Channel Center | Fort Point

Commonwealth Ventures says their project covers five existing buildings. Which ones are these? Does that include the ones attached to 25-35 Channel Center and the Midway Studios? Will this cover all remaining non-redeveloped buildings? I'm confused as to who owns what.

What's not to like?? She's fun, she's funky, she's totally out of the norm and yet, she fits right in!!

What's not to like?? She's fun, she's funky, she's totally out of the norm and yet, she fits right in!!

Kh3Bg8a.jpg

UT1Zgyo.jpg

DF5xkxz.jpg

Sicilian, I'm talking about her looks, not her street-level personality, and I'm definitely NOT talking about the parking garage! I totally agree with you that it's a shame about lack of retail space on her street level and the same about the garage! Let's hope the screening on the garage is a winner! Just a thought, however! Concerning new construction of large office and residential buildings, doesn't most of the street level retail/commercial space tend to be built in residential buildings and this is an office building, if I'm not mistaken!

Anyone know anything about the fairly-large park that is going in where the pile of dirt in the foreground currently rests?

The garage doesn't bother me as much as the empty parcels of land and the abandoned light-industrial buildings at and around West 2nd and West Broadway. Can someone please buy and convert these lots into residential (with some ground floor retail)?

Anyone know anything about the fairly-large park that is going in where the pile of dirt in the foreground currently rests?

The garage doesn't bother me as much as the empty parcels of land and the abandoned light-industrial buildings at and around West 2nd and West Broadway. Can someone please buy and convert these lots into residential (with some ground floor retail)?

I second that. The abandoned warehouses on west 3rd (backside faces west 2) has got to go. I'm sure its just a matter of time. I'm not worried about the lack of retail yet as there is no demand for it. Lots of empty spaces in channel center. Short-sighted, maybe, but I have hopes that lobby space and other areas can be converted into retail if there is a demand for it.

Sicilian, I'm talking about her looks, not her street-level personality, and I'm definitely NOT talking about the parking garage! I totally agree with you that it's a shame about lack of retail space on her street level and the same about the garage! Let's hope the screening on the garage is a winner! Just a thought, however! Concerning new construction of large office and residential buildings, doesn't most of the street level retail/commercial space tend to be built in residential buildings and this is an office building, if I'm not mistaken!

Understood. I generally look at the whole package.

The rear of this building faces a street with burgeoning retailers now facing an inactive backside. Among them, this fall George Foreman III is opening a massive gym and juice bar at 15 Channel Center. So the fact that this new building is inactive on all faces except the corner facing Gillette is pathetic.

The community asked for the garage to have at least potential for ground floor activation 25 years from now, even if it meant adding another floor for parking. The BRA nixed all such reasonable requests.

I'll mention that I'm generally a fan of ADD Inc and also of the developer of this project... a developer that has worked well with the Fort Point community.

As for the artwork going up, it is being designed/engineered by a Fort Point artist and I appreciate the enthusiasm (and elbow grease) going into manufacturing it. We'll have to judge the outcome objectively once installed, but it's fair to say many folks here in Fort Point do feel a sense of excitement about the artwork despite widespread condemnation of the garage behind it.

The problem with this area is it's still pretty much a dead zone. I don't think any street level retail could possibly survive within the next 3-5 years. After that maybe there will be enough buildup and activity for us to lament this.

Am I the only person excited to go to the top of this garage and snap off some sweeping skyline views?

The problem with this area is it's still pretty much a dead zone. I don't think any street level retail could possibly survive within the next 3-5 years. After that maybe there will be enough buildup and activity for us to lament this.

Am I the only person excited to go to the top of this garage and snap off some sweeping skyline views?

Channel Center street is increasing in activity, and this would have been a terrific opportunity to step things up.

Beside George Foreman III's gym and existing retail spots (Mrs. B's, Bob's Your Uncle, hair salon), a wine bar named Internal Matter is opening at 35 Channel Center (across from Barlows). Liquor license is already in place.

As for photos from top of garage, I think you'd be looking over a corrugated building at Gillette HQ, approximate the same scale.

Channel Center street is increasing in activity, and this would have been a terrific opportunity to step things up.

