Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

I know I've posted this before but came across it again...

Neoscape_HYMNorthPoint_LechmereStation_V1_FINAL.jpg

Nice! Since I rarely get over in that general area, what does that area look like today using the same perspective from the above rendering? Is this really what the future holds for NorthPoint?

Nice! Since I rarely get over in that general area, what does that area look like today using the same perspective from the above rendering? Is this really what the future holds for NorthPoint?

It's not that dense yet. Lechmere Sq. is the least-touched yet since most finished action is further east. Green Line viaduct relocation across the street and construction warzone therein backloads Lechmere in the development queue.

But it's definitely trending towards bona fide neighborhood in itself. Won't see quite the close building spacing as in that illustration because the massing is broken up by ample greenspace. But it'll be exactly that lively in 10-12 years the way things are blowing up big.

Right now it looks like a couple of those buildings and a lot of dirt. Just scroll up or go back a page.

@atlantaden ... That render no longer makes sense since the site plan has undergone several major changes in the last five years, and then some more recent ones when DivCo West purchased the project. Just a few for giggles:

- The head house is apparently over what is now the Avalon Phase II development site (the new plan calls for a possible interface only if they extend the Green Line);

XX -- A bunch of ridiculous stuff here, including a Coruscant-esque low rise city -- XX

- My condo building has disappeared (!) along with our large park, and several roads. :p

In seriousness, what's mostly wrong is that the north-south distance is stretched. There's no current plan to shoehorn that much between the Sierra-Tango condo complex and the non-Northpoint Zinc building. In fact, at our last meeting with DivCo, they were proud to show reduced building density, not increased.

mlk28p.png

370,000 square foot proposed lab and office building overlooking NorthPoint Common. The 11-story, 143 foot tall building would include approximately 355,000 square feet of lab and office space as well as 15,000 square feet of ground-floor retail. Office space could include a rooftop terrace. Three levels of underground parking would contain 348 vehicle parking spaces. 110 bicycle storage spaces would be located on the building’s first floor.

http://www.bldup.com/projects/northpoint-parcel-jk-development

More renders and a map in the design submissions:

http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/...ecialPermits/sp179/sp179_design_jk1.pdf?la=en

http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/...ecialPermits/sp179/sp179_design_jk2.pdf?la=en

Interesting detail - this building is partially in both Cambridge and Somerville.

Good stuff. Why the heck is the Cambridge/Somerville line a sine wave?

Northpoint Parcel JK

3H7083Ih.png

pETGaNLh.png

T1DyOuvh.png

TiFiaNOh.png

War0VWmh.png

PvEOwhVh.png

C49KmQuh.png

NERgIQzh.png

Lvy0GrMh.png

baFyp2eh.png

qg9aDWoh.png

gFMh9GMh.png

1zw1mXHh.png

WUR5bvuh.png

guOWMuMh.png

iEJu2Rth.png

avP4O3Zh.png

YmiQyiNh.png

v9fLIcAh.png

SJC3VKEh.png

aTY3AaBh.png

rJsPSq5h.png

KmVVGQ7h.png

B7Fijrch.png

WjC9jRKh.png

SSHJmPGh.png

mbSbsueh.png

It will be 143'..... Oh what's that, there appears to be at least 40' more above the 143'? Ohhhhh, no, no no..... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

I wonder if any other cities regularly leave 10-20% off their reported height totals.

MT is just 625'...... oh, 685'.
CSC is just 699'...... oh, 756'.
Congress Street Garage is 480' and 528'..... oh, ~540' and ~640'.
Atlantic Wharf is just 395'..... yes just 395'..... just..... oh, 436'.

The way we under-report EVERYTHING around here, it makes me wonder what else is still wrong wrong wrong.

Regarding this building.... Eh, it fit into an otherwise underwhelming, ugly, but still developing neighborhood full of fat boxes. (which currently makes the Seaport look like the Mona-Lisa of recent fat box construction)

What happened to the whole plan to extend the Minuteman/Somerville Linear Path down thru here to the river? I thought part of the whole idea of the Common was that part of it would be a cycle track... is the Linear Path just now going to terminate into some bike lanes on the street?

Funny how you might walk into the lobby which is in Cambridge, take the elevator up to your floor and walk to your office which is in Somerville.

What happened to the whole plan to extend the Minuteman/Somerville Linear Path down thru here to the river? I thought part of the whole idea of the Common was that part of it would be a cycle track... is the Linear Path just now going to terminate into some bike lanes on the street?

I believe that it got cut when the GLX went massively over budget.

It will be 143'..... Oh what's that, there appears to be at least 40' more above the 143'? Ohhhhh, no, no no..... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

I wonder if any other cities regularly leave 10-20% off their reported height totals.

MT is just 625'...... oh, 685'.
CSC is just 699'...... oh, 756'.
Congress Street Garage is 480' and 528'..... oh, ~540' and ~640'.
Atlantic Wharf is just 395'..... yes just 395'..... just..... oh, 436'.

The way we under-report EVERYTHING around here, it makes me wonder what else is still wrong wrong wrong.

Even in NY, DOB permits only reflect the height to the highest occupied floor. Mechanical penthouses, crowns and other architectural features are usually left off the total.

I believe that it got cut when the GLX went massively over budget.
Per Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerville_Community_Path
Revised plan[edit]
The Green Line Extension project was found to be far over budget in 2015 and, on May 9, 2016, a revised plan for the Green Line Extension was proposed that would not incorporate a community path in the viaduct that will be built on the southern portion of the project, so as to save money. As a result, the community path will now terminate at Washington Street, Somerville instead of Water Street in Cambridge. The new path design shifts from the west side of the track to the east side and then back again between Central Street and School Street and has fewer entrances from cross streets. South of Washington Street, bike commuters would have to use city streets, including the McGrath Highway, to reach the Charles River Bike Path network and downtown Boston.[17]
Here's a link to GLX's plan to end the path at Washington St in Somerville.

Current plan is bike paths on each side of the rebuilt McGrath Highway:
https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/HighlightedProjects/McGrath/CorridorBase_south.pdf

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/hig...vardProject/DocumentsandMeetingMaterials.aspx

To be honest it (and the entire path) should have never been on the books for the GLX in the first place.

The current plans to dump the path onto streets, in one of the least bike friendly parts of Somerville, is just nuts.

Back