday? Who's really won here?

You mean like how snow days cripple our economy beyond repair? Yeah I hear you. ;-)

Where you are you guys getting your facts? Just curious - not challenging you. I had thought the Charlesgate incident was just a suspicious package - precautionary. I hadn't heard anything about Connecticut. From what I'm seeing on TV and the internet there is only activity in Watertown where they seem to think he was injured and from where he wouldnt have gone far...

Anyway, things in Watertown appear to be "picking up" so to speak and maybe this is coming to the end... fingers crossed.
Channel 7 earlier posted up a license plate and stated that he may be in CT. Only recently have they placed the suspect back to Watertown.

Taxi service has been restored.

Considering that these guys were engaging in open gun battles and there are reports of them hurling explosives at police, yeah, I disagree. I'm perfectly fine with shutting the city down until this guy is dead or in custody.

What's the alternative, in your mind? "Yeah, so there's a wanted terrorist, armed and extremely dangerous, running around the metro region. We have no idea where he is, but uh... just don't worry about it, okay? Pretend like nothing's happening."

Well, you all seem to agree with my wife, so once again I'm proven wrong :-/

I still haven't really changed my mind - this isn't the first time an armed suspect has been on the loose, and I'm very cognizant of the message we send by shutting down a city - but whatever the case I am hoping for a very quick resolution to all this craziness.

I still haven't really changed my mind - this isn't the first time an armed suspect has been on the loose, and I'm very cognizant of the message we send by shutting down a city - but whatever the case I am hoping for a very quick resolution to all this craziness.

Well the thing is, many major companies allow workers to work at home. Most likely, business is being conducted at home than at the work place.

What would you say if they had kept the MBTA open and a bomb exploded at Park St or DTX? "Oops?"

The backlash from the public if another attack happened would be infinitely more severe than the backlash from today where people just got a day off of work and are relatively safe indoors.

I'm just SO glad the FBI waited to release their photos until AFTER the Presidential couple had left otherwise all this would have went down YESTERDAY. We were all rather upset about the cancelled 5PM and 8PM press conferences the other day, but it was for a very important cause.

Last edited:

The whole MIT situation is the big question still. How does the MIT shooting fit into this all? Why was the officer shot?

Let's hope that if there was a purposeful delay it wasn't to facilitate a political photo-op.

Suspect was not in vehicle surrounded in Watertown.

They need to leave the uncle alone. Poor guy.

That's shocking. Barstool is still around? Wow.

Suspect was not in vehicle surrounded in Watertown.

They need to leave the uncle alone. Poor guy.

He was very well-spoken and chose to go out to talk to the media. He probably decided that he's better off making it absolutely clear how he feels about all this in his own words, rather than allowing the media to speculate endlessly about what he knew or didn't know.

He was very well-spoken and chose to go out to talk to the media. He probably decided that he's better off making it absolutely clear how he feels about all this in his own words, rather than allowing the media to speculate endlessly about what he knew or didn't know.

He was very well-spoken. Nearly brought tears to my eyes.

I can’t wait to hear about this 70 year old Russian who may have a suicide vest on in Watertown with a dead mans switch. They have 4 robots working him now.

(Turned out to be groundless)

Last edited:

^ The media seems oblivious, where is this coming from?

scanner

generally accurate, but cops get excited too

All outbound Amtrak regional and Acela trains are sold out....that only happens the day before thanksgiving....people seem to be fleeing Boston....except the trains aren't moving and now the New Haven Line is shut down.

FWIW I had heard that the trains were shut because another suspect was rumored to be on one heading south.

Back