Driving around New England Pix's

^I took those pictures around 2:30 Saturday afternoon. Parts of downtown (like the area near Olympia Tower on Purchase and Webster Bank on Pleasant) are mostly just offices and are deserted on the weekends (during business hours on a weekday, it's a different story). However, there was a holiday event and there were LOTS of people elsewhere (in fact, I think in the distance on one photo you can see the back of a classic fire truck signaling the end of a "Santa Parade"). I avoided the groups so as not to deal with crowds while snapping photos. Parking was actually difficult to find and there were lots of people in and around the galleries and shops and museums along and just off of William St in the Whaling District. It's gotten to the point where walking around between 11pm and 2am downtown on a Friday night you'll encounter a very good number of bar hoppers and late night diners going from place to place. The early evening tends to be the busiest on the weekends and this one was no different. Many downtown restaurants don't open for lunch on weekends (i.e. Cork, Waterfront and Catwalk, etc... that's why no one was in front of those places) and most of the larger scheduled events and shows were later in the evening (between 4-9pm).

Long story short, there were a good number of people in town the other day. More than usual, but it's not normally nearly as dead as those pictures make it look; especially later in the evening on the weekends (and obviously when people are working). It's no Newport (and never will be), but it's no Brockton either.

I've always liked New Bedford,as a child we had an Aunt who lived there down by the harbor and we would visit her every summer. She lived there till her death 3 yrs ago,thanks for posting!

Lrfox--New Bedford's looking good. Glad to see this.

However, is it more than just surface?

What are they doing to differentiate it from any other rebounding seaport community. (I have been catching up with your postings, btw.)

Not that I like comparisons such as this: is it trying to be Portsmouth, NH on steroids, so to speak?

I am intrigued.

^Good questions, garbribre, I'll address them the best I can.

I do think the improvements are more than just on the surface. It's been a long time coming, in my opinion. Many "rebounding" cities in New England are relying heavily on an "artistic renaissance" in their downtown areas and New Bedford is no different. However, there seems to be a genuine attraction to New Bedford for the artistic community that many of the other cities (e.g. nearby Fall River) don't have.

I think this attraction stems from some of the following:
1) Cheap rents (by coastal MA standards, anyway)
2) Preserved, picturesque coastal community
3) deep historical roots
4) a pre-existing arts community to act as a foundation for newcomers.
5) medium sized university nearby

Like I said, most cities are really pushing hard to attract artists (some following the lead of Pawtucket, RI and offering free studio space). New Bedford hasn't had to do much to attract artists, in fact I'd go so far as to say many of the artists came before the incentives from the city. New Bedford has had a decent arts community due to the affordability, the history and preserved historic districts, and the location on some of New England's best coastline. The art museum has been around for a while, the Zeiterion Theatre has been popular for shows, and the Whaling Museum has maintained the arts as a significant part of its draw. Combine that with the relative affordability of New Bedford, and you have all the right ingredients for an artists' community.

The arts however, are just the tip of the iceberg and don't differentiate it from anyone else really. The big difference lies in New Bedford's fishing heritage (matched by no other city in the nation with the POSSIBLE exception of Gloucester) AND the large ethnic population. Over 40% of the city's population claims Portuguese heritage and many of those are first and second generation. There are also large numbers of Brazilians, Guatemalans, and Mayans. The city's culture is HEAVILY influenced by these ethnic backgrounds and is now starting to benefit from them.

The cultures mentioned above provide culinary, recreation and shopping options unique to this region. The Portuguese culture has really had a major effect on the city's restaurant industry. New Bedford has had a bad reputation, but the restaurants have always been pretty good. Even many restaurants not intended to be a Portuguese restaurant have ended up heavily influenced by Portuguese cooking and sauces. Even in the city's toughest times, this culinary influence has provided a unique dining experience that can really only be found in this area.

The emergence of the fast-growing artist community coinciding with the existing culinary community has really opened new doors for New Bedford. When you combine this with the already sound base of good existing museums (and a new one- the Ocean Explorium) and a picturesque downtown, good things are bound to happen and it's really starting to show. Downtown has almost doubled the number of restaurants and greatly increased the quality at the same time. The traffic created by office workers during the week and visitors on the weekend has paved the way for new stores to take up shop in town. Rents have skyrocketed (which has been tough on some of the longer standing shopkeepers in town) but that hasn't stopped people from expanding.

