EXP | 795 Columbus Avenue | Northeastern University

20220517_201355.jpg
20220517_201752.jpg
20220517_201731.jpg
20220517_202517.jpg
20220517_200701.jpg

bonus train photo
20220517_201503.jpg

How much more expensive is a facade like this compared to ordinary commercial real estate buildings?

How much more expensive is a facade like this compared to ordinary commercial real estate buildings?
The short answer is a lot. This has what it would guess to be a lot of additional scope cross a few trades which adds complexity and cost in addition to just material costs, not to mention coordination on the design team and contractor (I wonder what the shop drawings are like?). I'd WAG at least 30 percent more over a simple glass box but wouldn't be surprised if it was higher.

The short answer is a lot. This has what it would guess to be a lot of additional scope cross a few trades which adds complexity and cost in addition to just material costs, not to mention coordination on the design team and contractor (I wonder what the shop drawings are like?). I'd WAG at least 30 percent more over a simple glass box but wouldn't be surprised if it was higher.

Expensive items to consider:
Since this is a Payette project, all the glass is triple glazed.
Curved glass - Curved glass is expensive. This also means you need curved extrusions. Originally, the project had more actually "curved" areas that were VE'd to be straight facets.
Stainless steel sunshades - Another layer of complexity that requires its own engineering, coordination, fabrication, etc.
Custom fabricated steel "T" profile storefront - This scope hasn't been started yet, but its at the ground level and therefore the finish level will need to look very nice (AESS level 3)

“If you fixed this fin, You’d be attending this school now.”

Back