City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Re: Offical City Hall Plaza Proposals

JUST IN: Boston Winter festival at City Hall Plaza grand opening postponed to Dec. 7 at 4:30 p.m.

https://twitter.com/7News/status/804769575233605632

Edit:
Some sources saying it's because of the unseasonably warm weather.

Hummm.... the high today is 49F. Average high for this date is 46F. Typical range is 41F to 52F. (All per Weather Underground)

This temperature was not anticipated?

Hummm.... the high today is 49F. Average high for this date is 46F. Typical range is 41F to 52F. (All per Weather Underground)

This temperature was not anticipated?

Yesterday and Tuesday it was near 60. I imagine it put a kink in their plans of getting the ice ready to go.

Yesterday and Tuesday it was near 60. I imagine it put a kink in their plans of getting the ice ready to go.

There is an outdoor ice rink in downtown Tampa for much of the winter every year. It is in the 50's-70's all winter and a few days it gets up into the 80's but you can still skate. If the city of Boston really wants an outdoor ice rink they can make it happen regardless of the day to day temperature.

Seemed like it got closer to 60 in the sun today, maybe it was cooler at Logan near the water. Didn't feel like 49... Still, I wonder what the refrigeration is rated up to. At least from the pictures I saw that it looked like they were laying out tubing for refrigeration.

There is an outdoor ice rink in downtown Tampa for much of the winter every year. It is in the 50's-70's all winter and a few days it gets up into the 80's but you can still skate. If the city of Boston really wants an outdoor ice rink they can make it happen regardless of the day to day temperature.

Yeah they do the same in Fresno. Regularly in the 70s during the day, 50s at night. The outdoor rink manages for 1 month.

Anyone go by and take some pictures? Supposed to be partly open now. Skating to follow.

Finally stopped by today. And...well, there was an attempt.

The Bad:
I really hope they are just renting/leasing those Home Depot sheds and will come back with something better next year. They are even worse up close then from afar.
The shed placement is really weird. Some are lined up like little solders in perfect rows, while others look they were just dropped in random spots. Seemed really rushed and haphazard.
While I appreciate the attempt, City Hall Plaza will never feel like a winter wonderland without a major overhaul. The chipped and cracked red brick underfoot just takes you out of the setting. Not sure if they can put hay or mulch or something like that down to cover it, but it would go a long way. I could see that causing other problems. Not sure of a fix on that.
Not their fault and it won't be a problem at night or next year but sitting next to an active construction zone doesn't help.
The giant BOSTON sign is not as nearly impressive as it seemed in the renders.
The weird PVC pipe Christmas tree doesn't really work (it might be better at night?)

The Good:
The skating path looks great. Glad they invested in the glass walls. Makes a world of difference. Would love to see that at the Frog Pond.
The shops actually seems like small, local vendors. I was expecting to see some national brands, etc. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shops. Not too much cheap junk, not too much fru fru crap. (your mileage may vary)
The "Lodge" actually seemed pretty decent despite being in a event tent.

So, for the first year, there are definitely some kinks to work out, some are easy fixes, some things probably can't/won't be fixed. My biggest problem was the sheds. They need to invest in better designed, higher quality 'chalets' for future events.

Finally stopped by today. And...well, there was an attempt.

The Bad:
I really hope they are just renting/leasing those Home Depot sheds and will come back with something better next year. They are even worse up close then from afar.
The shed placement is really weird. Some are lined up like little solders in perfect rows, while others look they were just dropped in random spots. Seemed really rushed and haphazard.
While I appreciate the attempt, City Hall Plaza will never feel like a winter wonderland without a major overhaul. The chipped and cracked red brick underfoot just takes you out of the setting. Not sure if they can put hay or mulch or something like that down to cover it, but it would go a long way. I could see that causing other problems. Not sure of a fix on that.
Not their fault and it won't be a problem at night or next year but sitting next to an active construction zone doesn't help.
The giant BOSTON sign is not as nearly impressive as it seemed in the renders.
The weird PVC pipe Christmas tree doesn't really work (it might be better at night?)

The Good:
The skating path looks great. Glad they invested in the glass walls. Makes a world of difference. Would love to see that at the Frog Pond.
The shops actually seems like small, local vendors. I was expecting to see some national brands, etc. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shops. Not too much cheap junk, not too much fru fru crap. (your mileage may vary)
The "Lodge" actually seemed pretty decent despite being in a event tent.

So, for the first year, there are definitely some kinks to work out, some are easy fixes, some things probably can't/won't be fixed. My biggest problem was the sheds. They need to invest in better designed, higher quality 'chalets' for future events.

The giant Adirondack chair at the entrance was a hit. Big line to take a picture sitting in chair. BOSTON sign was pretty impressive when lit up at night. Again, many posing in front of sign.

Cool. I'm glad it is being received so well. I guess I had a completely different idea in my head about what the sign was going to be.

They should leave the B O S T O N sign year round like Toronto has at their city hall plaza

I have not been yet but am planning on checking it out at somepoint during next week. Love that they are bringing Christmas markets to Boston - something that is a staple in many cities over in Europe and their Christmas markets are fantastic. Nice use of a barren wasteland of brick.

Was there yesterday it's a nice addition to the plaza

I propose a 1000 foot art deco style tower surrounded by a public park. Oh yah and a dramatic implosion of the current City Hall. The City Goverment could commit to space inside the new tower or at One Congress.

I seem to remember someone,many years ago, saying city hall looked like "petrified stool".

Back