Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

This is one of the best developments going in my opinion. The Renderings are priceless.
Does anybody know if they are building on Spec or they have locked on to a major tenant? There seems to be weakness concerning future perspective tenants.

What was on this site before they started construction? Was it just a garage, or other buildings or what?

Hubman,

not trying to be an ass, but Google +/- Earth is your friend.

the project actually goes back quite a ways before this date, but for a good starting point of the proposal that was eventually approved – you can begin here....

the NEWRA neighborhood bitch and moan letter that got the towers' height reduced....

http://northendwaterfront.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NEWRA_GOVT_CTR_RESPONSE.pdf

new proposals; Developers proposing $4 billion Boston garage makeover

Want to turn hulking garages downtown into elegant skyscrapers of homes, offices, stores — and some parking

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...town-boston/se5wua4zSnJVQF0bVuRTAL/story.html

finalized renders; Developers detail plan for Government Center garage towers

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...rs-released/ua8kgrpsdiN2YptJ57nIXO/story.html

approved Jan 14, 2016; Government Center Garage to give way to two glass skyscrapers

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...al-approval/H1iJiouK17Sk2tuPQ8r9QL/story.html

project details; In Government Center, a nifty development trick

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/05/26/buildgarage/fM4VaW1Bx1nWfxwOywDXeN/story.html

updated renders....

http://realestate.boston.com/luxury...e-tallest-residential-rental-tower-in-boston/

:)

Last edited:
I walked by this yesterday and still can't fully wrap my head around what is going to happen in order for the residential tower to get out of the ground.

Basically, it looks like they are only dismantling the top, office portion of the garage and leaving the garage itself intact. Then there are some thick/huge vertical beams that already extend right through the garage. If they are not going to take down the rest of the garage, is there going to be a noticeable hole they will have to dig? Otherwise it looks like this one might be ready to go vertical in a very short amount of time.

He's totally not being sarcastic.

Anyone else remember TheBostonBoy? Is it possible he's grown up to be Hubman?

Too funny not to comment on this....can't believe anyone remembered me. Unfortunately I didn't grow up to become "Hubman" but I haven't logged on archboston in about 10 years. Although, I've been on the forum as a guest all 10 of those years keeping up with news as well as watching most of you tear at each other's necks. It was pretty entertaining. Anyway, I was 15 years old when I first joined this site; I was stupid, immature and had no comments of value. Maybe this go-around I can actually contribute.

Sorry to unnecessarily bump the thread but I see plenty of users on here doing it for far more pointless reasons. wont happen again

I walked by this yesterday and still can't fully wrap my head around what is going to happen in order for the residential tower to get out of the ground.

Basically, it looks like they are only dismantling the top, office portion of the garage and leaving the garage itself intact. Then there are some thick/huge vertical beams that already extend right through the garage. If they are not going to take down the rest of the garage, is there going to be a noticeable hole they will have to dig? Otherwise it looks like this one might be ready to go vertical in a very short amount of time.

As I understand it, they are going to keep the garage in place, encased in the lower floors of the building, and use it as a sort of podium for the tower above. So, no hole. Same plan for the office tower, should they lease enough space to launch it. Gets them vertical faster and - I'd assume - keeps construction costs much lower.

As I understand it, they are going to keep the garage in place, encased in the lower floors of the building, and use it as a sort of podium for the tower above. So, no hole. Same plan for the office tower, should they lease enough space to launch it. Gets them vertical faster and - I'd assume - keeps construction costs much lower.

Any idea when we should start seeing vertical steel then? Do you know how far the building will stick out compared to where the garage is now? I walked by this last night and didn't see much discernible difference from 2 weeks ago.

Are they drilling or have they drilled piles through the existing garage? i'm extra curious, because it could come into play for build up at 125 Lincoln St, and Beach Street garages, where you may not be able to build tall enough to justify removing the existing structures.

Are they drilling or have they drilled piles through the existing garage? i'm extra curious, because it could come into play for build up at 125 Lincoln St, and Beach Street garages, where you may not be able to build tall enough to justify removing the existing structures.

I honestly cannot imagine anyone building over the 125 Lincoln Street garage. That garage is really near end of life, and could self-demolish at any time (in my opinion).

I believe they have to drill some piles down through the garage. Not sure if/when that happens. But it's almost certainly faster and cheaper than a full foundation.

Exciting news connected to this project! The city's moving forward with a pedestrianized Canal Street!!!

Canal Street will go car-free for one day this summer

This is exciting. Canal seems to want to be car free at rush hour anyway so let's see how it works. I can easily imagine it as limited access (shared vehicles, residents) and very pedestrian oriented. It could be a really great link/place to go between Bullfinch Crossing and the Hub on Causeway.

This is exciting. Canal seems to want to be car free at rush hour anyway so let's see how it works. I can easily imagine it as limited access (shared vehicles, residents) and very pedestrian oriented. It could be a really great link/place to go between Bullfinch Crossing and the Hub on Causeway.

I hope they do it again, on Bullfinch Crossing opening day.

See this post.

Enzo posts aside, it's going to be glorious when the Big Towers + 104 Canal are up.

just glorious.

I'd like to see some city input on the road system around these buildings. Congress/Merrimac is a very obvious corridor and from State Street all the way to Lomasney Way it still very much feels like the post-urban-renewal-destruction urban highway planners of yesteryear designed it to be. The obvious need for cycle tracks has already been mentioned on this thread. The view shown here shows another roadway that desperately needs reconfiguration: the end of New Chardon Street. The last end of New Chardon looks like what it is: a highway entry/off ramp. Given that the tunnel speed is 35mph, there's no reason why the ramps need such wide access roads. As this whole area will be dug up as part of this project, the city has an opportunity to step in and coordinate revamping both the North Washington & New Chardon as well as New Chardon & Merrimac intersections.

I'm quoting myself. Sorry.
I came across this diagram of the plans for Congress Street: Notice that the original plans called for an elevated viaduct over Congress Street from 93 to New Chardon. Could have been worse. Still needs to be rectified and I repeat that this project should include dehighway-ification of Sudbury, New Chardon and Congress.

PS - anyone else remember a few years ago when they changed New Sudbury back to Sudbury?

City-Planning-Board-report-1958-6.jpg

components_one_congress_hero_shot_image.jpg

View+04_final.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been posted before, but here's a 3-minute marketing video for the entire project. The first 80 seconds are fluff, animated renders kick in at 1:20.

Last edited:

Back