Columbus Ave Student Housing | 10 Burke St | Northeastern University

I love how this rises above a block thats fully built out with a nice mix of old and new.

This is the website for the Burke Street Residence, now called Lightview:
https://www.americancampus.com/stude...ston/lightview
Going through that website they promote it as being adjacent to Northeastern and cite the various campus facilities nearby. But nowhere does it mention that leasing is only available to Northeastern students, not even on the application form.

Did you see the rates? The lowest is $1400 for a shared bedroom. I suppose a roommate is pretty typical in college but gosh that's a lot.

This is the website for the Burke Street Residence, now called Lightview:
https://www.americancampus.com/stude...ston/lightview
Going through that website they promote it as being adjacent to Northeastern and cite the various campus facilities nearby. But nowhere does it mention that leasing is only available to Northeastern students, not even on the application form.

i'm disappointed the cladding is so conformative.

i wouldn't mind a more questionable, daring alucobond and some other color.

^ Idk Im liking the facade. Theres a lot of varying heights of masonry and glass at the lower heights in the area and then they lead in to this tower which is all of these same things but carried on and exaggerated into the tower. This last pic is a great example of all of the varying materials and heights here which I think come together to create something very interesting. Sometimes its too much, but I think when its done right with stone and masonry like this it leads to great depth and variety. Tying it in with the glass too kind of brings it all together in a modern way. I think its a nice way to have a lot of heights and depths that are tied together well.

Thanks for the updated pics!

Does NU charge different rates depending on floor / view? The person on the 5th floor, facing the interior with the passageway cutting off a lot of light is going to see dramatically less than someone on the 18th floor, facing the ocean.

In my building the rent jumps ~$10 per floor, so a huge difference between the 3rd floor and the 60th.

Thanks for the updated pics!

Does NU charge different rates depending on floor / view? The person on the 5th floor, facing the interior with the passageway cutting off a lot of light is going to see dramatically less than someone on the 18th floor, facing the ocean.

In my building the rent jumps ~$10 per floor, so a huge difference between the 3rd floor and the 60th.

Since this residence hall is technically owned and marketed by Americans campus communities, the rate structure will most likely be different from NU’s traditional residence hall pricing scheme. As I recall, NU students have a lottery system for housing and posts the rates for housing in advance, along with floor plans. I distinctly recall selecting a 19th floor skyline view unit in International Village when it opened 9 years ago, and the cost to live in the same unit type was the same for floor 19 as it was on 10 and 22. The same was true for west village residence halls—you paid more if it was a premium living experience, not necessarily a premium view (I.e. central air, new kitchen, fancy common spaces, etc.).

32009494128_d01348a3c8_o.jpg

Last edited:
Since this residence hall is technically owned and marketed by Americans campus communities, the rate structure will most likely be different from NU’s traditional residence hall pricing scheme. As I recall, NU students have a lottery system for housing and posts the rates for housing in advance, along with floor plans. I distinctly recall selecting a 19th floor skyline view unit in International Village when it opened 9 years ago, and the cost to live in the same unit type was the same for floor 19 as it was on 10 and 22. The same was true for west village residence halls—you paid more if it was a premium living experience, not necessarily a premium view (I.e. central air, new kitchen, fancy common spaces, etc.).

When I lived in West H, for a few years in a row, I think it was the same price, no matter which floor I lived on, and I think I moved between 3 different floors over my time at NU.

Now that I think about it, though, the University really should charge more for the view. It's not like the students are usually thinking about how much their on-campus residence is costing them, nor do they really see it, since its all bundled up in their student loans.

When I lived in West H, for a few years in a row, I think it was the same price, no matter which floor I lived on, and I think I moved between 3 different floors over my time at NU.

Now that I think about it, though, the University really should charge more for the view. It's not like the students are usually thinking about how much their on-campus residence is costing them, nor do they really see it, since its all bundled up in their student loans.
Let's not. The school is already charging a ton of money from their students and there are students that actually look at the cost of on campus housing, like I did and any students that end up opting to go off campus because there's not enough non-premium dorms.

Northeastern isn't a for profit sham school. Let's not turn it into one.

It's not like the students are usually thinking about how much their on-campus residence is costing them, nor do they really see it, since its all bundled up in their student loans.

?? When I went to NU I moved off campus because I could save thousands. I went from a shared room in an older building ($950 per month) to my own room in an apartment with friends in Mission Hill for $500 per month. Students are absolutely looking at much how much their education is costing them and making adjustments where possible.

Back