The city is attracting external interest as well. No longer is Portuguese the only type of ethnic food you'll find in town. Newer restaurants serve all sorts of types of cuisine. Cafe Balena serves Sicilian, Cork serves Spanish wine and tapas, Spicy Lime and Catwalk serve authentic Thai food, the Waterfront Bar and Grille serves upscale creative seafood, No Problemo is a great burrito joint, and a new upscale Korean place is slated to open early next year.

Nightlife is an area where I've seen the most improvement. It used to be that someone from the Fall River/ New Bedford area went to Providence, Newport, Bristol or Boston for a night out as there were no options in either Fall River or NB (no safe ones anyway). With the addition of a bunch of newer, more upscale bars, New Bedford has a real nightlife scene now.... and one that's safe. I actually went out when I was home over Thanksgiving and was quite impressed. There are a good number of bars, clubs, and lounges that really cater to a better crowd. The tough crowds have been pushed outside of the downtown area to dingier bars and clubs. New bars and clubs are opening almost monthly. Hibernia Irish Pub is the newest addition (3 weeks old) and it's great. They have 19 beers on draft (inc. Guinness Extra Cold) as well as some of their own home made brews ("Hibernia Ale"). They feature live music every night, including Celtic Bands every Sunday. Other bars offer interesting features as well; Waterfront's kitchen is open until 1am and the bar serves drinks on the deck over looking the ocean and Catwalk has a heated (for the winter) roof deck and a large bar downstairs. It's actually fun to go out in New Bedford which is weird because I wouldn't consider doing it even 3 years ago.

Ferry service to Marthas Vinyard from the State Pier (in its 6th year of existence) as well as service to Cuttyhunk has been helpful in attracting people downtown as well. The waterfront hotel will provide a place to stay for people downtown which is absolutely necessary. Not having a hotel downtown has been hurtful to business down there.

I wouldn't say New Bedford is trying to be Portsmouth NH on steroids. If you had to compare to other New England cities I'd pick the following three for reasons which I'll list below:

Gloucester: obvious comparisons due to the fishing industry. Both towns have a very blue collar population and the problems that come with a large fishing fleet (drugs, alcoholism, etc). Both cities also have an underutilized waterfront and features that could be attractive to tourists.

Portland ME: Let me clarify, Portland is an already successful city. It's also smaller than New Bedford even though it's the economic center of a larger area than New Bedford could ever be the center of. However, they share a lot of the same DNA. They both have strong maritime histories as well as large existing artistic communities. Portland's downtown is very similar to New Bedford's (in both size and layout) in that both cities have a "newer" (though not really that new) downtown business area that directly abuts an old, preserved, waterfront district complete with cobbled streets, galleries, shops and restaurants. Portland's West End is VERY similar to New Bedford's West End both architecturally and and layout wise. Two of the biggest comparisons I can draw are that they are right next to the downtown area and are full of elegant old captian's homes and beautiful period architecture.

Now, Portland is far more gentrified and established than New Bedford. Downtown and the Old Port area have more businesses and are a true destination. The West End in Portland is one the city's nicest neighborhoods. New Bedford still has a ways to go, but it's getting closer.

Last comparison is Lowell MA. New Bedford IS a seaport, but after the whaling industry died out, texitles and manufacturing became the predominant industry in NB. Also like Lowell, New Bedford has to compete with a similarly sized city nearby for regional supremacy (Lawrence for Lowell, Fall River for New Bedford). Both cities are also making strides to attract businesses and tourism to their downtown areas and old mill buildings (which has seen moderate success in both cases). I feel New Bedford has a slight edge over Lowell given the addition of the seaport and coast as part of the urban fabric as well.

New Bedford looks good, but it has a ways to go. The improvement has to spread out of downtown. In many neighborhoods, crime and gang violence are still a major issue. In order for New Bedford to attract more than just day-trippers and overnight tourists (read: in order to attract residents) to more than just downtown and the West End (and outlying suburban neighborhoods), safety needs to be better protected and the public school system needs a lift. People who are relocating to the area still choose Dartmouth or Fairhaven as alternatives to the city as mass transit in NB sucks, the schools are crappy, and aside from a few bright spots, crime is a problem. The city cannot continue to improve until this is solved.

New Bedford has had to compete with Fall River (and other "Gateway cities") for funds and business in the region for years. They used to be considered on the same par ("run-down mill cities") but New Bedford has emerged as the predominant city on the South Coast. It's always going to compete with Providence, Fall River, Taunton, etc... but it's finally starting to find a niche.

