Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

I think Millennium tower was doing close to that at the peak of construction but it took awhile to get to the point.

When was that? The 10-20 floor range or the 20-30 floor range?

It never was. I worked at 75 Federal during the construction and could see the work from my office window. The fastest the construction ever got was approximately 1.5 floors per week. They were never doing 3-4 floors a week with that project.

It never was. I worked at 75 Federal during the construction and could see the work from my office window. The fastest the construction ever got was approximately 1.5 floors per week. They were never doing 3-4 floors a week with that project.

Yeah, 1-1.5 a week max from my vantage on Summer St everyday.

EISpsVWh.jpg

Made a finished version from that picture to see how it looks from that vantage point. Looks good.

^ Very nice mock-up of the final view.

Two nice attributes there in that view:
1) One Dalton blocks most of the Sheraton Boston.
2) 30 Dalton blocks almost all of the Hilton.

Very positive change to the view!

^Agreed, and blocking the Sheraton makes the Christian Science tower look better. Very nice collection of eras in that shot, with the weakest of the four big towers being Menino's Hat.

I was staying at the Sheraton last night for a bachelor party - 26th floor view. The window makes the images a little wonky.

l05ySTu.jpg

jD2qB7x.jpg

FXGpes4.jpg

Last edited:
So, what are we at here? 2 floors in the last 45 days? Still waiting for the long-promised 2 ore more floor per week pace. Heck, I'd take 1 floor every 2-3 weeks at this point.

So, what are we at here? 2 floors in the last 45 days? Still waiting for the long-promised 2 ore more floor per week pace. Heck, I'd take 1 floor every 2-3 weeks at this point.

I don't think 2 floors per week has ever been "promised". That's been tossed around more as theoretical maximum speed...

This is just getting "liftoff" from the podium, so I'd expect things to start moving faster right about now. That's what we saw with Millennium.

I don't think 2 floors per week has ever been "promised". That's been tossed around more as theoretical maximum speed...

Right, and it seems there were some folks speculating that since the floor plates are smaller than Millennium's, this would be able to shoot up more floors per month. But I don't think floor plate size is the critical limiting factor, I think the needed cure time for recently completely floors below the current level being poured is the critical factor. I'd guess it would move about the same number of floors per month as Millennium did; I'd guess they could reach that speed with somewhat smaller crews scaled down for the smaller size.

This is just getting "liftoff" from the podium, so I'd expect things to start moving faster right about now. That's what we saw with Millennium.

Yup, that matches my memory of Millennium, which is next door to where I work, and this part of the speculation seems highly probable to be right.

Back