Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

What is the difference between the 2 Bulfinch threads?

The Bulfinch Xing Residential thread is for construction pictures & discussion of the residential tower only.

This thread is for the general discussion of the master plan including updates on phases. Construction photos should not be posted here, as all construction at this point is happening on the residential tower.

Is there a document somewhere that shows what happens to the Haymarket station bus area both during and after construction?

This is the PDA with the renderings of the bus drop off area which is being reworked as part of one of the later phases... I think. I can't find anything about what happens during construction, but I didn't dig around much.

Rendering of office view from the One Congress tower posted on HYM's Bulfinch Crossing twitter feed:

C8zzNi7XcAEAu8i.jpg

https://twitter.com/bulfinchxing?lang=en

WOW. That may be one of the best views of any office tower in the world. The way it makes it look like the river is coming directly under the tower is incredible. Imagine if we get a supertall in Boston and across the river Cambridge gets one as well at volpe and you have twins on either side of the river there...........oh my goodness.

Heres the view from the opposite side of the tower. Incredible as expected.

components_one_congress_room_airport_image.jpg

Some more greatness:

components_one_congress_interior_office_image.jpg
[/IMG]

components_one_congress_lobby_exterior_image.jpg

components_one_congress_hero_shot_image.jpg

components_one_congress_lobby_interior_image.jpg

I think it would be a good idea to use this as the world trade center replacement. Consolidate it into one brand new tower, in a prominent location, with MUCH better transit access. They don't have a tenant last I knew, and they want to replace the wtc.....Kill all the birds with one stone. Theres also quite a few low rises like the old wtc had to separate different portions of the complex when needed. Its sort of a similar setup with the superblock, but a modern version with lots of ground floor retail. Come on Boston lets make a splash! This is going to be one of the best architectural achievements in the city and this would look much nicer than many wtcs of other cities around the world.

Last edited:
With views like that you really gotta wonder why they opted for this to be office? Those are eight digit residential penthouse views.

A restaurant and obs deck would make a killing with those views.

Why is nobody doing anything like this with any of the new towers? Top of the Hub could use some competition, and it seems like a big money draw.

A restaurant and obs deck would make a killing with those views.

Why is nobody doing anything like this with any of the new towers? Top of the Hub could use some competition, and it seems like a big money draw.

Restaurants and observation decks generally require their own dedicated elevators, which is a big commitment of space and resources. That's one of the reasons why an observation deck isn't included in Millennium's Winthrop Square plans, even though the BRA asked for one.

Office floors are also big money draws, and they are much easier to implement.

The Hancock was happy to replace their (required) observation deck with more offices, which they were able to do under the pretense of "security" after 9/11. If the observation deck had worked out better for them they would have kept it.

Calling the architects:

What do you think of this tower's design?
(My non-credentialed opinion is that it totally kicks ass).

Good taste is universal. I don't like country music but I can tell when theres a good country song. As a non architect I can say this is a very tasteful, unique, architectural icon for the area.

Good taste is universal. I don't like country music but I can tell when theres a good country song. As a non architect I can say this is a very tasteful, unique, architectural icon for the area.

It'll never get built.

Whys that?

This cycle is coming to an end and there isin't much demand for premium office space (compared to residental). Lab space and low rises are in greater demand compared to tall office towers. The John Hancock tower still has lots of vacant space.

Unless a maricle happens and a large company wants their own namesake tower I doubt anything other then the tall residential tower will be built in the foreseeable future.

Of course I hope I'm wrong.

I'd love to see the Pelli tower switched to hotel. We need more high rise hotels in Boston.

Back