The coming of the commuter rail bodes very well for New Bedford. A rail link to Boston will help economic growth as well as attract new white-collar residents and increase housing costs. The downgrading of Rt 18 (set to start this spring) from a highway to a surface avenue will help reconnect the city to its waterfront.

In all, New Bedford is looking up, but it's got a ways to go. I think it'll get there though.

I feel New Bedford has a slight edge over Lowell given the addition of the seaport and coast as part of the urban fabric as well.
QUOTE]

Lrfox,
good post with lots of info from someone who knows the area well. I would add, however, what I perceive as advantages that Lowell may have over New Bedford. It is already served by Commuter Rail and is located on 495 and Rte. 3 and generally seems to be more accessible to white collar jobs. The Merrimack Valley seems to be more within the economic center of gravity compared to the South Coast

^That's very true. I think Lowell benefits from being on 495 and 3. It's also (from what I hear) a destination at times for those from Southern NH as well as that part of the Merrimack Valley. New Bedford is on the coast and is more of an outpost than the core of an area. It seems that people commute away from New Bedford (West Towards Providence, North toward Boston) as opposed to commuters traveling through Lowell.

Thanks for the detailed evaluation, Lrfox.

I can't think of anything else to ask.;)

I was always fascinated by what Lowell went through during its 80s resurgence. Two of my 'pioneering' friends lived there before it 'turned around,' so I got to watch it develop rather closely, likely as you have with Na Bedfah. I also spent much time during the 60s and 70s in Portsmouth NH and New London/Groton CT. Could be kind of the same, annnnd kinda not.

Now, back to the drive-by pics, boston02124.

^Nice! I really like Lowell. Looking forward to it!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-1.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-2.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-3.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-4.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-5.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-6.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-7.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-8.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-9.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-10.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-11.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-12.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-13.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-14.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-15.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-16.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-17.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-18.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-19.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-20.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-21.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-22.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-23.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-24.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-25.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-26.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-27.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-28.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-29.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-30.jpg
my destination
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-31.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-32.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-33.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-34.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-35.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-36.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-37.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-38.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-39.jpg

Now this is my idea of a real city.

It looks even better now than I remember. (Been over 15 years since I've been there.)

I like to see that some of the mill buildings remain for commerical and light manufacturing, rather than being turned into loft condos or whatever.

Ruins are great, but what's with the derelict one near the end of your series?

Also, the Wang building really is an unfortunate looking structure even though it did help to define the resurgence of the city for a while, placing Lowell back on the world map, so-to-speak.

Thanks, 02124.

Re: Driveing around New England Pix's

Went to New Bedford Friday before the snow ,I know the city is well covered here on AB but I took pix's anyway and will try not to show too many repeats.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-41.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-42.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-43.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-44.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-45.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-46.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-47.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-48.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-49.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-50.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-51.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-52.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-53.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-54.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-55.jpg
my destination
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-56.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-58.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-59.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-60.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-61.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-62.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-63.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-64.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-65.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-66.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-67.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-68.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-70.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-71.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-72.jpg
Fairhavan Mass.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-73.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-74.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-75.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-76.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-77.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-78.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-79.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-80.jpg

^Thanks for posting these. feel free to post as many as you want (I don't mind, at least). When were the "repeats" from? it seems as if they were earlier in the year as none of the Christmas decor is up.

There's one building you posted downtown with some boards on the windows- that's currently being renovated into loft apartments with some ground floor retail. good stuff.

Lowell looks great too, I always love seeing photos of that city.

^These are all from one day,well about 15 mins in the city,the repeats were of the same building or street that you or another person had already posted,At any rate great city with some nice old stately buildings and on the ocean as well!

quick spin thru Cohassett lots of nice home Typical New England town sq.
111.jpg
110.jpg
driveing too fast!
109.jpg
108.jpg
107.jpg
106.jpg
105.jpg
104.jpg
103-1.jpg
101.jpg
100-1.jpg

Cohasset has the nicest town common I have ever seen. I love that you can see the water from the common.

Quaint - kitsch = sublime

Hmm I don't remember seeing water,I'll have to look next time,thanks for posting I'm about 5 towns behind that I need to post!

some pix's I took while passing thru Clinton Mass Wachusetts Dam?
003-5.jpg
couple old home's
019clintonmass.jpg
0199.jpg
0192.jpg
Springfield Mass from highway
004-3.jpg

That dam is very elegant. They respected large public works back in the day.

Back