Broad Institute Expansion | 75 Ames Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Re: 75 Ames St. (Broad Institute Expansion) Kendall Sq.

The plans show retail taking up the left two thirds of the street frontage with the rest going to the lobby, fire command center and parking garage lobby. It looks like Seven Cambridge Center will remain the the 'true' lobby/social space for both buildings.

The plans show retail taking up the left two thirds of the street frontage with the rest going to the lobby, fire command center and parking garage lobby. It looks like Seven Cambridge Center will remain the the 'true' lobby/social space for both buildings.

Yeah, my bad. I meant the lobby was to the right. The restaurant is the left 2/3. Rotating the model all day leaves you with a million different views engrained in your head of the same plans haha.

Regarding socializing: There's a cool connector bridge on the lower half to 7CC that connects each level and then at the top of the connector, there's a grand staircase/seating/amphitheater with a projector in 75 Ames. It's pretty curvy and cool.

It's nice having more restaurants / cafes in the neighborhood, but what the area desperately needs is a CVS or a Walgreen's. This would be a perfect location to put one.

Aye. And, a restaurant with a non-made up word for a name and even a couple recognizable beer names to complement all the micro-brew high brow stuff (even though it's good, it's damn expensive and every now and then I just want a Miller Lite) would be welcome.....

I continue to fail to understand why the big drugstore chains massively oversaturate some places (Downtown Crossing, Coolidge Corner) and leave others like this entirely unserved.

My only guess is that MIT has been keeping them out so they can make money on their own stores with overpriced supplies for the students.

Baseless I know, but now that I work here, I want nothing more than a CVS for pencils, and a convenience store for chips and soda (which I could get at CVS if we had one.)

there is a 7-Eleven on Main Street, at least.

That 7-11 is pretty out of the way from the heart of Kendall. I would almost argue that it isn't really in Kendall Sq. It's not much of a convenience at all.

Being new to the area, I'm still trying to figure out the extent of Kendall... It's the biggest "square" I've ever been in. One Kendall is pretty far from "The Kendall" or the "Kendall Building".

Kendall Square is more of the neighborhood now than it is the actual square.

^ Yeah. Most of metro-Boston takes the local center square names as de facto neighborhood names.

I just have a hard time with One Kendall being so far from the actual square and T stop with the name.

Cambridge Center would be a much more fitting location for this address.

Cambridge Center happens to be at the very HEART of Kendall Square. (if you consider the T stop the heart of Kendall)

Last edited:

Here's a couple from this morning.
IMG_0405_zpsa93766a0.jpg

IMG_0406_zps1d64982e.jpg

I hope the top of this building "looks nice", because walking around, you can see it from everywhere.

DSC_2519 by geep9, on Flickr

I hope the top of this building "looks nice", because walking around, you can see it from everywhere.

Wouldn't count on it. Top heavy and awkward is more like it.

023_zpsfb3b19c2.jpg
today from Cambridge

I was really surprised how prominent this building is on the skyline as you come down Beacon St/Hampshire St into Inman Square. It feels like you're right next to it when it's still quite far away! (I don't think this is bad or good. I just wasn't expecting it.)

The only real true innovation district. Its amazing watching Cambridge evolve from the 70's. Truly Amazing transformation.

I wonder who has more value Boston or Cambridge?

Back