Broad Institute Expansion | 75 Ames Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Re: 75 Ames St. (Broad Institute Expansion) Kendall Sq.

I have a ton of pics of this but am having trouble with my new photobucket setup so here are part of them. The rest (impact from further out) are pending.

IMG_3049_zps37b814bf.jpg

IMG_3051_zps974fb1b7.jpg

IMG_3052_zpsef5ba32f.jpg

IMG_3054_zps3a05dfa8.jpg

IMG_3057_zps46dc622b.jpg

IMG_3061_zps0a9fe607.jpg

IMG_3062_zps7d45e2fd.jpg

IMG_3066_zpsa98033d1.jpg

IMG_3068_zps03a51576.jpg

IMG_3069_zpsef98e93a.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

I spy a topping off.

lyNEP.jpg

I spy a topping off.

lyNEP.jpg

I think they've still got two more mechanical floors to finish - they're halfway through 14 - and then a 12-foot penthouse thingy. (I believe that is the technical term.)

It's now at final height.

Trying out the iphone panoramic feature.

uEbLO.jpg

Rats. I've been watching everyday from the Boston side of the river, where I work, thinking it had another fifty feet to go.

But it is still quite visible on the skyline from many vantage points. I see it riding down Cambridge St from Allston to Cambridge, crossing the Mass Ave bridge, and quite nicely from the 6th floor of my school on Newbury St. But it is quite wide, so another 50 feet would probably would have helped its proportions, but it definitely changes the feel of the surrounding area in a big way.

From the Esplanade, yesterday. Yes, it's quite visible. I agree with the extra 50' sentiment. It needs it to balance out its girth.

With the MIT dome (featuring their latest hack)
img_0705_2.jpg

I worry the cladding will blend too much with the Marriott.
img_0716_2.jpg

img_0725_2.jpg

So that's 250 feet, huh?

If you go to the last picture that downburst posted and make it full size you can clearly make out 2 steel beams rising above the rest of the structure. So, I guess it still has a little bit to go?

If you go to the last picture that downburst posted and make it full size you can clearly make out 2 steel beams rising above the rest of the structure. So, I guess it still has a little bit to go?

This building is topped off. Those 2 columns are likely for the stair penthouse that gives access to the roof.

3sjQ2.jpg

My father, who works for the glass contractor, says they've been assembling all the windows and curtain wall in their factory for the past several weeks and that it should be heading to the site this week or next. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I can live with a generation of Boston buildings covered in this 45 Province material (terra cotta was it?)

I can live with a generation of Boston buildings covered in this 45 Province material (terra cotta was it?)

Yes, terra cotta.

It has its uses, for sure. But it can definitely be used inapropriately. Luckily, I think we've been spared from any improper overuses of terra cotta thus far.

IMG_0356_zps5be8b143.jpg

One from Friday.

I'd love to see this area get some real height. 400ft plus. I mean, who really could complain? I think the parking lot near one broadway and the watermark towers could fit a nice big residential tower. with labs or whatever on the front and first few floors to maximize the use. Great views, great access. no nimbys. Then Alexandria could put a small grocer (Trader Joes-esque) in one of its other buildings in the area. Seems like an easy win for cambridge.

Having labs on the lower levels with residences above could be pretty tricky. You need to ventilate all those hoods through the roof and away from any operable windows or fresh air intakes. I'm sure it could be done, but the lack of operable windos would be a negative to buyers. Also, even if the air intakes for the residential units is far away, there will be doubters about the safety, regardless.

I suppose you could HEPA filter everything, but that would be very costly. You could make the residential building fatter and allow room for HVAC shafts to the high roof, but again cost is added from both the ductwork and the additional square footage.

But some true residential high rises would be very welcome. Particularly when I saw the rent on the Watermark units.... HOLY MOLY!!

Back