Broad Institute Expansion | 75 Ames Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Re: Cambridge Developments

MOD: How about having the first post with renders of each project? I have no idea what 74 ames is.

Splitting this was probably a pain in this ass, but thanks!

Re: 75 Ames St. (Broad Institute Expansion) Kendall Sq.

mdd,

From your vantage point can you tell if there is a preexisting foundation for the new building?

I noticed that dirt is already being removed and I haven't seen sheet piles driven. I'm wondering if they tackled the foundation when the garage and 7CC were built.

Racking my brain here, but I worked on 7CC 8 years ago. I know we left stubs for future build out, but don't think I can recall foundations being provided. But, then again I don't do structural and was further down the ladder in those days.

Yesterday:

6858075941_83c4a7e15a_b.jpg

75 Ames site was very busy yesterday. A backhoe was digging out along the basement level of the parking garage. They were also unloading large steel beams that were being put in place for what looked like the foundation of a crane.

7185343846_5846f1d7aa_b.jpg

Site excavation looks to be complete.

Today:

7546696932_4c381fa70d_b.jpg

7546693772_e330e8e393_b.jpg

Ames St. Steel going up.

ZzxZf.jpg

Amazing picture man! Thanks! =)

mdd,

From your vantage point can you tell if there is a preexisting foundation for the new building?

I noticed that dirt is already being removed and I haven't seen sheet piles driven. I'm wondering if they tackled the foundation when the garage and 7CC were built.

It has probably been answered by now; The foundation is completely new.

From yesterday:

Steel worker was injured on Saturday by a falling beam. Apparently not severely.

From yesterday:

It looks as if some of those columns are prefabed -- and brought to the site as ready to erect multiple story units

So we've gone in just a few decades through a huge transformation in building structural technology:
1) individual steel girders connected together with rivets circa the Pru
2) individual steel girders connected together with bolts and welding on site -- circa the Hancock
3) prefabed 1 & 2 story columns with weldments, etc. -- circa I.P.
4) Now 2 and now more story columns ready for the beams and joist girders to slide-together and be tied-in

Next step is to move to fully factory fabbed floor-plate segmants -- just drop-in and tie-down to the overall structural framework -- only limits are how big are the dimensions of waht you can truck to the construction site

Good point and good post!

Next step is to move to fully factory fabbed floor-plate segmants -- just drop-in and tie-down to the overall structural framework -- only limits are how big are the dimensions of waht you can truck to the construction site

They put up a prototype 11-story tower in 30 days using this kind of modular construction in China. The MEP is right in the module and everything just snaps together. They've now got to the point of doing a 30-story hotel in 15 days. The problem is that it produces really generic designs.

They probably could have used that kind of construction for the Watermark II.

They put up a prototype 11-story tower in 30 days using this kind of modular construction in China. The MEP is right in the module and everything just snaps together. They've now got to the point of doing a 30-story hotel in 15 days. The problem is that it produces really generic designs.

They probably could have used that kind of construction for the Watermark II.

Data -- that's the first gen of the new building tech -- MIT has a program underway to transform the way buildings are done -- in the same way that the assembly line tranformed the manufacture of things

New merger of materials with embedded sensors and activators, 3-D computer graphics integrated with robotic materials handling, etc.

The limits are really how big a unit can be fabbed and transported to the site where the raw structural framework is being erected -- rivers and ocean coastlines might have another big advantage over the middle of nowhwre inland

There are even some suggestions of moving the units by air using a big helicopter or helicopters and blimps -- then the constraint is weight not dimensions

Back