DNA Lofts in Boston

The trees will also provide sap, bird shit and pollen gunk for cars - the poster doesn't mention that!

I don't mind that people involved with the project are posting here, but it would be nice if they had some pictures and some relevant information other than that trees provide shade.

I'd love to hear about how the architects designed the new Dot Ave facade to compliment, but not match, the old facade.

What ever Commuter Guy....how about this: Lots'o trees the dem cars to park unda. Is that better?

Out of curiosity, does anyone posting in this thread have a financial stake in this project?

I definitely don't, except for the fact that I own property in the area and I'm psyched that a nice building is going in.

Does anyone have any useful information about this building? I'm checking out different blogs and this one seems to have the most posts but not all are relevant.
I'm looking to buy a condo and I liked this building. Aside from the price discussion from the earlier threads and the occasional arguing, what do you guys know about the building and the developer? Good value/ bad value?
Thanks,
-Jason

An online forum where people discuss architecture is probably the wrong place to look for sales information on this project. My recommendation is to Google dorchester real estate brokers and talk to them. The developer is using out-of-market agents to market them, so they probably won't have tons of information about the neighborhood.

As a neighbor, I can say that this building looks like a huge success. It's a great addition to the neighborhood, the detail looks good, and the units are unique and funky. It's a stone's throw to the JFK T station and just off the I-93 on-ramp so the access is great. The building consists of a renovated brick warehouse with a new construction addition - the new construction addition has some dark blue panels on the top floors which make for some nice contrast to the red brick. Prices are reasonable, but be careful that you don't buy too early and end up living in a rental community. If you do buy early, make sure your contract has language protecting you if a large percent of the units go rental. There are two other large developments in Dorchester and both had single-digit sales and then went rental. The poor people who bought too early in those developments now own a condo in an apartment house.

My only financial "stake" in the property is that I live around the corner from it and am really glad that it's been built. It adds class and density to an area just now recovering from decades of blight.

The previous post ("should I buy here?") seems to be nothing but PR for the development; I recommend deletion.

I've brought this up before - there are almost a dozen posts on this little apartment building in Dorchester from people who have joined the board just to comment fawningly over this one little building. Seems odd at best.

That being said, if the brokers would just come out of the closet, introduce themselves and provide us with some good information, drawings and cool photographs, I certainly wouldn't have a problem at all - it's actually nice when you get inside information from people involved with the development. But these "i noticed they were blowing insulation into the walls as I walked by..." are just plain silly.

As soon as the weather gets better my neighbor/realtor said he'd email me some photos of the building that I could post here.

Pelhamhall - you act like you are the Archboston.org police. I mentioned before that I'm not a broker and definitely not "involved" with this development. Like you, I own properties in the area and I think the new building definitely adds to the area.

I wasn't talking about you, my friendly neighbor! I'm talking about all the first-time posters swarming the board just to comment breathlessly on this one little apartment building.

I took a tour of phase 1 of this project way back in 2007. They are the units south of the renovated/new building, next to Ryan Playground. The developers converted an old factory, or whatever it was, into lofts, they did a great job. They were especially concerned with sound mitigation and the units all had staggered insulated double walls between neighboring condos. The concrete floors were stained in a very original way, the bathrooms had great tile/mosaic features and the kitchens were way too modern for my tastes, but they were almost sold out and they were not cheap, by Dorchester standards. Of course that was before the bubble burst. Still (East) Dorchester is way undervalued. The neighborhoods are authentic, mostly friendly, and safe. The property taxes are extremely affordable. Car insurance is very high but public transportation is excellent. It's Boston's last frontier. There is money to be made here, if you're smart.

"Those who invest here will make lots of money!!!"

How pathetic this has all become.

Not talking about this project I'm talking about the neighborhood. When did it become "pathetic" to make money on an investment?

No, it's pathetic that someone is shilling real estate on this board.

I have nothing to do with real estate. I own property in Dorchester after having lived in the South End for 4 years. In that short time I watched Bohemian Boston get totally destroyed. Everybody who was fun, different, unconventional, interesting, and yes, sometimes poor or old, were displaced. The new South End is full of baby carriages and former suburbanites who got sick of the commute. The place is becoming sterile. It's great that the buildings are being restored, and just in the nick of time, because many were on the verge of collapsing on themselves. But the neighborhood has been lost. Gay people especially, the pioneers of that neighborhood, are not necessarily being displaced but you must wonder "do I want to live here anymore? Are the super-white, super-moneyed, super-entitled suburbanites moving into these once rundown flats capable of participating in a real neighborhood? NO they are not. Bohemia and all its glorys have been wiped clean from Boston Proper. I bailed out and moved to Dorchester where many of my old South End friends now live. I like it here, it's very neighborly after breaking through the ice. Many of these 100 year old 3-deckers are owned by old woman and men who can no longer maintain them, hence the rundown chain-link look. But these buildings are here to stay. They sit on granite foundations with massive cental wooden beams holding up real 2 x 4's that are difficult to drive a screw through. And best of all the unconventional, original, different people are here. Dorchester is becoming Boston's new Bohemia. All I was originally trying to say is that this neighborhood is a good investment, just like the South End of the 1980's. All you need to do is lose the 3-decker stigma.

Oh my god, this is terrible. Those people had no right to move into your neighborhood and destroy it. We need laws saying who can live where. We can't allow this to ever happen again. Before it's to late we need to protect Dorchester for your kind of people. Babies even, how gross

Death to sterile people, La Vie Boheme!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Vie_Boheme

Aren't you and your boho friends currently destroying a working class blue collar Irish neighborhood? I guess if they're boring then it's kind of like a mercy killing.

Last edited:
^^ I don't think that young families are the problem, per se. It's the affluent, entitled parents who raise their children like veal. They make no social investment in the community because they're not staying. They'll pack up for the 'burbs (Wayland, Duxbury, Concord, etc.) when it's time for the kiddies to start school.

It's always fun to generalize.

I suppose. But are you suggesting such people don't exist? I'm friends with some of 'em. Is it wrong to think that some of those who leave could make an impact to improve our schools (and other aspects of the urban experience) if they'd simply get involved. Then maybe they'd stick around.

I asked some questions in this thread and I think at least one applies to this discussion. What do you "own" when you own a home?

Ownership in the city (or anyplace, really) goes beyond the property line. Be a neighbor, know your block, engage.

Back