Broad Institute Expansion | 75 Ames Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Re: 75 Ames St. (Broad Institute Expansion) Kendall Sq.

RpMQp.jpg

ldcqZ.jpg

YVLrv.gif

If you an into steel, heavy steel, this one will give you the shivers.

cca

Earlier this week

When you consider the height, mass, and location, I think this building is going to have the biggest impact of any currently U/C in the Boston area.

^ Your comments made me go back and re-browse the first page of this thread because I was under the assumption it would be another Kendall lump and had no idea it would stretch right up to the 250-foot height limit. But now I know and I say not bad!

Walked by the site today and saw this. My question, where is Red?

Si23X.gif

Excellent reference, mdd!

A major stage has been reached. The steel is going up on the parking garage portion of the project. Not a good shot, but you can see the steel on the right over about a half of the garage.

75 Ames 9:27
This may help explain what I'm trying to say. I took this shot from the top floor of the North Parking Garage.
The steel covers more than half of the parking garage. I think it goes up another 10+ stories from here.

75 Ames 9/27

I think this is it. Let's get some more closer shots of this one please!

IMG_1715.jpg

I've got a bunch of pictures from yesterday. I'll upload them this evening.

The building is huge and will have a great impact on the area.

The two buildings and garage will all be connected via the 2nd level garden over the loading docks. The garden predates the construction

The garage and building interface.

This defies physics.

oO8PC.jpg

aJeaA.jpg

Last edited:

Looks to me like there are 13 levels in the rendering, and 9 constructed thus far. I'd say 4 floors plus mechanical penthouse. Those last couple stories appear to be tall too.

^^ agree with you, but the Special Permit Application states retail ground floor, 11 floors of office and research and the mechanical penthouse. (13 total?) Looks like the rendering is over ambitious.

The rendering is correct. That's all I can say. There are 2 mech levels above level 12, the vivarium.

http://www.suffolkconstruction.com/projects/sciencetechnology/broadinstitute75amesstreet.html

- 375,000 square-foot, 15-story research and development facility will be located in the heart of Kendall Square

- 75 Ames Street expansion project will adjoin the Broad Institute’s 7 Cambridge Center site to create a contiguous research space for developing advancements in science and technology

- Facility will house state-of-the-art laboratory and ancillary space, expanding the existing research space to more than 500,000 square feet

- 4,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor, an animal facility build-out on the twelfth floor, three mechanical floors and an open mechanical area on the roof are also part of the project scope

The facade on the Suffolk Construction site is a whole lot more interesting than the other rendering.

A third mech floor is between level 11 and 12.

That's what makes it 15 floors. This building is/will be incredibly tall.

Excerpts from the special permit...Huge is an understatement.

8117481938_ae954ed608_b.jpg

8117481716_0f1531901e_b.jpg

LOL. "Incredibly tall". "Huge". It's 15 stories! (I know, all is relative, but still.)

Back