Broad Institute Expansion | 75 Ames Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Re: 75 Ames St. (Broad Institute Expansion) Kendall Sq.

From today:

Renders showed those 2 large window sections as being Apple store transparent and none of the windows had the white panels. This looks a lot more heavy handed.

That would look pretty awful with the structural steel, concrete slabs, and MEP services running through.

It would take an atrium in those locations (or at least some large floor openings) to make that happen, and I'm sure the floor space is too valuable for that.

CQq1JYa.jpg

9g5NdOd.jpg

8jwdyOi.jpg

That would look pretty awful with the structural steel, concrete slabs, and MEP services running through.

It would take an atrium in those locations (or at least some large floor openings) to make that happen, and I'm sure the floor space is too valuable for that.

Panels could have been grey instead of white, or some color less contrasty. End result is a red brick, white lintel effect.

I do agree the white is a bit jarring, and the offset with the rest of the trim is strange to these eyes.

They look even worse from a close up.
However, I must say, they have a distinctively medical\biolab feel to them...

They do look pretty bad in person. Is there any chance the white is just a protective film on a less offensive color?

8551823447_9f0c3ee474_b.jpg

8551814065_45f446d784_b.jpg

Looks way fatter than expected from the Charles. Pity. Otherwise I like it.

They do look pretty bad in person. Is there any chance the white is just a protective film on a less offensive color?

Probably stay and then get worse when the meco shades go in and create a black layer below the white. The white matches the adjacent white panels that are blocking the slab/ceiling space, which I would doubt would be peeled off to reveal a tint looking into a ceiling cavity.

8556996563_7dd32bcb4b_b.jpg

8558101896_1de01a1634_b.jpg

Nine tenths as bad as the Kensington but ten times as visible.

Seriously I see this thing all day from the Pru. It hogs and clogs a very substantial swath of skyline.

Now I'm not one to care too much about skyline... But something this noticeable should make an effort at least.

But something this noticeable should make an effort at least.

The footprint isn't ideal, but that's because it's a lab building. As for the cladding, terra cotta is not cheap is it? (I'm asking sincerely, I don't know).

From Top of the Hub:

2013-03-24_16-03-26_512_zpsaa65d186.jpg

Forgot to get a zoomed in shot on this one, but this shot shows that it makes relatively little impact on the Cambridge skyline.

From Top of the Hub:

2013-03-24_16-03-26_512_zpsaa65d186.jpg

Forgot to get a zoomed in shot on this one, but this shot shows that it makes relatively little impact on the Cambridge skyline.

Maybe from this angle at 700 feet up it makes little impact, but it appears to be the biggest building from most vantage points in Cambridge and Somerville. Coming down Beacon/Hampshire it dominates the skyline.

Pretty uncommon for the Cambridge skyline to be viewed from that angle, though I think once the building is finished it won't stand out nearly as much without the crane.

View from all the way down Beacon St in Somerville;

From last Feb's blizzard;

8699819778_d7d69a734c_b.jpg

Back