BU Development Thread

I really like the horizontal protruding glass window - it ties in nicely with the student union stair-stepped roofline. Additionally, I appreciate the limestone façade treatment, a nod to the Neo-gothic CAS / Theology buildings.

This is the direction that BU needs to continue on with all future development. This is what works well on this campus; none of that lazy red brick / pre-cast of the Silber years.

Thanks for the update, Beeline. Loving the scale and massing on this addition -- BU is finally getting it right!

Decided to bump this thread with some new pics of the essentially completed Redstone Building at BU School of Law!

tH03uLq.jpg

Walk behind STH and towards the GSU:

aUJ1wqQ.jpg

Side note: really liking my new phone's camera!

Really great pictures. They really capture the ambient light beautifully.

What phone is it?

Really great pictures. They really capture the ambient light beautifully.

What phone is it?

It's an LG G3! I'm pretty sure that the HDR function was on - it's useful in these types of situations where you have lots of light sources I suppose.

Dang...those were taken with a phone?! Guess it's time to throw in the towel.

By the way, while this topic is on top: a public meeting has been scheduled about the upcoming Life Sciences building, 6PM on August 6th at 233 Bay State Road. That will be followed by a public meeting of the BU Task Force.

It's great that they're finally putting this stuff together. The only thing I fear is that they are continuing the process of institutionalizing the corridor, and that BU has an active intent of squeezing out any and all diversity between Babcock Street and Kenmore Square. A real shame for a supposed "urban campus."

Looks good, although its probably as windy and cold as ever.

What happened to the underground law library that was entered through a door on the side where the building now is? Did it get a real entrance or was it eliminated?

What happened to the underground law library that was entered through a door on the side where the building now is? Did it get a real entrance or was it eliminated?

It looks like the door is still there and they left an outdoor passage for it. There's a slight gap at ground level between the new building and Mugar (where the 80's-vintage entrance was recently sealed up) that you would use to access it. See it here in the photo posted by BeeLine last month:

14191483468_a884281605_c.jpg

Haven't been down there to see for myself, but that looks to be how it was accessed this time last year, per this photo (also from BeeLine) a couple pages up in the thread.

9403813509_de15e1e37e_c.jpg

^^
I can't help but notice that they misspelled "Access" on the sign there...

Nice, but now Mugar looks crappy.
True, but I think it is going to look great--or at least a great "if you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you'll really like"
This is part of a whole rehab of the complex. They say:
The 18-story Law Tower[...]

The proposed design will faithfully rehabilitate most of Sert’s original tower while taking deliberate measures within the original architect’s design vocabulary to make the existing buildings more acceptable to [21st century needs]. All windows will be replaced with thermally insulated units reflecting the pattern and profile of the original building. The exterior concrete panels that define the building’s architectural aesthetic will be totally refurbished. The tower will be revamped with new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, larger bathrooms, and modern facilities [...]

The spalled cast-in-place concrete of the existing building will be repaired where needed and care will be taken to match existing color and texture as much as possible. Precast fins and other precast elements on the exterior will be repaired or replaced as necessary. All exterior concrete will be cleaned. Some of the full-story precast panels will be replaced with glass in a manner consistent with the original compositional intent of the building façade.
and the schedule:
Fall 2013 – Construction of new building façade begins
Spring 2014 – Construction of new building interiors & finishes ongoing
Summer 2014 – New building opens, moves occur. Tower renovation begins.
Fall 2014 – Tower interior demolition and exterior windows installation begins. Façade restoration work continues.
Spring 2015 – Tower renovations continue
Fall 2015 – Renovated tower opens, Pappas work continues
Winter 2015 – Pappas interior work complete

Back