DNA Lofts in Boston

[/QUOTE]Ownership in the city (or anyplace, really) goes beyond the property line. Be a neighbor, know your block, engage.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Jimbo, after re-reading the thread I can see where you thought there was a troll, I'm not it.

mpm617 -- Glad you agree.

BostonObserver -- What say you? Has my potato been bakin' too long?

I lived in the South End and the St Botolph in the 70's and 80 and I saw a very broad mix of people at the neighborhood meetings and at meeting such as the Orange Line relocation. I also saw a mix of people who show up for the one topic that affects them and then they are never seen again. Renter are the worst. No participation worst behavior. That might sound elitist but it's very true.

"Renter are the worst. No participation worst behavior. That might sound elitist but it's very true."

As you said yesterday:

It's always fun to generalize.

yes, I was in kind of a devil's advocate mood last night. I've been mostly a renter in Boston.

Has anyone actually toured the DNA lofts lately? It looks like they a model unit set up. The landscaping looks good but the other day they were watering it with a hose. Does anyone know if there is an irrigation system in place?

Went over to DNA Lofts today. The model unit is set up. The construction quality is stellar. Incredible windows and light. Excellent brickwork throughout the project, very cool roof deck, beautiful post and beam construction that is visible in the lofts. I preferred the concrete floors to the bamboo which has been laid in some units. The finishes in the kitchen and bath are very nice. Some details and color choices may be a bit too hip for Boston taste, in a Miami Beach kind of way. As stated above, the landscaping is very nice.

Unfortunately, this project has sprung upon the market at a very tough time. At the right price point this is a great investment opportunity.

During your tour did they happen to mention if the parking will be "gated". They recently finished installing the fence..but I wasn't sure if they were going to have a gate or not.

I have a question:

How is DNA lofts able to provide such excellent, quality homes in such a great location at such low prices and do I need to act fast in order to not miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

I have a question:

How is DNA lofts able to provide such excellent, quality homes in such a great location at such low prices and do I need to act fast in order to not miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

Jimbo, I appreciate your sarcasm, and your insinuation that everyone writing about this project is a shill...but I'm pretty sure you've seen me write about more than this project. I assure you, I've got no dog in this fight.

I think JimboJones is the mole...he's probably the person financing the entire deal. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have just moved to the city and I am currently renting down the street from DNA. I am looking to buy and I thinking of putting in a reservation at DNA, I toured the building this weekend, I loved the finishes and the building. The open house was really busy, so hopefully that is a good sign in this horriable market.
I heard that they have a number of reservations in already, does anyone know if this is true????

I just found out about these lofts recently - while I doubt they'll come down to a price I'd be comfortable paying for one, they have definitely caught my fancy. Anyone have any more information on them?

One thing I was struck by was the use of the courtyard. It seems to be about 2/3rds bark mulch with trees, and maybe one third grass. With its city location, wouldn't more grass have meant a more useful space to the tenants?

Some pics:
81_1_2_9227.jpg

Also, wouldn't it have been more valuable for the first floor lofts to have easy access to the courtyard, instead of having fully fenced 'balconies'?

81_1_29_dna_9222.jpg

I suppose the trees are more interesting for the higher elevations, who otherwise would be just looking across at their neighbors. As someone who grew up in the burbs, I just can't help thinking they're making the courtyard into something you look at rather than something you use.

Perhaps there is just too much shadow to grow grass well there - especially if you still want the trees?
81_1_51_9256.jpg

Last edited:
I probably should have mentioned, those pics are from the gallery at www.dnaloftsboston.com

I assumed this would constitute fair use, since i'm sure they'll take what publicity they can get.

This reminded me that I had taken pics of this property on my way home over the Fall. I live a few blocks from here. My photography sucks, but the building is actually pretty good.

They are not selling at all and according to the local real estate people the building is most likely to go rental like the Carruth and the Schoolhouse did.

The funniest thing is that on the marketing materials they photoshopped the Boston skyline to make it look closer, and they slid in the Hancock Tower into the wrong spot, completely out of scale. I'll try to get a scan, it's downright hilarious. They just flipped it around and tucked the building in out of place from where it actually is. I live here, the skyline is not that close. Joe Fallon pulled this trick at Fan Pier too!

DSC00577.jpg

New facade (left) incorporated into the old existing facade (right):

DSC00575.jpg

The courtyard:
DSC00573.jpg

I give the developers a lot of credit for building such a nice and unusual building. My photos sucks, but I really like this building. In a different market, or with a more reasonable pricing structure this would have been a big hit. The out-of-market brokers didn't seem to get the neighborhood or understand its nuances and personality.

Last edited:
For those of you in the neighborhood that wanted a closer look, looks like they're having an open house this weekend:

* Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM (Source: MLS)
* Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM (Source: MLS)

Guess they're still trying to put off going rental.

DNA Lofts-

Prices have been considerably lowered - most lofts are now between $245K and $299K including parking

Back