Beside George Foreman III's gym and existing retail spots (Mrs. B's, Bob's Your Uncle, hair salon), a wine bar named Internal Matter is opening at 35 Channel Center (across from Barlows). Liquor license is already in place.

As for photos from top of garage, I think you'd be looking over a corrugated building at Gillette HQ, approximate the same scale.

How is the salon and Bobs Your Uncle in business? Nothing against them, but I walk down Channel Center at least three times a day and have never noticed anyone in either business. Mrs. B's on the other hand is in dire need of competition.. Dead zone this is not, but it definitely has a ways to go. I do feel that this area and the Broadway area in general is in for a shock once St. street opens.

I've spoken to a few St. Street employees who are making the move, and it sounds like they are planning on packing even more into the building then originally planned. I wonder if lack of retail space has anything to do with an overall lack of space for St. Street?

How is the salon and Bobs Your Uncle in business? Nothing against them, but I walk down Channel Center at least three times a day and have never noticed anyone in either business. Mrs. B's on the other hand is in dire need of competition.. Dead zone this is not, but it definitely has a ways to go. I do feel that this area and the Broadway area in general is in for a shock once St. street opens.

I've spoken to a few St. Street employees who are making the move, and it sounds like they are planning on packing even more into the building then originally planned. I wonder if lack of retail space has anything to do with an overall lack of space for St. Street?

Jamie the salon guy is somewhat of a celebrity, drawing customers from across town and not at all dependent on walk-ins.

Bob's Your Uncle has a successful mail order business. The retail space is somewhat a showroom and also supplemental to the business.

Jamie the salon guy is somewhat of a celebrity, drawing customers from across town and not at all dependent on walk-ins.

Bob's Your Uncle has a successful mail order business. The retail space is somewhat a showroom and also supplemental to the business.

Gotcha, that is good to hear. I still think this strip is way to insular. I remember hearing about how retail had to face in, due to Gillette demands, but there has to be some sort of smart signage directing folks into channel center from A. Probably not quite as necessary until State Street moves in.. But needed nonetheless. Back on topic though, I hope this area does demand the retail that the new buildings could have provided.. Regardless of having the space ready for them to fill out.

Not quite the same parcels, but nearby...

Procter & Gamble donates Gillette parking lot in South Boston to Artists for Humanity

P&G has decided to give away a 9,000-square-foot parcel adjacent to AFH's current property so the nonprofit group can create what it calls a "Creative Industries EpiCenter" as part of an expansion of its existing 23,500-square-foot facility on West Second Street. The donated parcel abuts A Street, between West Second and West First streets, and has been used by Gillette for parking.

The land donation was scheduled to be unveiled today at a press conference at the site featuring Mayor Thomas Menino and representatives for P&G/Gillette and AFH.

AFH's main mission is to find employment opportunities for teens in creative fields such as arts and design. AFH bills itself as one of the largest employers of teens in the city of Boston, with more than 300-plus teens working every year in paid apprenticeships in the visual arts and creative industries. AFH says the expansion will allow it to significantly increase the number of positions in its youth employment programs, expand studio and production space, and develop technical and vocational programs in technology-based arts media and trades. There will also be a dedicated gallery space, a retail store and a neighborhood cafe.
(emphasis provided)

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2013/07/gillette-donates-land-to-afh.html

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...hannel Center/One Channel Center_Comments.pdf

Once completed, park may be subject to some future trimming for planned widening of A Street in existing agreements between BRA and Gillette.

I really like the way this building is turning out. That parking garage... slap some windows in the open spaces on each level and you have a perfect 1980's Burlington office building.

Why the hell would A St need to be wider???????

The community attended 60 public meetings drafting the 100 Acres Master Plan. A year after the public final draft was published it was discovered that the BRA had entered into a number of private agreements (MOAs and "Cooperation Agreements") with large property owners, providing rights never previously disclosed publicly nor aligned with the public Master Plan final draft.

Among these privately drafted agreements, the BRA developed an A Street widening plan with Gillette. When the BRA and BTD were asked to explain the rationale, they denied the existence of the MOA. A year later the drawings were made public, and the widening plans are now on the BRA 100 Acres page. No rationale has ever been presented to the community.

My own belief is that the widening plan bolsters Gillette's long-held position that A Street is and will remain a truck route.

Back