Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

The EF building is the "glass waterfall" development, right?
I'm curious if they'll use a different type of glass for the waterfall or more of the darker glazing.

I like what I see so far, though.

If anyone wants an up close and personal view of the EF building, take a ride on the Tobin bridge on-ramp off Storrow/93 (big loop). The ramp is so close to the side of the building and you can see everything inside.

http://goo.gl/maps/uYkql

Here is a better angle of the EF building façade. The first two stories are clear glass, then the stripes begin. The "waterfall" will be just to the right of these panels.
FEFCWGH.jpg

The back of the garage at One Broadway is being boarded up with plywood. Are they moving to construction on the residential tower for here? If the approvals are in place, really no sense in waiting.

The are finishing up the base a watermark 2 next door, but there appears to be furniture in some units already.

I love where this building is situated. I wish it were something really tall and striking.
9175139407_0689c931a0_c.jpg

Am I alone in thinking the EF building is one of those buildings that looks better without the façade installed? At least the iron beams give the overall effect of texture and visual interest. The façade is looking pretty sterile aside from the soon to come massive crack in the middle which I'm thinking will look amateurish. We'll see.... oh well, I guess it's better than the dirt patch that was there before.

The back of the garage at One Broadway is being boarded up with plywood. Are they moving to construction on the residential tower for here? If the approvals are in place, really no sense in waiting.

The are finishing up the base a watermark 2 next door, but there appears to be furniture in some units already.

The One Broadway garage is getting an overhaul. The rumor is that there are major structural issues that require repair. As far as I know, this is not related to the residential tower that is planned to be built where the outdoor parking lot for One Broadway is now.

The construction schedule for the garage is from June 2013 through June 2014, a full year. Parking is now for permit-holders only and they are valet parking cars so they can 'stack' them for more capacity.

I know that the MIT rezoning plan got approved, but there have not been any announcements about the start of construction. When I went to the planning night, I was told the residential tower next to One Broadway is the first project that will break ground.

Love it so far, though I don't get the pattern breaks in the second and third pictures... visual interest? Or just making room for the glass waterfall?

Recent signs in the new watermark building have a Cambridge spirits going there and a Commonwealth market. The space looks huge, and I hope it is a pretty good fresh food market. Great to see the residences in this area pick up to give it some life. In th past 4 years of working in the area, the overall vitality has picked up immensely. People hang around afterwork for drinks and dinner, when before it was either Beacon hill or Central. Still slow on weekends but that's the curse of having a lot of good paying jobs ;)

Recent signs in the new watermark building have a Cambridge spirits going there and a Commonwealth market. The space looks huge, and I hope it is a pretty good fresh food market. Great to see the residences in this area pick up to give it some life. In th past 4 years of working in the area, the overall vitality has picked up immensely. People hang around afterwork for drinks and dinner, when before it was either Beacon hill or Central. Still slow on weekends but that's the curse of having a lot of good paying jobs ;)

Commonwealth is going to be a combination restaurant and market. It is not exactly a grocery store, but there will be basic provisions like eggs and orange juice, along with lots of prepared meal options. There is a whole series of blog articles detailing the design and build process:
http://boston.eater.com/tags/steve-nookie-postal

Back