Broad Institute Expansion | 75 Ames Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Re: 75 Ames St. (Broad Institute Expansion) Kendall Sq.

01-31-13 Curtain wall going up.

9v5VF6t.jpg

This will create a much better street wall (even something of a canyon effect) and the different materials will do an OK job of breaking up the bulk, at least on this side. But it's going to be a real fatty overall. Do they make 200' girdles?

This is not fat. Not skinny, but not fat. Liberty Mutual is fat.

Chubby?

The specs show the footprint to be pretty much of a square. And it's a bit top heavy. The top 2-3 floors (roof mechanical levels?) are rather awkwardly arranged. The buildout is a bit different from the rendering and hopefully is more refined. A different architect (Elkus Manfredi did this) could perhaps have made the same square footage appear slimmer. As is it's girthy. What magic could a firm like Morphosis have performed here?

The specs show the footprint to be pretty much of a square. And it's a bit top heavy. The top 2-3 floors (roof mechanical levels?) are rather awkwardly arranged. The buildout is a bit different from the rendering and hopefully is more refined. A different architect (Elkus Manfredi did this) could perhaps have made the same square footage appear slimmer. As is it's girthy. What magic could a firm like Morphosis have performed here?

This is identical to the renderings. I worked on this project.

No insult intended just my opinion. The differences I'm referring to are slight: the 3 story square of windows in the front side terra cotta section starts further to the left than in the rendering and the 2 story white column sections on the right front section don't seem to quite match either. The roof? What I hoped was happening was the loss of the top level of mechanicals. Less would definitely have been more here. All those levels made of the same material and the same color create quite a monolith. And the curves don't really do much to cut down on the bulk.

No insult intended just my opinion. The differences I'm referring to are slight: the 3 story square of windows in the front side terra cotta section starts further to the left than in the rendering and the 2 story white column sections on the right front section don't seem to quite match either. The roof? What I hoped was happening was the loss of the top level of mechanicals. Less would definitely have been more here. All those levels made of the same material and the same color create quite a monolith. And the curves don't really do much to cut down on the bulk.

The M levels have so much mechanical equipment it's not even funny. Honestly, there wasn't even enough room for stuff that needed to fit. There's actually 3 floors of mech, one below the vivarium (which is on level 12) and then the two more on top.

I like this building quite a bit, but it is fat. I have the chance to see this thing from all over Cambridge and Boston and, unlike Liberty Mutual, which has some slim angles, this one is really substantial in all dimensions. On the other hand, while I dislike the overall horizontal mass on Liberty, the dimensions and proportions on 75 Ames don't particularly bother me. I think it fits rather well with the general shapes of a lot of its neighbors and it gives the sense that they're all similar types of buildings. I think the Ames elevation is going to look pretty good and that the areas surrounding Kendall and Central would benefit from a couple more buildings of this scale.

Are the windows offset or are they nearly flush a'la my favorite building over in Chinatown?

Don't forget that it also covers up the CC West Garage. The floor plates are only half of the actual dimensions up to about level 7.

Dave, IIRC, the Revit models showed some window depth.

The M levels have so much mechanical equipment it's not even funny. Honestly, there wasn't even enough room for stuff that needed to fit. There's actually 3 floors of mech, one below the vivarium (which is on level 12) and then the two more on top.

I don't think (some not all) people truly understand sometimes how much mechanical space is required and the equipment that is needed for a laboratory building. The pure number of air handlers required for the systems and the size of them to provide 100% outside air, the redundancy, the space required for all the specialty systems, the sheer amount of shaft space to allow for all the mechanical systems to serve the floors, etc.

There is nothing quite like working with architects who have worked on a number of labs, so you don't have to hammer this point over and over again. It's always more space than you think, and definitely more than wants to be provided.

Add in the ground floor retail that everyone (myself included) wants, and you are adding more shaft space, particularly if you're going to have any kind of food service down there.

Glad that didn't fall on deaf ears. Thanks Seamus. The shafts in this building are indeed enormous and when you take into consideration that the shaft is the same size in the lower half (that has half the square footage as the upper), you realize how much lab space is actually compromised on those floors.

Last edited:

I've always thought about it as not being compromised, but as part and parcel in building this type of facility. The floor space for people may be smallish but those systems are mission critical.

And while we love ground floor retail it's a killer to these lab buildings. Flammable storage limits in buildings decrease the higher you go per code. The ground floor has the highest limits. Chemistry research is dependent on flammable solvent use and is at a loss when you can't use most of the ground floor (because of retail, loading docks and building infrastructure).

IIRC, there is ground floor retail. I think there were talks of a restaurant. The lobby itself is very tiny, pushed all the way over to the far right.

Last edited:

Back