BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

^^Tha is actually pretty good Communist architecture, definately won't look out of place in Europe like the normal commieblocks do.

Barbaric, that's true, but I'm not comforted by the fact that the most prominent new building on Boston's skyline is comparable to the best that East Germany had to offer (it was built for members of the ruling class and was right up against the wall to serve as a propaganda instrument in the face of westerners). Imagine saying that with reference to US athletes...

Patriots, you've probably seen it in any movie shot around the Brandenburg Gate...because the city missed the chance to bury it in better urbanism and instead turned its front yard into a Holocaust memorial, it will be prominent for many years to come.

This is a pretty good building for the edge of the skyline, if it was in a more prominent location/higher, then I would have qualms with the design but since the design is better than the majority of Boston’s skyscrapers, really, there’s not much to complain about. It’s just a college dorm that they aren’t going to splurge on the fa?ade for, not a masterpiece for the entire city. The pre-cast on this could be better, but for the budget they had, it’s inoffensive and looks pretty good from almost all angles. I’d say good job BU, they have their own skyline now, extending the Back Bay skyscraper zone. Of course, there’s much to improve compared to Dubai, but if you ask the levels of city government, I’d bet less than 5% have heard of it, and most would have a negative opinion. We don’t have huge pools of money just laying there to spend on great architecture (besides Harvard’s, and we’ll see in the next 50 years).

BU, as seen from BU

IMG_6539.jpg

The BU skyline from the esplanade

IMG_6586.jpg

I agree with Van, this is bland and unoffensive, yet modern and attractive.

Although, Jass's photo from the Esplanade on the rainy day makes all of BU look like a Commie Block.

today while driveing sorry for the shitty shot!
123.jpg

Off-topic, but about BU.

I was on the subway going past the Agganis Arena and noticed how nice and "natural" the brick work looked.

Does anyone know anything about the building? Is it not pre-fab brick? Why does it look so much better than other brick buildings of our time??

The administrators at BU were giving tours today of the New Building. Sadly they only took us to the 2nd and 3rd floors. No top floors photos yet. Hopefully I will be able to get up to the top in the near future to take some pictures.
COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

How's the inside? How's it compare to the other newish dorms?

Im not impressed. the bedrooms are tiny for the price theyre asking. And unlike the first stuvi building, which had 4 people and 2 bathrooms per apartment, this one has 4 people and only one bathroom per apartment, or 8 people and 2 bathrooms per suite.

Furniture not final

IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

This is a double room
IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

IMG_8403.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

IMG_8406.jpg

IMG_8407.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

Jeeze, it looks like the designed it so you can't tell when some drunk freshmen blows chunks after a night a binge drinking. That's gonna be dangerous.

Believe it or not, that room is almost twice the size of some of the dorm closets I inhabited in New York.

Back