Ferdinand Building Renovation + Addition | Dudley Sq | Roxbury

Re: Dudley Sq's Ferdinand Building to be Restored/ Renovated

GetImage.ashx

!!!!!

Is this the current rendering? I'll die [happily] if this comes out like this.

That looks cool as hell from that one particular angle, shown at dusk.

What's "udley rauarc" mean?

Dudley Sq.

The type selection is TERRIBLE

I actually kind of dig it.

This could turn into a downsized riff on the State Transportation Building.

Demolition seems to be coming to an end. Three facades still stand. The other 2 are on the west side of the site (right) next to Dudley station.

Dudley Sq. 10/18

P.S. A crew from Goldman Environmental Consultants was busy drilling and staking out Parcel 10.

Holy shit, Mecanoo IS doing this!! Their FIRST ever US project (albeit highly timid given Mecanoo's architectural prowess) is Dudley Square!!!

Mecanoo.nl said:
dudley municipal center
boston, usa

programme
16,700 m2 office building for Boston Public Schools integrating historic buildings and facades with community space and retail.
client
City of Boston
project address
Dudley Square Main Street, Boston, USA
design
2011 -2012
realization
2012 -2014

http://www.mecanoo.nl/Default.aspx?tabid=116&DetailId=907&pcode=A546

I absolutely love Mecanoo. I studied them extensively throughout arch school.

Note: Non-English speaking Europeans tend to use the word "realize/realization" (when talking in English) instead of construction or build when referring to the act of constructing the project.

Demolition seems to be coming to an end. Three facades still stand. The other 2 are on the west side of the site (right) next to Dudley station.

Dudley Sq. 10/18

P.S. A crew from Goldman Environmental Consultants was busy drilling and staking out Parcel 10.

If that what it takes to 'preserve' the building, it seems like it would be easier to just tear the damn thing down and rebuild a replica from scratch. It looks like someone is trying to convince himself that he's 'saving' the old building.

If that what it takes to 'preserve' the building, it seems like it would be easier to just tear the damn thing down and rebuild a replica from scratch. It looks like someone is trying to convince himself that he's 'saving' the old building.

This is the economics of building with quality materials these days, I guess. It's cheaper to go through this agony than to buy real materials and then pay real laborers. (Not to knock on construction guys, but they don't seem to be putting the same amount of skill into it. It's not their fault necessarily, but they're just not going to be paid enough to build the same exact thing in a quality fashion.)

This is pretty much the same story as Filene's. There's no building there anymore, just two (very nice) external walls, waiting for a new building to be erected behind them.

This is the opposite of preservation. Better then all out demolition? I guess, but the US secretary of the Interior's definition explicitly states this is to be a worst case scenario route; it is in reality used all too often.

Had anyone seen the interior of this building recently? What kind of shape was it in? I've toured more older buildings in rough areas than I can remember. All too often, The original interiors are modified and damaged to the point where it's really not feasible to restore them. Not without serious help via grants and private donors anyway.

I've posted the other photos of the project from the architectural firm's website. I did not repeat the one already posted.

GetImage.ashx

GetImage.ashx

GetImage.ashx

GetImage.ashx

GetImage.ashx

Fantastic. That's the Mecanoo we know and love.

Dainty Dot originally was to be a similar facadectomy; the renderings suggested that 120 Kingston began about two feet beyond the facade. When they demolished Dainty Dot, you understood why it would be just an artifact facade; wood floors, wood joists.

This looks like it will be better than the original.

Great B&W photo above. Here's Warren and Washington sts, 1899.

dudley1899.jpg

The map explains the facade gap on Washington St.; right-of-way for the Elevated.

Is the restored Dartmouth Hotel the street facade after the "Qua" sign?

dartmouth_hotel_elevation.jpg

Last edited:

More photos from a city website.

dscn3657.jpg

dscn3636.jpg

^^^^ Curtis and Waterman buildings

dscn3643.jpg

^^^^ Is the Dartmouth Hotel frame left in the distance?

Back